Nebraska parents letter

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The letter itself isn't such a terrible thing.

That these letters are being made public is a little weird to me. Sure, you have concerns about the transparency of the process, and that's fine. But airing that publicly... is that the best thing to do for your conference?  

I’d agree whole heartedly with you.  It’s certainly not for the betterment of the Confrence. It seems to be a ploy for leverage of some sort.   Time will tell. (God I hope so anyways)

46 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I haven't read the letter, but extreme helicopter parenting does not surprise me one bit. At the college I work for, parental involvement is insane and commonplace. This includes complaints about grades, complaints about other kids being mean to their kids on social media, and complaints about their kids not being able to advocate for themselves (not even joking). 

That is just insane. Maybe I/we didn't helicopter enough. I get it in youth sports, elementary school and even middle school. We never did much in that way early on and forced ourselves out of the sports picture by late MS. Maybe we we're lucky because our kids were good enough to let their play speak for itself. I mean there were occasions where we would've liked to have expressed displeasure with playing time, coaching decisions etc. but we kept our mouth shut and let things play out. I figured it was a more valuable lessons for my kids to learn to advocate for themselves. I mean sure we stroked some coaches and did a ton of b!^@hing behind their backs but it always amazed me how many parents knew no limits. It's bad enough at the high school level, I can't imagine it continuing on into college sports. This specific issue is understandable but dang, let the kids grow up.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

With the sheer number of parents involved, i believe the public letters could have a very negative impact on recruiting going forward.  If the powers that be in the Big Ten aren't willing to at minimum address the parents concerns, it will be a very bad look for the conference.  

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

With the sheer number of parents involved, i believe the public letters could have a very negative impact on recruiting going forward.  If the powers that be in the Big Ten aren't willing to at minimum address the parents concerns, it will be a very bad look for the conference.  

Ya the B1G needs to take a look at how this negative press is going to impact the schools in the conference. You're losing respect among potential recruits and their families and that's not good. The PAC isn't having near the blow back because they came out with a transparent explanation why they made the decision. You can disagree, but at least they told you why. The B1G's black box decision and timing after releasing a schedule is the problem.

Also, on the discussion of parents getting involved. I saw someone say it comes off weird at first, but you have to think that the coaches spoke up, the AD spoke up, the players spoke up and now the parents are basically voicing their support. It's less helicopter parent and more standing up with the others and saying we are on the same page.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I completely agree with this. But even so, there's that bit of cringe :lol:

Lol that's fair. I think even parents' best intentions can sometimes come off as a bit cringe.

Kind of like when parents talk about how 'smart' their kid is. You would think that everybody's kid is a genius.

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

Waiting for Desmond Howard to demand that Michigan gets kicked out...

The best part is that Howard wants Nebraska kicked out for not being a "team player" in the conference.

From a guy that trolled Notre Dame by striking a Heisman pose during a game - making things all about him.  I guess his lack of being a team player is ok.

Edit: looks like it was against Ohio State (unless he did it multiple times that year)

image.jpeg.ec73b761a461970092ecf590679a49a3.jpeg

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

Tim Brando is reporting the league vote was 8-6 not 12-2. He is a fairly credible guy, who knows who to believe these days??

im not saying that what tim Brando is saying is true, but who knows and is telling us the truth? 
Could have been, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio state,  Michigan, Michigan state, Purdue against the rest 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailycaller.com/2020/08/17/report-big-10-cancel-football-vote-8-6-coronavirus

An 8-6 vote is WAY different than 12-2. A 7-7 vote would have made things REALLY interesting. Does Kevin Warren get the tiebreaker in that scenario? Or does OSU's vote just count double?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

Damon benning is reporting the vote was 9-5, so maybe it wasn’t a 12-2 vote. I don’t trust Kevin  “ “Rock the vote” warren at all. This has not been transparent at all. 

Warren had to have the most riding on the other 3 conferences getting sick and not playing. If the big 3  play, even his affirmative action armor shield may not save him. 

The nfl is monlolythic and has little competition. Warren had no clue the negative impact this would have on recruiting and the economies of collegiate towns. He didn’t think through how this affects us vs conferences that are choosing to play.  Of course he didn’t , he’s an Ivy League nfl guy.

3 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

Tim Brando is reporting the league vote was 8-6 not 12-2. He is a fairly credible guy, who knows who to believe these days??

im not saying that what tim Brando is saying is true, but who knows and is telling us the truth? 
Could have been, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio state,  Michigan, Michigan state, Purdue against the rest 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailycaller.com/2020/08/17/report-big-10-cancel-football-vote-8-6-coronavirus

10 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

An 8-6 vote is WAY different than 12-2. A 7-7 vote would have made things REALLY interesting. Does Kevin Warren get the tiebreaker in that scenario? Or does OSU's vote just count double?

But in all seriousness, I got to thinking about this more, and I'm guessing the official motion on the floor was to postpone the season. So in that case, a 7-7 vote wouldn't have been a majority, and therefore the season would have gone on as scheduled (well, at least until the first major outbreak tied to a game occurred). So we might have been just ONE vote away from playing ball this fall. ONE vote.

• Plus1 1