Nebraska is a fully-committed member of the Big Ten

knapplc

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I glanced at one article and that's it, but it was Tom Shatel talking about us leaving the B1G and it was stupid from what Iread.

I think stupid is being kind. 

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/shatel-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-nebraska-in-the-big-ten/article_ef5bd995-3b11-5967-8e32-6d6cff4a1cab.html

A couple of gems:

They were received in all corners of the internet world. On Tuesday, I was a guest on a sports talk show in San Francisco.

First question: “Is Nebraska bolting for the Big 12?”

I don’t hear any denials coming out of Lincoln. Or Chicago.

That was Nebraska doing more than asserting its displeasure with the Big Ten. It looked like a cry for help, a flare to any other conference that might be paying attention.

Say, one to the south.

If you’re Nebraska, it doesn’t conjure a lot of trust in the Big Ten. In fact, with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan coaches also defying the Big Ten, the league looks less and less unified all the time.

He wrote this, most likely on Tuesday morning with a couple of tweaks the next day. (It says original pub date of Aug 11, which was Tuesday).  This was within most likely a couple of hours of Frost speaking out and Warren's initial sort of rambling response on the Big Ten Network.

I think Shatel thought he really got out in front of something and would look like a genius.  Now that we are another day a out from that and the statement NU put up on the website about being committed to the Big Ten, it makes him look just silly.

I suppose NU could still force the issue, get kicked out and move to the Big XII.  However, I doubt it would be due to anything that he tries to depict in this article.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I glanced at one article and that's it, but it was Tom Shatel talking about us leaving the B1G and it was stupid from what I read. Not saying he started it but he's one of the biggest names in journalism and therefore made it sound legit.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/shatel-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-nebraska-in-the-big-ten/article_ef5bd995-3b11-5967-8e32-6d6cff4a1cab.html

I'm pretty sure Shatel was not the originator.  He was piggy-backing off what a lot of national guys were already talking about.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly. But what it does say is, if we do play any games, it will be with the blessing of the conference.

Since Warren is new and not a hardened, set in their way veteran commissioner, maybe Frost and Moos think there’s a good chance of some behind the scenes negotiating about playing a few games with the conference also getting some of the $.  For NU, it can’t just be about the money.   If we’re on of only a few teams that can or are willing  play, it could be seen as a boon for recruiting too.  It would be hard, though, for Warren to have to walk back his comments on the matter.   Plus other B1G teams may view us playing as an unfair advantage.   I say the most likely scenario, unfortunately is no NU games until fall 2021.  

3 hours ago, Rochelobe said:

I think others have used the reasoning that players would view the SEC/ACC much more dedicated to football, while the Big Ten was more willing to suspend their careers.  Meaning that the Big Ten would be more likely to do the same thing again in the future.  So, those that were in favor of that were of the impression that it could be used as negative recruiting against the Big Ten schools by telling the kids "don't go there, they aren't concerned with your career". 

I'm not sure I completely buy into it, but it would probably work on 5 stars which tend to be more treated like the most important people on campus.  I doubt it would have hardly any effect on 3 and 4 star recruits who don't get the same 10 top programs recruiting them that the 5 star guys tend to have.  It always seems many of the undecided 5 stars always have 4 or 5 of the ~10 most successful programs on their consideration list.

I'm holding out hope that this could be a recruiting trope going forward, if we wind up playing with the Southerners.  But it will probably just be one of many sales pitches. 

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

What purpose does a spring season serve?  Assuming the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 have their seasons; the NC will get crowned from one of these conferences.  The best one can hope for with a spring season is winning the conference.  However, does it really?  I'd assume there will be several players from the elite teams that will opt out especially if the NFL season goes as planned in order to get prepared for the NFL draft.  Then, how long will the spring season last?  Will players have the proper amount of time to recover from injuries and such before the 21' fall season?   

I was wondering this myself. So the BIG10 and PAC12 are out. The SEC and ACC and BIG12 are still playing. Assuming they play all their games, play their conference title games. Do bowl games go on as planned? Does the playoff go on as planned? Due to the financial gain of the playoff and bowl games I assume life goes on with the 3 conference's who played their season. Too much money to make off TV ratings for the playoff. 

