Nebraska is a fully-committed member of the Big Ten

knapplc

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Teams with 4 and 5 stars have the most to lose. But what would teams do- kick guys off scholarship to make room?  Can you do that in August? Maybe, but yikes.    

I'm sure it will be exactly like they already did for baseball - the seniors coming back for an extra year don't count against the scholarship limit.

Rivals Fact or Fiction

3. Nebraska is getting unfair criticism for wanting to explore other options.

Farrell’s take: FACT. Mike Wilbon tore into Nebraska on ESPN for saying they would explode other options outside the Big Ten after the season was postponed. He said they were “tucking their tail”, which is ridiculous.

Nebraska is set to lose a ton of money because of this decision and this is a state that largely revolves around Huskers football. Nebraska has every right to look around even if there isn’t much out there.

To say the Huskers should be kicked out of the league for that position is stupid. Ohio State had a similar stance on Wednesday and you can bet the Buckeyes won’t be criticized for it. It’s an emotional and frustrating time for everyone and those emotions will come out. Let’s not overreact.

Gorney’s take: FACT. Wilbon said Nebraska was “whining.” Desmon Howard said the school should issue a public apology to the Big Ten and that conference commissioner Kevin Warren should “work on a way to get their a$$ out of the Big Ten.”

That’s some treatment for the Huskers trying to chart a path forward and not just sitting idly by while the Big Ten doesn’t seem to have any plan other than hoping a season during the spring would work even if it’s rife with all kinds of questions as well. It’s funny - Wilbon and Howard talked about leadership. Well, part of being a leader is charting a new path. Nebraska has been the most vocal about trying to figure out a way to play this fall but I assure you it’s not the only school that has considered other options as well.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, BowedButNotBeaten said:

Why would recruits who would be freshmen for the fall 2021 season care about this fall being cancelled/postponed?

I think others have used the reasoning that players would view the SEC/ACC much more dedicated to football, while the Big Ten was more willing to suspend their careers.  Meaning that the Big Ten would be more likely to do the same thing again in the future.  So, those that were in favor of that were of the impression that it could be used as negative recruiting against the Big Ten schools by telling the kids "don't go there, they aren't concerned with your career". 

I'm not sure I completely buy into it, but it would probably work on 5 stars which tend to be more treated like the most important people on campus.  I doubt it would have hardly any effect on 3 and 4 star recruits who don't get the same 10 top programs recruiting them that the 5 star guys tend to have.  It always seems many of the undecided 5 stars always have 4 or 5 of the ~10 most successful programs on their consideration list.

• Thanks 1

I think we were grandstanding a bit.  We can look like rebels to our fans, players, and recruits.  Not Frost, I think he's a bit oppositional at heart.  Not that its bad and certainly not to level of Bo. 

I also wonder if Warren pigeon holed us a bit.  First we willingly accepted a conference only schedule. Then that schedule was cancelled.  So now you can't play anyone.  If the BIG had not went to conference only, maybe we could have argued for playing a few non-conference games because we do it every year anyway.  ,not sure why the Big would do this though.  Would kind of explain OSU, PSU, and UM initial reactions. Maybe they just figured out they were pigeon holed too

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

I think others have used the reasoning that players would view the SEC/ACC much more dedicated to football, while the Big Ten was more willing to suspend their careers.  Meaning that the Big Ten would be more likely to do the same thing again in the future.  So, those that were in favor of that were of the impression that it could be used as negative recruiting against the Big Ten schools by telling the kids "don't go there, they aren't concerned with your career". 

Yes, well put.

But there are some legitimately worried parents out there so I guess the reverse could be used for them.  

Interesting thread here.

Here's the thread unwrapped:

Can - and would - the B1G kick out Nebraska for scheduling football games after the conference canceled its season? THREAD.

Yesterday, @bigten Commissioner Kevin Warren suggested if Nebraska plays football this season, it could "not and be a member of the Big Ten Conference."

Some have interpreted this to suggest the @Huskers would be forced out of the B1G if they opted to play football.

But the Big Ten Conference Handbook, Rule 4.1.3, vests "matters concerning admission to or expulsion from the Conference" to "the Council."

The Council, in turn, is defined in Handbook Rule 4.1.1 as the designated "chancellor or president of each member university." Since the B1G has fourteen members university, the Council is comprised of fourteen members.Image

Because kicking out a B1G member school is such a big deal, it requires "a vote of not less than seventy percent (70%) of the Council." In other words, at least 10 of the B1G's 14 Council representatives would have to support the measure. (10/14 = 71.4%)Image
Coaches and administrators from Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa have publicly said their respective schools want to play. If they hold the line, they - with Nebraska - could pool their five votes to ensure no school faced any formal B1G repercussion.

A separate issue is money, which is governed by contracts to which I'm not privy. It's my understanding B1G member schools pool all media proceeds and share them equally. In my view, nothing about the B1G's decision to cancel football would negate NU's obligation to share TV $.

So NU's would-be media paychecks for 2020 games would be split 14 ways. (But we'd also share TV money generated from OSU and any other B1G school that plays.)

But the alternative is zero media money.

NU would keep 100% of non-media proceeds generated (merchandise, etc.).

I was and remain a huge supporter of Nebraska's move to the B1G. It's the nation's best all-around conference, it raises NU's academic profile (and the professors, research grants, and students it can land), it's stable, and it's a huge revenue-producer - dwarfing the Big Twelve.
That said, I'm very skeptical of any suggestion that the B1G would try to expel Nebraska for playing football in 2020 - especially after the B1G has declined to take such strict actions against member schools in the wake of serious national scandals (Sandusky, Nassar, etc.).
Hat tip to Indiana University @IUHoosiers for publishing the Big Ten Conference Handbook online. (Link below.) END THREAD.

iuhoosiers.com/documents/2018…
Whoops, two other key considerations:
(1) If a charter-member school like Ohio State plays football, this analysis is unnecessary: the B1G isn't going to do anything to anyone.

(2) As a full-fledged partner, NU would need to be "bought out" of the B1G - just as it paid to join.
Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh.
  • Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

What purpose does a spring season serve?  Assuming the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 have their seasons; the NC will get crowned from one of these conferences.  The best one can hope for with a spring season is winning the conference.  However, does it really?  I'd assume there will be several players from the elite teams that will opt out especially if the NFL season goes as planned in order to get prepared for the NFL draft.  Then, how long will the spring season last?  Will players have the proper amount of time to recover from injuries and such before the 21' fall season?   

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I glanced at one article and that's it, but it was Tom Shatel talking about us leaving the B1G and it was stupid from what I read. Not saying he started it but he's one of the biggest names in journalism and therefore made it sound legit.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/shatel-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-nebraska-in-the-big-ten/article_ef5bd995-3b11-5967-8e32-6d6cff4a1cab.html