The season was canceled because, despite five months to work things out, the Big Ten had no plan for player safety

knapplc

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This is what makes me so bad. Jeff Brohm and Ryan Day who are football coaches trying to lead their teams have managed to come out with realistic schedules and in Brohm's case incredibly detailed. Yet the B1G hasn't released a single detail other than saying "spring season" without a mention of if that means a January start, March start or how many games nothing. What does everyone do over there on a regular basis?

Because there is no intent to play.  It only exists to keep teams from fielding independent schedules.  Then in Spring they can say it's not safe and postpone until Fall of '21.  After calling off the conference season, this whole kerfuffle could have been avoided if they allowed teams to schedule 4 non-conference games.  You could space it out 3 weeks at a time for a Covid-19 buffer if they wanted to.  There is no way, especially with the Big Ten's climate, that they are playing a full slate in Spring, even if that fantasy nonsense got off the ground.  The decision seems heavy-handed when it didn't need to be.  I wonder how much the recruiting  is going to suffer and transfer loss is going to accelerate?  SEC teams never had an issue with pushing out a guy for someone who is better.  A few games and you throw a bone to kids and coaches who have busted their tail for the reward of a season.  If it doesn't work following the safety protocols, you can shut it down but at least it shows you tried.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Warren is a lawyer, and probably gave his legal view to the Big Ten university presidents, which led to the "postponement" of the season.  He threw in the potential Spring season to not allow schools from scheduling games on their own.  Allowing the schools to schedule games on their own would do two things, 1) open up the schools to potential legal action from players/fans getting COVID, and 2) open up the Big Ten office to severe backlash if schools were able to have a number of games without any COVID issues.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Warren is a lawyer, and probably gave his legal view to the Big Ten university presidents, which led to the "postponement" of the season.  He threw in the potential Spring season to not allow schools from scheduling games on their own.  Allowing the schools to schedule games on their own would do two things, 1) open up the schools to potential legal action from players/fans getting COVID, and 2) open up the Big Ten office to severe backlash if schools were able to have a number of games without any COVID issues.

I disagree with the first.  If they follow best practice safety protocols that other conferences are doing, those good faith efforts keep the lawyers away IMO.  The second I can agree with but it is going to happen anyway if the ACC, SEC, and Big XII are able to play.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

If Kevin Warren wasn’t responsible for the big10 not having their protocols and processes in place To play this fall should there be a season, whose responsibility was it? Who other than Kevin was supposed to get that done in the last 5 months? Should that have been the Omaha world herald? University of Iowa? Me? My mom? Kevin’s dog? His secretary? The cafeteria bus boy? Who is supposed to do that?? Who can we pin it on? 

Who is responsible for laying out what spring football will look like and how it will be handled safely ? So the players have something they can legitimately look forward to working towards and playing? Nothing, zilch has been communicated because no work had been put into it. 

This talk about just being a figurehead is baloney, Jim Delaney led from the front. He put forth his opinion and made things happen, he wasn’t just a ballot counter. Warren was a two faced empty suit at his previous job and I’m not impressed with him at all where he is now. 

Uhhh.... I think he told you exactly who he thought was responsible and your response actually answers your own question. Re-read his post and put some thought into what you've read. He's taking the position that our leaders, political and otherwise, and the general public, all have responsibility for the season being canceled. It's not Kevin Warren's fault that businesses prematurely reopened, public gatherings prematurely resumed, and people refused to wear face masks and appropriately socially distance. Warren is just doing his best to clean up the mess while relying on medical and educational professionals -- the exact people he should be relying upon. The fact that you can't watch your favorite team play football every Saturday is small potatoes compared to the significant health concerns and uncertain long-term impact of the virus.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, luvthecorn said:

Uhhh.... I think he told you exactly who he thought was responsible and your response actually answers your own question. Re-read his post and put some thought into what you've read. He's taking the position that our leaders, political and otherwise, and the general public, all have responsibility for the season being canceled. It's not Kevin Warren's fault that businesses prematurely reopened, public gatherings prematurely resumed, and people refused to wear face masks and appropriately socially distance. Warren is just doing his best to clean up the mess while relying on medical and educational professionals -- the exact people he should be relying upon. The fact that you can't watch your favorite team play football every Saturday is small potatoes compared to the significant health concerns and uncertain long-term impact of the virus.

There are 3 p5 conferences still scheduled to play a fall season this year. Why can they play but we can’t? Blame the Chinese? The government? Mean non maskers? Protesters/ looters? 

What can Be done right now that is in Someone’s  power to get football being played this fall? Without having to convince people that the data clearly shows the risk to healthy college age kids is nearly nonexistent and for them less dangerous than the flu. 

The answer comes partly from thought leadership, planning and communication. Mr Warren hasn’t shown it. Part may also go  to political leanings in different areas. A map of red and blue states pretty much correlates to who is playing football this season and who isn’t- the tie states are in heavy red.

In some parts of the country football is important, in others it isn’t so much. 

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/president

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
39 minutes ago, luvthecorn said:

I can't imagine hashing all of this stuff out over again and again for the next 12 months in this forum.

It's almost as depressing as not having any football to look forward to in two weeks.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

In some parts of the country football is important, in others it isn’t so much. 

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/president

Not trying to police your comments but we're not really supposed to talk politics in the football forum. It makes for a better environment, honestly. I realize the other poster kind of did this as well.

There's a sub-forum for arguing politics.   :waste

No worries, thought it was Amazing almost perfect direct  correlation between who is playing football and who isn’t. If it needs to be  nixed, So be it.

My thought process is it seems like the leadership of the conference and the political leanings of the leagues geographic footprint seems to be a factor in who is playing and who is not playing. The map was kind of compelling. 

The university presidents seem to be mirroring perfectly the political leanings of their respective states. One type of majority in a state consistently doesn’t want to play and the other side when in a majority in a state consistently wants to play. Interesting stuff. 

Utah not surprisingly is the outlier in the pac

nebraska and Indians are the outliers in the Big10 (Nebraska not really because we voted to play) .  With Iowa, Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin on the fence. 

southeast, big 12 and acc are all perfectly aligned across the board, with just Virginia and Boston college as an outlier 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

But if they think that is even a slight possibility, why say fall football is cancelled?  Why not push back the schedule back 3-4 weeks?  

(For that matter, why announce a schedule in the first place, but it's obvious there was not forethought going into any of this.)

I guess so they can stay fluid.

Although I’m still baffled about the lack of communication between chancellors and athletic departments. Why would 3 or 4 university athletic departments make some sort of statement about arranging other opponents in the first day or two after the season was canceled? Why doesn’t our own University system make a statement? Is there a gag order, and if so- why? Why did they let Moos and Frost potentially make fools of themselves? Who actually voted?  

I guess it’s mum because either something is in the works or they thought there is a rat. Maybe Frost is the rat? Maybe they excluded us on purpose as punishment for leaking the informal weekend vote. Maybe our chancellor wasn’t included? I am wild with unsubstantiated speculation but if things aren’t explained to me that’s what I do. 

• Plus1 2