Nebraska is a fully-committed member of the Big Ten

knapplc

37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We aren't going anywhere, folks. 

Stick it, national pundits.

PhuuCUF.jpg

You just killed a bunch of threads :lol:

Seriously, academics is going to win out in these situations.  Academic partnership in B1G >>> Big XII.

This got overblown because dumb and dumber (Howard and Wilbon - you decide which is which) said things to get themselves noticed.  The fact they said nothing negative about OSU's statements about looking at the fall tells you all you need to know.  They thought Nebraska was an easy target.  Both of them are "old-school" Big Ten guys.  Wilbon was at NW when it was 10 teams.  PSU had just joined when Howard was playing.  I'm sure both hate all 4 of the new teams being part of "their" club.

Frost voiced an opinion on exploring the opportunity to play, Warren had a clumsy response, and ESPN, to drive ratings made it into a controversy that Nebraska need to leave the Big Ten.  ESPN is getting desperate, since if the SEC/ACC cancel their season, they got bupkis to fill all those programming hours this fall.  Oh, and Shatel decides to post a bunch of blather - further inflaming the fan base.  Both ESPN and Shatel had the same motivation - their jobs are going to suck this fall if they have no college football.  The most hilarious part of this is after all the criticism, ESPN would be the first one knocking on Nebraska's door to televise any games Nebraska plays (assuming all the legal stuff was worked out). 

Nebraska fans need to remember why Nebraska joined the Big Ten.  Athletics were our bargaining chip, but the benefit to us was always going to be the academics.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

Seriously, academics is going to win out in these situations.

Speaking of which, the UNL Faculty Senate threw together a straw poll last night asking if the faculty wanted to leave the Big Ten. It was, apparently, real, and before the public got ahold of it (it was open for anyone to vote), the faculty voted 90/10 to stay in the conference.

It's always been a stupid conversation. The Big Ten is a home run for a school like Nebraska. Unfortunately, too many people view it as only a football conference and judge its merits accordingly. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

At the end of the day, we all have a price.  I never thought for a second we would do anything that would end us being in the B1G.  However, what does this do to our struggling program now and in the future if the other Power 5 has a season?  Do we end up losing a bunch of recruits?  Do we end up losing a bunch of current players?  How does this impact the top tier teams in the B1G when Bama and the likes come a calling on the top tier athletes in the B1G.  There are a lot of questions and very few answers right now. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's always been a stupid conversation. The Big Ten is a home run for a school like Nebraska. Unfortunately, too many people view it as only a football conference and judge its merits accordingly. 

I always wonder how things would breakout between those that went to and graduated from UNL vs those that are fans because they grew up in Nebraska.  My assumption (I wish we could get a poll) is that those that actually got degrees from UNL would be in favor of the Big Ten by a very wide margin, while those that never attended were more in favor of going back to the Big XII.  I don't have any data to back that up, just a hunch.

1 minute ago, Rochelobe said:

I always wonder how things would breakout between those that went to and graduated from UNL vs those that are fans because they grew up in Nebraska.  My assumption (I wish we could get a poll) is that those that actually got degrees from UNL would be in favor of the Big Ten by a very wide margin, while those that never attended were more in favor of going back to the Big XII.  I don't have any data to back that up, just a hunch.

I didn't grow up in Nebraska or go to Nebraska.  I was happy when they joined the Big 10 because I lived in IN at the time so I knew making it to games was a lot easier for me.  Saw all the games at NW and Purdue since they are both about 1hr and half from me.  Now I live in NC...  I don't care what conference they are in lol.  

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

And now we wait to see which players transfer out to play elsewhere.

I'm not convinced this is the end of this by any means. You don't put the work in that NU has put in behind the scenes and just lay down because a commish who was unwilling to put much if any apparent work in says so. 

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I didn't grow up in Nebraska or go to Nebraska.  I was happy when they joined the Big 10 because I lived in IN at the time so I knew making it to games was a lot easier for me.  Saw all the games at NW and Purdue since they are both about 1hr and half from me.  Now I live in NC...  I don't care what conference they are in lol.  

Thanks.  I think that Nebraska fans that were already in the Big Ten footprint, or nearby, were probably at worst ambivalent, or in your case happy, since you could more easily go see games vs when going to Big XII games.  I assume it would probably flip for any fans in places like Texas, etc.

4 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

And now we wait to see which players transfer out to play elsewhere.

This angle is severely overblown IMO. How many teams still have scholarships remaining for this season? How many schools are already past enrollment deadlines? You're gonna leave Nebraska to go play somewhere in CUSA when there's no guarantee they play either? Not to mention most if not all kids would need a waiver to be eligible to play this year. 

If a kid was already planning or thinking about leaving, this may be a good excuse to go. But I doubt there is some mass exodus coming as a result of this. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1