Nebraska parents letter

One possibility as to why the Presidents aren't speaking up is that they don't all agree.  So, if one or two got to the media, all of them will be expected to and all of a sudden their argument over the issue becomes public.

This way, keeping Warren as the public face, they can still have their argument and....maybe something will get resolved eventually.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

One possibility as to why the Presidents aren't speaking up is that they don't all agree.  So, if one or two got to the media, all of them will be expected to and all of a sudden their argument over the issue becomes public.

This way, keeping Warren as the public face, they can still have their argument and....maybe something will get resolved eventually.

Under most any scenario, even if the Big Ten Council takes another vote and the outcome is changed, I would expect that the lawsuit will get the truth out and the public will know, as open meetings laws require, that the minutes and vote(s) of each and every member will be disclosed for all to see and criticize or applaud.   This is how public officials are supposed to act.

• Fire 1

Warren and the Big 10 called the parents bluff. The parents initial letter threatened legal action and this letter takes a much different tone after realizing legal action isn't really a viable option to achieve the end goal of playing this fall. While the Big 10 leadership and Warren have learned some things and will make a few tweaks, the Big 10 isn't going to change its lack of transparency. 

44 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Warren and the Big 10 called the parents bluff. The parents initial letter threatened legal action and this letter takes a much different tone after realizing legal action isn't really a viable option to achieve the end goal of playing this fall. While the Big 10 leadership and Warren have learned some things and will make a few tweaks, the Big 10 isn't going to change its lack of transparency. 

The parents legal action may not have moves forward, but keep an eye on Tom Mars FOIA requests. He's promised to make schools attempts to delay releasing info public and any info released will up the pressure publically. He has a legal standing to pressure the schools for sure. 

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The parents legal action may not have moves forward, but keep an eye on Tom Mars FOIA requests. He's promised to make schools attempts to delay releasing info public and any info released will up the pressure publically. He has a legal standing to pressure the schools for sure. 

Sure. My comment was really more geared towards the difference in tone of the two letters.

Also, FOIA requests can be dragged out over a long period of time for a variety of reasons from non-compliance (really no recourse but to file suit and get an order from the court which takes time), objections, or claims of privilege. All that is to say it could/will be awhile before anything is learned and public interest has waned. 

With no response by the Big Ten to the demand letter, it is rarely useful to send a second letter.  It may be that NU has encouraged the parents to have a few days more patience but I would not hold my breath.  Special K has chosen his path in the matter as any simple reply could have been done in a matter of a day at most.  

The parents will be wise to proceed to file the action as the process will take a couple months minimum to even get a formal reply filing of any kind.  Certainly an immediate temp injunctive order seems in order as there is a very urgent need for action to provide for any protection of the complainants.   Time is critical. And the relief sought is not all that burdensome.  They are not asking for a reversal - only an explanation and official records of formal proceedings etc.  

The most important part of this letter is this: 

the people that have the most skin in the game, the parents of the players are the most vocal about allowing the kids to play. Almost all of us are parents, we love our children and are very protective of them, we love them and we gather tons of information to mitigate risk and danger to our kids.

And the consensus amoung loving parents is they want their kids to play. 

• Fire 1
On 8/26/2020 at 8:23 AM, bugeater17 said:

I'll admit - I was wrong. No bluff in the parents letter as they've now file suit. Cudos to them!

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

I'll admit - I was wrong. No bluff in the parents letter as they've now file suit. Cudos to them!

Evidently, the judge gave Big Ten until Monday to provide the documentation and answers.  As expected, an injunctive order was the court’s immediate response.   It will be interesting to see how the Big Ten ‘bigs’ respond to having to follow the law, uncomfortable as it may be.  

• Plus1 1
  • 8 months later...

Pretty much just confirms what we already knew. Ohio State was doing the same stuff we were, but we're the ones who got s#!t on by the media.

And just to reiterate: f#&% you, Desmond Howard and Paul Finebaum.

• Plus1 8
  • Thanks 1