What will you be doing on Saturdays this Fall??

What happens when many people figure out there’s other, more productive or self fulfilling ways to spend Saturdays in the Fall?  And then one day, football is back.  But will all these people be back to watch?   Some will, but some may find there’s more to life than 4 hours of cycling between anxiety and joy while often screaming at a bunch of college students who aren’t always meeting your expectations.  

Just a hunch, but this may become a real problem for some schools to continue to get butts in stadium seats.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What happens when many people figure out there’s other, more productive or self fulfilling ways to spend Saturdays in the Fall?  And then one day, football is back.  But will all these people be back to watch?   Some will, but some may find there’s more to life than 4 hours of cycling between anxiety and joy while often screaming at a bunch of college students who aren’t always meeting your expectations.  

Just a hunch, but this may become a real problem for some schools to continue to get butts in stadium seats.  

Hit the nail right on the head here.  Could be many years before they even sniff the attendance numbers they have been getting steady the last 20 years.  The 1994 strike in MLB practically destroyed their fanbase.  It took a once-in-a-life-time-steroid-induced home run race between Sammy and Mark to revive pro baseball.  If they did not have that, who knows how long it would of taken for them to recover.  Having no fans in the stadiums and no games for most is unprecedented territory for sports of all levels.  The effects of which could last for a very long time.  Take anything away from any American, and they will find something else to replace it with.  Getting that same American to go back to what they had before...might as well be forcing a horse to drink. 

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Hit the nail right on the head here.  Could be many years before they even sniff the attendance numbers they have been getting steady the last 20 years.  The 1994 strike in MLB practically destroyed their fanbase.  It took a once-in-a-life-time-steroid-induced home run race between Sammy and Mark to revive pro baseball.  If they did not have that, who knows how long it would of taken for them to recover.  Having no fans in the stadiums and no games for most is unprecedented territory for sports of all levels.  The effects of which could last for a very long time.  Take anything away from any American, and they will find something else to replace it with.  Getting that same American to go back to what they had before...might as well be forcing a horse to drink. 

Great points!
Absolutely and bill moos understands this. Many of us have been going to games for 40 plus years, it is a given. We don’t plan for it, it’s just automatic, part of the routine, we go. Don’t give it a second thought. 

With all the games being televised now, and the cramped quarters of our seats, wwl era bathrooms, no booze, long walks for parking, bad weather and terrible concessions- and living the experience of not attending.  I can see fewer fans in the seats when we come back. 

I will be back for 2021,  but the watch parties become more appealing every year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

40 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Many of us have felt this way ever since the Callahan era anyway, especially the last five years. It had already been increasingly easy to detach from the games. Yeah, I'll miss Husker football this fall, but it's not a new feeling. We've been missing good Husker football for years.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Many of us have felt this way ever since the Callahan era anyway, especially the last five years. It had already been increasingly easy to detach from the games. Yeah, I'll miss Husker football this fall, but it's not a new feeling. We've been missing good Husker football for years.

Exactly.   I’ll miss it somewhat, but I am looking forward to having a more relaxing anxiety free fall.   I’m planning on being back next year as a season ticket holder, but I expect an improved fan experience.  Not talking wins and losses, but these would be nice:  Better foot and traffic control, better parking, option to have a beer, less cramped seating,  fewer adds and more information from other games on the video boards, better stadium WiFi....

• Plus1 1

Admittedly its more fun when Big Red plays great, hard nosed, smashmouth football.  But I still love the Huskers and always will.  I can’t imagine ever feeling otherwise.  A major, ugly scandal would put a very bitter taste in my mouth but I would hold such against the guilty few - not the program.  

After taking great pride in being a very reputable, decent, and competitive program for my entire life (recent struggles been less easy to enjoy but still my team, my school, my focus).  

This fall will be an eternal extension of the dreadul periods between seasons I guess.  

Now, with no sports in Lincoln, I guess I will find something else to use for an escape from stress and strain and all too depressing world we find ourselves living in. 

I will grasp at remaining straws until the fat lady keels over dead since singing looks out of range. lol. 

On 8/14/2020 at 2:17 PM, Roundball Shaman said:

What will we be doing on Saturdays?

Looking at all the empty seats at Memorial Stadium and wondering where did everybody go? Are they doing OK? Are they healthy? Are their families and friends OK?

Looking at all the businesses around Nebraska with empty chairs and closed doors. All of the vitality and life that goes on in those places that now sit mostly silent. Wondering how all the business owners are going to make it. Wondering how many are losing hope. Wondering how many are finding faith and reaching down deep to find it.

Thinking about all the lives of students that have been changed. The classes they won’t attend in person. The professors they won’t remember. The memories of being together without worries about masks or social distancing or The New Normal or herd immunity or vaccines or graphs and projections that are mostly stabs in the dark.

The loss of being at Husker football games and gatherings that leave blank memories with empty screens instead of vivid pictures of color and sound and fun and happiness and sadness and excitement. The cheers that have gone silent. The victories that will never be won. All the hopes and dreams that are now all on hold.

So many things to do on Saturday. Everything...  but the one thing we all so much want to do that most defines what Husker Nation is all about.

Sure...that is an option

• Haha 1

As much as I like college football, I probably won't watch many games each Saturday.  My Saturdays in the past have been geared around the NU game each day, and now that it's gone, my days will be much different.  When I would watch other games, it was more of doing something before/after the Husker game each week.

At least I will have 2 of my son's baseball games to watch each Saturday and Sunday to keep me busy.

• Plus1 1

Did this, this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T1n0ABiLws

Doing 403 tomorrow morning.  Then on to Telluride, Colorado.  Another three weeks of riding America's great mountain biking trails.  After that, it will be snowing at altitude and to cold for camping.  Not going to miss a whittled down season I don't think..

No not me, just a video of the trail.  Trying to get the GoPro working for tomorrow though