IF those 3 conferences manage to pull off a season and the playoff happens. WOW what a bad look for the big10 and pac12 sitting it out. All the $$ lost, exposure gone. How much of a setback will it be for recruiting. If those schools have game recruiting visits- we stand no chance to win a recruiting battle if we cant show a gametime experience. 

This has all just shown how weak the NCAA is and that there needs to be a governing body that all P5 conferences answer to. The NCAA needs to either shut it all down or everyone plays. Is it not a competitive advantage for 3/5 of the conferences to play their games, host recruits, collect their tv revenue etc. 

This is absolutely stupid. It's like the NFL sitting back and saying nothing. Then the NFC says we are going to play our season but the AFC says they are going to sit the season out. No the NFL is one unified entity. College football needs to be unified.

3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

What purpose does a spring season serve?  Assuming the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 have their seasons; the NC will get crowned from one of these conferences.  The best one can hope for with a spring season is winning the conference.  However, does it really?  I'd assume there will be several players from the elite teams that will opt out especially if the NFL season goes as planned in order to get prepared for the NFL draft.  Then, how long will the spring season last?  Will players have the proper amount of time to recover from injuries and such before the 21' fall season?   

I was wondering this myself. So the BIG10 and PAC12 are out. The SEC and ACC and BIG12 are still playing. Assuming they play all their games, play their conference title games. Do bowl games go on as planned? Does the playoff go on as planned? Due to the financial gain of the playoff and bowl games I assume life goes on with the 3 conference's who played their season. Too much money to make off TV ratings for the playoff. 

IF those 3 conferences manage to pull off a season and the playoff happens. WOW what a bad look for the big10 and pac12 sitting it out. All the $$ lost, exposure gone. How much of a setback will it be for recruiting. If those schools have game recruiting visits- we stand no chance to win a recruiting battle if we cant show a gametime experience. 

This has all just shown how weak the NCAA is and that there needs to be a governing body that all P5 conferences answer to. The NCAA needs to either shut it all down or everyone plays. Is it not a competitive advantage for 3/5 of the conferences to play their games, host recruits, collect their tv revenue etc. 

This is absolutely stupid. It's like the NFL sitting back and saying nothing. Then the NFC says we are going to play our season but the AFC says they are going to sit the season out. No the NFL is one unified entity. College football needs to be unified.

Also, are there any schools that pass the Huskers on the all-time wins list this season if we sit the season out but 3 conferences play? Edit- it appears our spot at #8 is good for awhile. Man not that long ago we were #4 I think.

5 hours ago, Husker03 said:

I'm not convinced this is the end of this by any means. You don't put the work in that NU has put in behind the scenes and just lay down because a commish who was unwilling to put much if any apparent work in says so. 

Good thing the Presidents and chancellors i/e the one's who actually voted to end the season were willing. 

Wait what?

These developments have provided clarity for me on several issues.  First the Big 10 is not a good fit for Nebraska culturally, economically, academically.  And we should be looking long term to leave and rejoin some iteration of the Big 12.  Most of the Big 10 states and schools are Blue states politically with different economies from ours, no regard for the economy of Lincoln, or our lack of an NFL team to help support businesses.  

But before our football team leaves, we need to kick their teeth in for a year or two.  And then invite them to Lincoln to see what 5 NC trophies look like when they are all lined up.  

I didn't hear Michael Wilbon talking smack when Tom Osborne was beating the hell out of Penn St. or when Zac Taylor knocked off Chad Henne.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

The spring season is a carrot to dangle in front of the teams so they stay quiet and toe the line. It will not happen.

That’s exactly right. As you and others have mentioned, Warren put the spring season out there as the poison pill so teams couldn’t go out looking for games on their own. Warren knows darn well that the chance of a spring season is slim, but he didn’t want his league teams to pull off playing games on their own and make his decision look bad. 

• Plus1 3