Go Fund Me Husker Athletics

skers

I know there are some very intelligent people out there on this board and maybe even a few lawyers :D.  Is there a way we can start a gofundme page or something similar to help out the athletic department / city of Lincoln? The season being canceled obviously sucks, but I hate that there are people that are going to suffer due to the cancelation/postponement of the season. We claim to be the greatest fans in college football, so lets show the world we are. How great would this be for us as Husker fans to take care of ourselves while we also silently use this as a F@#$ you against those clowns Wilbon and Howard?

Not looking for people to break their budgets. Just looking for those folks who were planning on going to a game this year throwing what they would have spent into the fund. I haven't set up the account yet, just gauging interest and to see if there was anything illegal about this. 

Go Big Red

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, skers said:

I know there are some very intelligent people out there on this board and maybe even a few lawyers :D.  Is there a way we can start a gofundme page or something similar to help out the athletic department / city of Lincoln? The season being canceled obviously sucks, but I hate that there are people that are going to suffer due to the cancelation/postponement of the season. We claim to be the greatest fans in college football, so lets show the world we are. How great would this be for us as Husker fans to take care of ourselves while we also silently use this as a F@#$ you against those clowns Wilbon and Howard?

Not looking for people to break their budgets. Just looking for those folks who were planning on going to a game this year throwing what they would have spent into the fund. I haven't set up the account yet, just gauging interest and to see if there was anything illegal about this. 

Go Big Red

Goodfellas Laugh GIF | Gfycat

Lol GIF - Laugh RonBurgundy WeAreLaughing - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

Anything to support the local businesses and merchants would do well. I'm less inclined to support the university's AD directly as they already get quite a lot from us every year and they're still going to come out OK even without a season. About the only thing they won't be getting from me this year is whatever outrageous profits they make on their $4 bottles of water.

• Haha 2

The problem with someone setting up a go fund me account is there is no real oversight on how that money was dispersed. Crowd funding is ok if it is done right, the original post in this thread would be an example on how not to do it.

Now, if you want to setup a webpage with links to local businesses, city, and UNL crowd funding/giving pages. That would be one way of making sure the people that you are supporting are actually getting the money. If the gift was to a non-profit, you would also get acknowledged for the gift (privately and/or publicly). The less layers and "administrative" costs, the better. 

I thought about this for the businesses although It would be hard to determine who gets what. It would absolutely solidify that we are the greatest fans in the history of sports. 

And with no fans in the stands they would need help even if there was a season    

• Plus1 1

Also, one of the problems with this type of thing is that we needed fall football for the city and state economy as a whole, not just for the athletic department. That means everybody will be short on funds this year, many significantly so, so not a lot of excess cash laying around to donate. It hurts everybody, and could argue is ultimately going to hurt the athletic department far less than it is going to hurt Barry's and Leadbelly, etc.  I hope spring can be a bandaid, but not only is that pretty damn unlikely, it also may come to late for businesses that have been struggling for 6 months already. 

50 million dollar check from the B1G and almost no expenses this year.  An endowment that is somewhere in the half billion dollar range.  I am sure the Athletic Department and University will be just fine.  Like someone said before me, the local businesses that are taking a massive hit by this cancellation will not be fine.  They are not sitting on a mountain of money like UNL Athletics is.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Also, one of the problems with this type of thing is that we needed fall football for the city and state economy as a whole, not just for the athletic department. That means everybody will be short on funds this year, many significantly so, so not a lot of excess cash laying around to donate. It hurts everybody, and could argue is ultimately going to hurt the athletic department far less than it is going to hurt Barry's and Leadbelly, etc.  I hope spring can be a bandaid, but not only is that pretty damn unlikely, it also may come to late for businesses that have been struggling for 6 months already. 

I don’t know about too late. The first game in Lincoln wouldn’t have been until mid September anyway.  

maybe different gofund me’s could be set up to different businesses and then people can donate to where they would have went. 

should look at different options besides gofundme because they charge a fee.