Nebraska parents letter

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm glad the letter was drafted and sent. It raised some good points and made reasonable requests, so don't take this the wrong way but......does anyone else find it a little cringe worthy that parents are getting this involved? It used to be there was a pretty good separation of helicopter parenting between HS and college (TMart being an exception and not the rule). IDK, I guess I totally understand it in this situation but it still seems a bit weird.

Yeah, a little.

The difference where I see it...these parents are not asking for playing time for their kids but they are just asking that the new greedy real estate developer doesn't turn their old sandlot into condos.  

I think a smell a movie!

• Plus1 2

“Our biggest concern as parents is the mental and physical well being of our sons... has taken an emotional toll... The complications of this decision will have ramifications for the futures of these athletes.”
Yes, this is true. But it's also true for every one of us and our futures as well. Everyone is experiencing mental and physical stresses and challenges. It is taking an emotional toll on us beyond what we can measure. All of our futures are in question and we have no idea what our lives will look like as time goes on.
As for the Big 14 decision-makers, there was plenty that they have done that is questionable. But the fact is that there is no easy answer to allow for play this fall or not that is without peril. You shut down the fall season, you get plenty of players and coaches and towns that rely on game revenue screaming. If you don’t shut down, you run the risk of putting thousands of people’s health at risk as well as opening up a great deal of legal liability. In other words, whatever you decide is a guess and potentially the wrong answer overall.
So-called medical experts and those who offer projections are just guessing as well. They also don’t have a clue about what they are dealing with and what the best approach is. Wearing a piece of cloth on our faces and staying six feet apart from each other. Six feet? Where did that come from? Why not five feet or ten? Where’s the peer-reviewed study of this? In other words, this is all guess work served up as “good science” and sound administration.
They key here is back to the main concerns about our physical, mental, and emotional health. We all need it. We will need it even more as these weeks and months drag on. Whether we play or not is one thing. But the much bigger game here is that we all survive this and then actually begin to THRIVE once again, not just live in fear and hope for the best.
Husker football has fought through previous pandemics:

1918   Won 2, Lost 3, Tied 1
1957   Won 1, Lost 9
1958   Won 3, Lost 7
1968   Won 6, Lost 4
1981   Won 9, Lost 3
2003   Won 10, Lost 3
2009   Won 10, Lost 4

The win-lose record of course is not as important as our getting through this major disruptor in our lives and that we do

whatever we can to help each other through these rough times. Doing our best and praying for a good outcome.

39 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

More like drunk Tim Brando.  Same guy who mourned Keith Jackson's death a year after it happened and predicted no SEC would make it in the CFB playoffs several years ago.  THAT Tim Brando.  There are more stories.

I’m still mourning Keith Jackson’s death when I listen to the incompetent bozos calling games now. 

poor keith was often time saddled with frank broyles, great resume- horrific color guy, more often wrong than right. Didn’t matter, Keith carried the show 

Damon Benning reported today the vote wAs 9-5 

3 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’m still mourning Keith Jackson’s death when I listen to the incompetent bozos calling games now. 

poor keith was often time saddled with frank broyles, great resume- horrific color guy, more often wrong than right. 

Mourned as in didn't realize it (Keith Jackson's death) had happened a year prior.  Also Broyles and Jackson were great together and who's fooling who it was Keith's show anyhow.  He was the 'bell cow' as he used to put it.

