Nebraska parents letter

Short and sweet, to the point. 

https://journalstar.com/husker-parents-letter/pdf_094b9947-3d4d-54af-8571-108057c66341.html

Huge fail for warren not to get input from the parents and players before making the decision.

The parents want details and transparency and call warren  out for letting his son play.

fully expect warren to pretend to listen and get input now for purely public relations standpoint. If he has time to squeeze it in between his rock the vote and anti racism efforts 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I like it.  Thanks for posting it.  There has been so much information/misinformation and out right lies how can you really listen to or get sound advise....Base the decision on the protocols to "check" the risks.....Not on opinion.  

Throw in your son is a walk on SR.....One more year of tuition.......

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I like it.  Thanks for posting it.  There has been so much information/misinformation and out right lies how can you really listen to or get sound advise....Base the decision on the protocols to "check" the risks.....Not on opinion.  

Throw in your son is a walk on SR.....One more year of tuition.......

You listen to the people who are consistently telling you the same things and only change their opinion when science can prove that they should. These people are typically called experts and have many years of experience in their particular field often holding important positions in our society or government.

That said there's no getting this egg of the B1G's face. Either they lied when they released the schedule, or they never even bothered to put a real plan in place and s#!t their pants when it was crunch time.

• Plus1 3

Tim Brando is reporting the league vote was 8-6 not 12-2. He is a fairly credible guy, who knows who to believe these days??

im not saying that what tim Brando is saying is true, but who knows and is telling us the truth? 
Could have been, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio state,  Michigan, Michigan state, Purdue against the rest 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailycaller.com/2020/08/17/report-big-10-cancel-football-vote-8-6-coronavirus

• Plus1 1

The letter reinforces a lot of what we've been saying.

Transparency here is the key issue, IMO. I think most rational people in this discussion can appreciate/respect a safety decision based off of sound medical expertise, But, the nature and timing of the decision (as well as the underwhelming communication) raises a lot of questions without many concrete answers.

Show the rationale/evidence for the decision and provide an explanation for the sudden change of heart.

Right now, the B1G mainly looks like they panicked in the face of not having a good plan in place, and that's a crappy position for them to be in. But, if they did their due diligence, show us.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad the letter was drafted and sent. It raised some good points and made reasonable requests, so don't take this the wrong way but......does anyone else find it a little cringe worthy that parents are getting this involved? It used to be there was a pretty good separation of helicopter parenting between HS and college (TMart being an exception and not the rule). IDK, I guess I totally understand it in this situation but it still seems a bit weird.

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

does anyone else find it a little cringe worthy that parents are getting this involved? It used to be there was a pretty good separation of helicopter parenting between HS and college (TMart being an exception and not the rule). IDK, I guess I totally understand it in this situation but it still seems a bit weird.

I will admit that I did at first.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I rationalized that many of them are essentially just parents worried about their child at school. College is obviously a lot different than primary and high school. College is much more of a business. But, parents still absolutely have a right to be involved and included in decisions that impact their child. And heck, that's how the NCAA and colleges look at the players, right? They're "sTuDeNt" athletes.

I'm being a bit cynical with my last comments there but, when viewed through this lens, I think the parents' concern is far more applicable and fair.

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm glad the letter was drafted and sent. It raised some good points and made reasonable requests, so don't take this the wrong way but......does anyone else find it a little cringe worthy that parents are getting this involved? It used to be there was a pretty good separation of helicopter parenting between HS and college (TMart being an exception and not the rule). IDK, I guess I totally understand it in this situation but it still seems a bit weird.

I didn't get a helicopter parent vibe at all, its pretty much the opposite in my eyes. The vibe is "We trust our coaches and our kids, and they want to play, and feel safe playing". Usually the helicopter parent is the opposite, "We don't trust our coaches and kids to do the right thing, so we feel the need to get involved". 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I haven't read the letter, but extreme helicopter parenting does not surprise me one bit. At the college I work for, parental involvement is insane and commonplace. This includes complaints about grades, complaints about other kids being mean to their kids on social media, and complaints about their kids not being able to advocate for themselves (not even joking). 

23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

sports are more about the parents anyway.  I cannot believe the stories that coaches in college baseball tell about parents trying to be involved.  Fastest way to never see the field. At least in the early years. 

Side question, how involved do you think Larry Frost was with Scott back in the day?  Pretty darn involved I would say and from what I understand, Tom wasn't having it.  At least that's what us commoners were led to believe. 

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The letter itself isn't such a terrible thing.

That these letters are being made public is a little weird to me. Sure, you have concerns about the transparency of the process, and that's fine. But airing that publicly... is that the best thing to do for your conference?  

I would guess it is made public in order for the media and potential recruits to see that everyone is united in common purpose.

However, knowing you around here for as long as I have, you've definitely already thought about that angle.  I know you are a step or two ahead of most, at least.

So what are you hinting at as the bigger picture piece, schools building a case for a revote?

• Plus1 4
45 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I will admit that I did at first.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I rationalized that many of them are essentially just parents worried about their child at school. College is obviously a lot different than primary and high school. College is much more of a business. But, parents still absolutely have a right to be involved and included in decisions that impact their child. And heck, that's how the NCAA and colleges look at the players, right? They're "sTuDeNt" athletes.

I'm being a bit cynical with my last comments there but, when viewed through this lens, I think the parents' concern is far more applicable and fair.

I completely agree with this. But even so, there's that bit of cringe :lol: