What will you be doing on Saturdays this Fall??

On 8/21/2020 at 8:44 AM, Bledred said:

Hit the nail right on the head here.  Could be many years before they even sniff the attendance numbers they have been getting steady the last 20 years.  The 1994 strike in MLB practically destroyed their fanbase.  It took a once-in-a-life-time-steroid-induced home run race between Sammy and Mark to revive pro baseball.  If they did not have that, who knows how long it would of taken for them to recover.  Having no fans in the stadiums and no games for most is unprecedented territory for sports of all levels.  The effects of which could last for a very long time.  Take anything away from any American, and they will find something else to replace it with.  Getting that same American to go back to what they had before...might as well be forcing a horse to drink. 

talking about the NFL too. forget them and the owners can go broke right along with the players and their political bulls#!t!

• Fire 5

4 hours ago, hunter49 said:

talking about the NFL too. forget them and the owners can go broke right along with the players and their political bulls#!t!

What political bulls#!t are you talking about?  Are you upset that players are using their elevated status and be more than just football players to push for social changes?

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What political bulls#!t are you talking about?  Are you upset that players are using their elevated status and be more than just football players to push for social changes?

I think a large part of the country is annoyed with protests without providing tangible solutions that are readily available. Kapernick started kneeling when he became the backup. He didn’t do this when he was the upstart talk of the league but rather as a way to draw attention away from the fact that he was 3-16 as a starter his last two years. Supporting political causes is fine but those athletes and organizations do open themselves up to criticism or losing their fans/sponsors in doing so. 

The NBA stunt this past week showed that many of these athletes are proving that their actions are shallow gestures once they understand the financial risks they are running by “using their platform.” I don’t have an issue if people want to talk or bring attention to a cause close to them but that doesn’t mean others must agree.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think a large part of the country is annoyed with protests without providing tangible solutions that are readily available. Kapernick started kneeling when he became the backup. He didn’t do this when he was the upstart talk of the league but rather as a way to draw attention away from the fact that he was 3-16 as a starter his last two years. Supporting political causes is fine but those athletes and organizations do open themselves up to criticism or losing their fans/sponsors in doing so. 

The NBA stunt this past week showed that many of these athletes are proving that their actions are shallow gestures once they understand the financial risks they are running by “using their platform.” I don’t have an issue if people want to talk or bring attention to a cause close to them but that doesn’t mean others must agree.

I wouldn’t call what the NBA players did this week a “stunt”. They are continuing to bring more awareness to social issues they believe in.  I realize that people may not agree with them, but I applaud the players for continuing to speak their mind and try to bring about change. If that makes you or others uncomfortable as a fan, that’s good. Change isn’t done in comfort. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I wouldn’t call what the NBA players did this week a “stunt”. They are continuing to bring more awareness to social issues they believe in.  I realize that people may not agree with them, but I applaud the players for continuing to speak their mind and try to bring about change. If that makes you or others uncomfortable as a fan, that’s good. Change isn’t done in comfort. 

They attempted a two day boycott without accomplishing anything of substance and sacrificed nothing to help the cause they threw their verbal support behind. That’s why I called it a stunt. 

Again, players can speak their minds until they are blue in the face. That doesn’t mean others must agree with them.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

They attempted a two day boycott without accomplishing anything of substance and sacrificed nothing to help the cause they threw their verbal support behind. That’s why I called it a stunt. 

Again, players can speak their minds until they are blue in the face. That doesn’t mean others must agree with them.

And just because you don’t agree with them doesn’t mean it’s a stunt. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And just because you don’t agree with them doesn’t mean it’s a stunt. 

Alright, I see you're hung up on the word "stunt." Replace it with "empty gesture" and it should suffice for +90% of the athletes. Do you think it is a coincidence that they agreed to come back once reports came out that their salaries for the rest of the season would not be paid if they sat out? 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 7:25 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

There's always a price to be paid for using their elevated status.  Professional players are much the same as actors, singers, etc.  They are paid entertainers.  It's not a very good practice to alienate fans by using their elevated status to delve into politics.  Natalie Maines made this mistake and it pretty much cost her singing group The Dixie Chicks their careers. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

There's always a price to be paid for using their elevated status.  Professional players are much the same as actors, singers, etc.  They are paid entertainers.  It's not a very good practice to alienate fans by using their elevated status to delve into politics.  Natalie Maines made this mistake and it pretty much cost her singing group The Dixie Chicks their careers. 

Pretty sure the singing was gonna cost them their careers anyway.

To contribute to the thread, I will NOT be listening to the Dixie Chicks on Saturdays this fall.