Nebraska parents letter

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And this is why lawyers are going to get involved. 

The B1G just trying to hide and hope it all goes away. Not working very well for them though. This article goes a bit further into the FOIA requests.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes/big-ten-football-tom-mars-foia-request-schools-cancellation-fall-season

• Plus1 1

Not surprisingly some parents of our players have joined in a lawsuit against the Big 10. They are demanding more information be brought forth regarding the “votes” as well as scientific data and medical information used by the council by Monday the 24th. If information is not brought forth they will be filing suit seeking the documents and and  “immediate relief”. Probably won’t amount to much other than possibly getting a little more clarity but they’re just pissing in the wind at this point if you ask me.

• Fire 1

Not a surprise but certainly a very snide response.  Apparently there were multiple letters from a numbers of players/parents and most likely others interested in a public disclosure of what surely is public business conducted by public officials (presidents / chancellors) of public universities.

I find it quite arrogant that the Big Ten Council would not even respond at all.  Not even a peep on even a press release let alone a presser where media could ask ?s.  

One would normally hesitate to jump to conclusions but this is such a major action (as big as it gets perhaps ever in Big Ten history).   Why not respond?  

Not sure Mr Flood is a litigator but this is mostly a procedural case of obtaining presumably public information.   I would expect the suit would include the Big Ten, each Council member and Special K as the chief admin officer. 

Whether venue and jurisdiction are appropriate in Lincoln vs Illinois could be a ?, but it is an interstate compact and has Fed and state issues associated affecting every state involved.  

The parents and athletes have interests being directly impacted. 

If you've made a smart decision and you have nothing to hide, be transparent and responsive to the people most affected by your decisions. It's the best way to move forward through this mess.

Silence and refusal to share information or be open about the process is just going to lead to speculation - and not the kind that keeps conference commissioners in their job very long.

The longer this goes on, the less people hear from Warren, the more I think he's going to be gone within a couple of years. This is a PR disaster.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If you've made a smart decision and you have nothing to hide, be transparent and responsive to the people most affected by your decisions. It's the best way to move forward through this mess.

Silence and refusal to share information or be open about the process is just going to lead to speculation - and not the kind that keeps conference commissioners in their job very long.

The longer this goes on, the less people hear from Warren, the more I think he's going to be gone within a couple of years. This is a PR disaster.

Yup, honestly the letter they released last week was a mistake. Had they put that out initially I think it was fine. However, they waited until a total fire storm was brewing and then put out no additional information and hoped it'd go away. At that point they needed to release real documentation and the longer they don't the worse this gets. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Yup, honestly the letter they released last week was a mistake. Had they put that out initially I think it was fine. However, they waited until a total fire storm was brewing and then put out no additional information and hoped it'd go away. At that point they needed to release real documentation and the longer they don't the worse this gets. 

i would guess this will have a negative effect on future recruiting, if the conferences that play make it through the season?

thoughts?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i would guess this will have a negative effect on future recruiting, if the conferences that play make it through the season?

thoughts?

I doubt it has much effect. The conferences who play may or may not make it through the season. If someone gets deathly ill, or invalided from Covid, that could be much, much worse PR for them. 

But the reality, I think, is that this won't affect recruiting positively or negatively either way. Next year, next two years, tops, we're pretty much back to normal with vaccines & whatever. Kids are going to go to whatever school fits them best, and none of them are going to care if a school did or didn't play the year or two before.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

thoughts?

I think it hurts recruiting now more than anything. You could negatively recruit with things like "wow, do you think they'll play next year?" Also, no games, visits, etc. The only way I see it hurting in the future is trying to sow little seeds of doubt about the conference really caring about football players, etc.