Bulletin Board Material

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Somebody's still butt hurt over the past. Kick em while they're down. 

We do have an inflated sense of self importance still from once being at the very top, that's true. It's also true that we still live in people like Desmond and Wilbon's heads. They wouldn't care enough to freak out if that wasn't true. 

What have Illinois and Purdue ever contributed? I guess they know their place, which is being a  BIG doormat In athletics. Desmond expects us to do the same. Just shut up and take our whoppin. Don’t ever try to better ourselves. 

Ten kinds of gaslighting, narcissistic prickdom right there. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Warren just conduct the meeting?  He didn't vote did he?  I think he's taking way more heat than he deserves. 

As the commissioner, he should have presented more information and a plan before informing the media and taking interviews. He provided no new data and hid behind the "there were too many uncertainties" line too often. They had five months to plan for contingencies, could have set postponements and should have never released a schedule if this was their expectation all along. Based on everything I've read, the push to cancel the season was coming from the league office, not the universities themselves. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Remember when Northwestern were jerks before the Alamo Bowl and we ran the score up on them?

That was fun; let's do that again.

And don't think Wilbon hasn't forgotten that.  He views Nebraska as evil since they hammered Northwestern into oblivion in that game.  Never mind that Northwestern did as you said - acted like a bunch of jerks.  Wilbon has no problem with that level of cognitive dissonance.

There are still Minnesota fans with a seething hatred for Nebraska because of 84-13. 

What is the common thread?  Both Northwestern and Minnesota sucked and had to play pretty good Nebraska teams.

It would be like Nebraska fans holding a grudge against Texas Tech for 70-10.  I don't think there is any big contingent of Nebraska fans with seething hatred for Texas Tech.  Most realize (certainly now) that the fault lay with Nebraska, not Tech as to why the score got so out of hand.

All we've seen in this exercise is stuff we already knew - sports "commentators" are mostly jerks looking to drive clicks and cause controversy to generate discussion so that they can be at the center to show their "importance".  Wilbon and Howard both have that kind of job.  In addition both are old school Big Ten guys - they probably hate the fact Penn State joined the league, let alone Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers.  

Sports commentary is the height of "non-essential" service.  Everyone can watch and still enjoy games without any commentary either leading up to the game or during the game.  In a pandemic some of these guys are probably starting to panic wondering if they will still have jobs if we go a whole year without college football.

To me I view it as amusing to read, but they aren't going to change who I support. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

As the commissioner, he should have presented more information and a plan before informing the media and taking interviews. He provided no new data and hid behind the "there were too many uncertainties" line too often. They had five months to plan for contingencies, could have set postponements and should have never released a schedule if this was their expectation all along. Based on everything I've read, the push to cancel the season was coming from the league office, not the universities themselves. 

There is no reason the B1G couldn't have come out in July for example and said here is our step by step criteria for needing to play and the conditions we have to meet in order for it to happen. Create "phases" and "local conditions" that must be met and depending on what happens the season is delayed, pushed to spring, cancelled, etc. They had 5 months to put together LITERALLY anything and they have yet to put even a possible spring schedule out. You mean to tell me the B1G office with hundreds of employees didn't at least assign an unpaid intern to start generating spring football ideas they could present in the event they had to cancel fall? It's a complete lack of leadership and Kevin Warren is a joke.

• Thanks 4
11 hours ago, I am I said:

We either win, when we are allowed to play and shut people up... 

or, we’ll be in the SEC in 2 yrs. that’s my prediction. 

This is a great idea.  A couple of the big SEC schools won't need to schedule a cream puff November game out of conference.  They can just schedule NU.  Moving to the SEC won't help anything other than ensure 4 win seasons for a few more years.

When we start to win consistently, we can start to dictate terms to the other teams.  Until then, not so much, at least on football matters.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I didn't really see any "dictating terms" happening by our program over the last week.

The media and a lot of the Big Ten schools like to push that the conference is bigger than the individual schools.  Nebraska has always been individualistic and looking out for NU's best interests.  So, when that flies in the face of the opinion of "the conference", the media is going to go crazy with it.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The media and a lot of the Big Ten schools like to push that the conference is bigger than the individual schools.  Nebraska has always been individualistic and looking out for NU's best interests.  So, when that flies in the face of the opinion of "the conference", the media is going to go crazy with it.

Agreed there.

My argument through the past few days has been that Moos & Frost were just trying to get our guys out on the field to compete and have something to show for their hard work. In that context, that's a pretty subdued and noble effort, at least in my opinion.

Obviously it would have embarrassed the hell out of Warren if we would have found a way to safely play a bunch of games. He immediately recognized this and it made him look kind of bad - even though that was an indirect side effect. So then he strong-arms us.

I'm just mad as hell here still. Oh well.

• Plus1 4

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed there.

My argument through the past few days has been that Moos & Frost were just trying to get our guys out on the field to compete and have something to show for their hard work. In that context, that's a pretty subdued and noble effort, at least in my opinion.

Obviously it would have embarrassed the hell out of Warren if we would have found a way to safely play a bunch of games. He immediately recognized this and it made him look kind of bad - even though that was an indirect side effect. So then he strong-arms us.

Frost and Moos are also mad as heck because they (and the entire athletic and health division of the University) put in ton of effort and time to do all this safely.  As Moos mentioned this week, they could probably write an instructional book on how to handle a pandemic.  It just sucks that all of the efforts the University and Athletic Department went for nothing, due to the opinions of other Universities, whose strategy may have been "hoping the virus goes away".

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I thought when they came up with the new B1G only schedule, we were maybe going to try it. In the back of my mind, and I'm sure a lot of others, I was still not sure. How would you keep those players away from everyone else, you can't. 

I don't think the rest of the B1G is holding anything against us, why would they. We probably said what they are all thinking. 

We don't hold much sway these days. we haven't proved much on the field for awhile now.

Looking back at what we were, doesn't mean much except to Cornhusker fans. Almost 20 years of being just a middle of the pack football program, is where we are now. I was one of the lucky ones I got to watch 40yrs of greatness. We don't have to be that again to gain back the respect, just be able to hold our own, with who ever is on the other sideline. 

Frost looks the part and sounds the part, but this shut down really hurts, what he trying to bring back to DONU. I hope he gets the time he needs. Moving to the B1G was a smart move, and it will pay off when we start beating the OSU's and Mich's type teams again, the recruits will come. jmho

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

We don't hold much sway these days. we haven't proved much on the field for awhile now.

I don't quite understand what that has to do with it, though. I'm going to assume that Moos was just trying to do everything he could to play some games - even if it was just the usual three non-conference games we always play.

I don't view it as being a thing where we were trying to convince Kevin Warren to change his mind; we were just going to play some games.

21 hours ago, Undone said:

I don't quite understand what that has to do with it, though. I'm going to assume that Moos was just trying to do everything he could to play some games - even if it was just the usual three non-conference games we always play.

I don't view it as being a thing where we were trying to convince Kevin Warren to change his mind; we were just going to play some games.

I think if OSU and Mich coaches had come out like Frost, we may have had a longer discussion, on this season.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed there.

Can't disagree.  Good points.  Frost was simply fighting for the kids and staff to play.  To do what they have have been getting paid to do (the staff) and to let the kids reap the benefits of their hard work....

• Plus1 1