Kevin Warren shows us why he's being dragged

knapplc

29 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

^

So what your saying is that the commissioner was supposed to 'override' the collective decision of the Big 10 Presidents.  Gotcha.  Pretty sure no commissioner in his right mind would have been dumb enough to do that especially when the reason is Covid-19.

No, thats not what im saying.

What im saying is he displayed zero leadership given the uproar and protest from his own members.  This was an unmitigated PR disaster in the biggest or 2nd biggest sport in the country depending on how you view the rankings of sports in this country

I'm not saying he shoulda gone rogue for the sake of football.  I;m saying his institutions and coaches shouldnt have had a reaction like they just heard of this shift when the public did (pretty much true). HE led a process to justify having a season and HE lead the process to deviate from that 2 weeks later and a few days after the schedule release HE led.

They shouldn't be playing football period given the s#!t going on and lack of knowledge we have on this subject, but he sure chose to take one of the worst routes possible to get there

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Omaha fan said:

He stumbled and bumbled his way through all of this.

he announces on a Wednesday the new revised schedule after supposedly consulting with university presidents, but by the weekend he’s leaking that he would prefer spring and the following week fall gets cancelled? What changed his mind?

The protocols had lots of holes in them, what Nebraska has in place was much better per moos. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/the-b1gs-handling-of-this-situation-has-been-maddening-and-kevin-warren-owes-us-an-explanation/amp/

I'll give you 14 guesses who changed his mind. They did it via a "deliberative process" when the majority decided the liability wasn't worth the gamble of playing the season.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

If he didn’t get a strong majority that wanted to play on that Wednesday, then why bother making an announcement to play a set schedule in the fall and fairly early?

He could have delayed the decision if the vote was close or went for a later start date. It’s up to warren to come up with a proposal. Not the schools or coaches. 

I find it hard to believe there was a clear majority on Wednesday to play and by the weekend the winds had completely changed. 

No chance this happens under Delaney. 

no excuse for not collaborating with other conferences. No excuse not involving players and parents into the process. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As far as I know, the Commissioner and the ADs aren't the ones who made the call to cancel. They were ready to roll with the new schedule just a week earlier! That would indicate that at that point, they hadn't heard anything from the Presidents & Chancellors to suggest that they would be forced to cancel the season. If there was even a strong hint that they would be forced to cancel soon, they would have just kept quiet and not announced the schedule, even if it had been completed. Agreed?

So tell me: if the presidents hadn't been telling the ADs & Commissioner that they were thinking about cancelling a week earlier, what makes you think that they were suddenly more transparent with them in the following week, and the days since?

I think the Commissioner and ADs were almost as blindsided by this as the rest of us were. And the Commissioner has been left to be the public face trying to relay information from school administrators who have been less than transparent with him to date.

42 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

If he didn’t get a strong majority that wanted to play on that Wednesday, then why bother making an announcement to play a set schedule in the fall and fairly early?

He could have delayed the decision if the vote was close or went for a later start date. It’s up to warren to come up with a proposal. Not the schools or coaches. 

I find it hard to believe there was a clear majority on Wednesday to play and by the weekend the winds had completely changed. 

No chance this happens under Delaney. 

no excuse for not collaborating with other conferences. No excuse not involving players and parents into the process. 

One was made by the athletic departments the other by university presidents. And apparently they don’t talk.  

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

What is interesting is I have not been able to locate any of the by-laws or rules for the Big Ten which govern a decision like this to be made. If a link or document exists to the public I would love to review. 

Also, if there was a meeting and a collective decision was reached to cancel you have to think another meeting could be called and a collective decision to play could be made - but i'm not holding my breath. 

I remember someone saying Indiana published it and here is what I found: https://iuhoosiers.com/documents/2018/4/5//2017_18_Big_Ten_Conference_Handbook.pdf?id=27323

20 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

One was made by the athletic departments the other by university presidents. And apparently they don’t talk.  

This is what boggles my mind. It seems like a majority of ADs/coaches were of the opinion they were ready to go, but then a majority of presidents weren't? How were ADs and presidents not talking and on the same page??

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This is what boggles my mind. It seems like a majority of ADs/coaches were of the opinion they were ready to go, but then a majority of presidents weren't? How were ADs and presidents not talking and on the same page??

I think this is telling us that the dysfunction we saw between our Chancellor, President and Athletic Director off and on over the past 20 years isn't only a problem in Nebraska. I'm guessing there's a level of dysfunctional communication at a lot of these schools. It's just better or worse depending on the school.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I think this is telling us that the dysfunction we saw between our Chancellor, President and Athletic Director off and on over the past 20 years isn't only a problem in Nebraska. I'm guessing there's a level of dysfunctional communication at a lot of these schools. It's just better or worse depending on the school.

I bet if non-university people got to see how U's were run, they would be like "Ummmm, what the f#&%?"

I would be willing to bet that they ran better when the AD was a good ole boy former coach and there were not as many lawyers involved and/or business people.  

Schools are run poorly, I taught at a school that had a part-time accountant (who was really just doing it like 5 hours a week and to help out), then they switched over to an old retired person...they finally hired an actual numbers guy.  Within the first two weeks he found out the school was using 5 different cell phone plans AND there was an account of 20,000 dollars that no one knew about.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

Don’t expect warren to issue a statement that talks about his son playing. He’s in a no win situation there if he doesn’t bar his son from playing.  But If he did it might look something like this: 

After much thought and prayerful consideration we’re decided as a family to allow our soN to make his own decision on playing this season at Mississippi state university. We realize these are difficult and trying times, but felt our adult son was in a position to make his own decisions and plan on supporting that decision whatever it may be. 

Why is his son able to decide but not the 3000 or so other sons and daughters across Big Ten schools?   makes him look worse imo.  

Hes better saying he recommended Big Ten play but ‘the vote’ was contrary.  His problem is the schools are backtracking etc. None want to admit they voted NO.  lol

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Simply put..University leaders came to a majority decision out of conversation and litigation mitigation, Warren had to deliver the news, news based solely on "smart" people having a conversation... the backlash happens and now Presidents are backtracking because they dont want to be the one who has to tell their university and donors they advocated to not have a season, so they hide under "there wasn't a vote" although their feedback was "the vote"...I feel bad for Warren as he was only delivering a message that apparently a majority agreed on and now they are backpedaling due to fans saying "F you, tell us why when other conferences are moving forward."

Honestly feel Presidents thought other conferences would follow suit, so why bother with facts when it is all going to be a "in the best interest of players" narrative 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1