4 minutes ago, Roundball Shaman said:

“Our biggest concern as parents is the mental and physical well being of our sons... has taken an emotional toll... The complications of this decision will have ramifications for the futures of these athletes.”
Yes, this is true. But it's also true for every one of us and our futures as well. Everyone is experiencing mental and physical stresses and challenges. It is taking an emotional toll on us beyond what we can measure. All of our futures are in question and we have no idea what our lives will look like as time goes on.
As for the Big 14 decision-makers, there was plenty that they have done that is questionable. But the fact is that there is no easy answer to allow for play this fall or not that is without peril. You shut down the fall season, you get plenty of players and coaches and towns that rely on game revenue screaming. If you don’t shut down, you run the risk of putting thousands of people’s health at risk as well as opening up a great deal of legal liability. In other words, whatever you decide is a guess and potentially the wrong answer overall.
So-called medical experts and those who offer projections are just guessing as well. They also don’t have a clue about what they are dealing with and what the best approach is. Wearing a piece of cloth on our faces and staying six feet apart from each other. Six feet? Where did that come from? Why not five feet or ten? Where’s the peer-reviewed study of this? In other words, this is all guess work served up as “good science” and sound administration.
They key here is back to the main concerns about our physical, mental, and emotional health. We all need it. We will need it even more as these weeks and months drag on. Whether we play or not is one thing. But the much bigger game here is that we all survive this and then actually begin to THRIVE once again, not just live in fear and hope for the best.
Husker football has fought through previous pandemics:

1918   Won 2, Lost 3, Tied 1
1957   Won 1, Lost 9
1958   Won 3, Lost 7
1968   Won 6, Lost 4
1981   Won 9, Lost 3
2003   Won 10, Lost 3
2009   Won 10, Lost 4

The win-lose record of course is not as important as our getting through this major disruptor in our lives and that we do

whatever we can to help each other through these rough times. Doing our best and praying for a good outcome.

The difference today vs days past is they didn’t shut the economy down for something 99.96 percent of us will survive and our competitors weren’t playing while we didn’t 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Mourned as in didn't realize it (Keith Jackson's death) had happened a year prior.  Also Broyles and Jackson were great together and who's fooling who it was Keith's show anyhow.  He was the 'bell cow' as he used to put it.

Watch the replays

Broyles consistent gaffes and captain obvious utterances are almost impossible to tolerate. His total incompetence on knowing the rules of the game were just shocking. Couldn’t believe my ears, embarrassed for him. Basic stuff like shifts and illegal motion, punt coverage rules etc 

3 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Watch the replays

Broyles consistent gaffes and captain obvious utterances are almost impossible to tolerate. His total incompetence on knowing the rules of the game were just shocking. Couldn’t believe my ears, embarrassed for him. Basic stuff like shifts and illegal motion, punt coverage rules etc 

Gotcha.

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Lol that's fair. I think even parents' best intentions can sometimes come off as a bit cringe.

Kind of like when parents talk about how 'smart' their kid is. You would think that everybody's kid is a genius.

Well, since you brought it up, have I mentioned that my daughter will be graduating UNL this December after only 2.5 years with about a 3.9+/- GPA? :lol: 
Actually this is true. Been looking for my chance to humble brag.

And related to football, she texted me this morning to inform me that 2AM will be in one of her class groups. Figures, I finally get my shot at some inside info and no football :bang  I believe it was two semesters ago that Isaiah Roby was in one of her study groups but it was an online class and he was already at OKC and off campus. She wasn’t overly impressed with his contributions. I told her to offer to cover his end of the project for about $10k :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, since you brought it up, have I mentioned that my daughter will be graduating UNL this December after only 2.5 years with about a 3.9+/- GPA? :lol: 
Actually this is true. Been looking for my chance to humble brag.

And related to football, she texted me this morning to inform me that 2AM will be in one of her class groups. Figures, I finally get my shot at some inside info and no football :bang  I believe it was two semesters ago that Isaiah Roby was in one of her study groups but it was an online class and he was already at OKC and off campus. She wasn’t overly impressed with his contributions. I told her to offer to cover his end of the project for about $10k :lol:

He gets routinely tested for Covid so she should try to sit next to him. He’s likely the safest person in the room. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Saw something about parents going to peacefully protest outside the B1G headquarters.

Well hopefully they won’t burn, vandalize or loot and do the protest at the offices, not the home of Warren. That kind of stuff tends to turn some people off and is in bad taste imo 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1