Nebraska is a fully-committed member of the Big Ten

knapplc

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

I'm not convinced this is the end of this by any means. You don't put the work in that NU has put in behind the scenes and just lay down because a commish who was unwilling to put much if any apparent work in says so. 

After seeing OSU's statement about starting the Spring season in January, I wonder if NU is behind the scenes trying to see if they can push it back to something like December and get in a couple of non-conf games and then start Big Ten play in Jan.  I assume it would probably be too cold in some regions - Mich, Wisc, Minn, but maybe something could be worked out, particularly if OSU wants to do it.  If they can hold the Superbowl in Feb in NY, why not?

I saw a suggestion about using Detroit, Indy, and one other place that I forget within the Big Ten footprint as dome "bubble sites" - play a couple games a day at each one between league members as a neutral site (with probably no fans) during the Jan/Feb time frame, then go to campus sites to finish up in March.

Agree with you, many things are possibly still in progress.

18 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

I always wonder how things would breakout between those that went to and graduated from UNL vs those that are fans because they grew up in Nebraska.  My assumption (I wish we could get a poll) is that those that actually got degrees from UNL would be in favor of the Big Ten by a very wide margin, while those that never attended were more in favor of going back to the Big XII.  I don't have any data to back that up, just a hunch.

I'm both.  I have lived almost my entire life in Nebraska, and I got a degree from UNL.  I'm from southwest NE, so I would be more in favor of going back to the Big XII mostly because I was a lot closer to the away games than I am now.  However, we really shouldn't even consider the Big XII because it just isn't a stable conference. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

This angle is severely overblown IMO. How many teams still have scholarships remaining for this season? How many schools are already past enrollment deadlines? You're gonna leave Nebraska to go play somewhere in CUSA when there's no guarantee they play either? Not to mention most if not all kids would need a waiver to be eligible to play this year. 

If a kid was already planning or thinking about leaving, this may be a good excuse to go. But I doubt there is some mass exodus coming as a result of this. 

I would be more concerned about recruits than I would be current players.  I'm sure there are plenty of SEC schools that would make room for 5 star recruits currently committed to the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, etc.  Will the rich (SEC) just get richer from this? 

6 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

This angle is severely overblown IMO. How many teams still have scholarships remaining for this season? How many schools are already past enrollment deadlines? You're gonna leave Nebraska to go play somewhere in CUSA when there's no guarantee they play either? Not to mention most if not all kids would need a waiver to be eligible to play this year. 

If a kid was already planning or thinking about leaving, this may be a good excuse to go. But I doubt there is some mass exodus coming as a result of this. 

I wonder if that is one reason why the Big Ten said "we will play in spring, if we can."

I could see the NCAA allowing for immediate eligibility if your team/conference officially cancelled the season and said "no football until fall 2021".  By saying we will play in the spring, the NCAA will probably say you have to sit if you transfer, since your school still plans to have a season during the academic year.

And to your other point - almost every school is probably at or near 85 scholarships.  Assuming you can play immediately, are you going to go without a scholarship?  Unlikely.  This is not like the typical transfer cycle in the spring/summer due to graduating classes/players quitting football, etc.

Just now, junior4949 said:

I would be more concerned about recruits than I would be current players.  I'm sure there are plenty of SEC schools that would make room for 5 star recruits currently committed to the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, etc.  Will the rich (SEC) just get richer from this? 

This is a good point.  SEC will drop all the3 and 4 stars like hot potatoes to get a full class of 5 stars.  Those kids will go elsewhere then, but it would leave the Big Ten with a talent deficit for a few years.

16 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I'm not convinced this is the end of this by any means. You don't put the work in that NU has put in behind the scenes and just lay down because a commish who was unwilling to put much if any apparent work in says so. 

I don't disagree with you, and NU is committed to finding any way to play games this Fall. But this statement says that they will only play those games with the express consent of the league. So if we played NDSU, for example, the B1G would have to sign off on it.

We're putting in all the work, and that's what we should do, but sometimes the answer is still "no."

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm both.  I have lived almost my entire life in Nebraska, and I got a degree from UNL.  I'm from southwest NE, so I would be more in favor of going back to the Big XII mostly because I was a lot closer to the away games than I am now.  However, we really shouldn't even consider the Big XII because it just isn't a stable conference. 

Agree - Big XII is still probably not stable. 

Basically a big factor in our leaving in the first place.

Plus the conference is not the one we left - 3 other teams are gone.  One of the replacements is West Virginia, not any better than trips to the PSU/Maryland/Rutgers campuses.

33 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I don't think there would be any kind of mass exodus because other places just don't have that many spots.  But there are a handful of players on this this team schools would make room for that would really hurt to lose. I bet Omar Manning and Wandale Robinson could find spots elsewhere if they wanted too (not saying they'd leave). And I think there are a handful of young guys that are a long way from home that solely for the opportunity to play football here and now that's gone for at least the foreseeable future. Nadab Joseph, Keyshawn Greene are guys that could probably find homes that haven't really invested much into the program yet.  But I agree for the most part I think our roster would mostly hold together. 

55 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

This is a good point.  SEC will drop all the3 and 4 stars like hot potatoes to get a full class of 5 stars.  Those kids will go elsewhere then, but it would leave the Big Ten with a talent deficit for a few years.

Why would recruits who would be freshmen for the fall 2021 season care about this fall being cancelled/postponed?

4 minutes ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Why would recruits who would be freshmen for the fall 2021 season care about this fall being cancelled/postponed?

A couple reasons for some,  but of course not all.

1. If they were coming from the areas that are playing, to go north,  they might reconsider.

2. They might want to be at a school that pushes to play versus cancel,  in case something crazy happens again. 

3. The perception of balance of power further shifting south,  jump on the train.

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

Teams with 4 and 5 stars have the most to lose. But what would teams do- kick guys off scholarship to make room?  Can you do that in August? Maybe, but yikes.    

next year‘s recruiting could be brutal or awesome. If playing schools have Covid issues, the BIG will look like geniuses. If covid’s not an issue,  then we look like wusses. And what about the guys that are opting out? Maybe they’d like to play in the spring if everything goes well.