Kevin Warren shows us why he's being dragged

knapplc

4 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

Yes I’ve had kids in that age range. Yes you have to give them room but if I’m paying their way or even contributing and I fear for their safety, I’m going to call it. If he thinks our kids are in mortal danger enough to cancel the season, I’m guessing he feels his son is in mortal danger as well. 

while I’m paying your tuition, helping wit expenses, cell phone, insurance etc: no piercings, tattoos or motorcycles. After that you’re on your own 

Powers is on a full ride scholarship.  I have no intention of debating parenting with you but just know that what you suggest is not the norm for young men 4 years removed from high school.  Parents fund their kids to varying degrees, and they even pretend they are in control in some cases, but they aren't.

For the record I think Warren has done a terrible job through this process.  I just think the line of thought you are on is completely off base.    

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Powers is on a full ride scholarship.  I have no intention of debating parenting with you but just know that what you suggest is not the norm for young men 4 years removed from high school.  Parents fund their kids to varying degrees, and they even pretend they are in control in some cases, but they aren't.

For the record I think Warren has done a terrible job through this process.  I just think the line of thought you are on is completely off base.    

Agreed on all fronts. 

We travel in different circles then. When I see my kids heading off a cliff, I feel compelled to offer my input. Most of my friends and my financial support in college for their kids come with strings attached, grades etc

If I felt strongly that my son was in grave danger of dying or permanent injury  like warren seems to think, I would probably step in. I choose to be the parent rather than the friend in those situations.  

you want to ride a motorcycle, piercings, tattoos, get bad grades no problem when you are 100 percent on your own dime. When I’m subsidizing you and your own money could have went towards your tuition, books, insurance, cell phone instead of those things , that’s not going to work , a handful of strings attached. Same for if I see you heading off a cliff. 

if warren is leaving the decision open to his son based on his sons personal needs and intellect,  why not let everyone else’s son to make their own decision too? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

To me, the anti-Nebraska backlash started the moment Warren said "Not if they want to remain in this league." If there's one question Warren should have dodged, it was that one.

2 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Can't wait for the inevitable next step of a mass exodus of players to SEC, ACC, big12 schools so they can get their football fix.

It's already happening at the high school level, but I doubt we'll see it at the college level, for one simple reason. The NCAA would have to approve a blanket transfer eligibility waiver, and I fully expect them to be even more indecisive than the Big Ten.

8 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

He actually wrote a highly rated book about Nebraska football with Tom Osborne writing the foreward for him.  I’m guessing coach doesn’t do that for any schlub.

Indeed, this is on my bookshelf:

eVh66Abl.jpg

This is a pro warren article, supporting knapplecs position castigating the presidents for casting their votes, being untruthful about the process and running for the hills with warren holding the bag . 

Sure, some of that going on, but he still has done a terrible job so far. But by warren agreeing to be the scapegoat, he’s taking his beating and only thrown Nebraska under the bus. The presidents owe him big time now, he’s not going anywhere until he wants to

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/5617842002

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Omaha fan said:

Talking about liability, looks like Death Star injury lawyer coalition is happy football is going to be played. I’m guessing they are hoping that Illinois phd is wrong and that there will be at least 1death.

Not sure why waivers aren’t being used?

https://m.startribune.com/scoggins-warren-big-ten-fumbled-everything-but-the-decision-itself/572161642/

Waivers only support an assumption of the risk defense. You can't have a person sign and agree to waive your negligence. Without going into too much depth, and in short, you will still get sued and expend resources defending a matter that will get past summary disposition. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Not to be political here but isn't that kind of what General Flynn's attorney said? That Flynn was mislead by the fbi team thereby also negligent of the consequences making the charges obsolete?

No, Flynn's issue was there was never a predicate to conduct an investigation re: Flynn. If there was never an underlying crime/charge then his investigation and subsequent untruths to the FBI relating to facts/dates/meetings were not consequential. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Omaha fan said:

Talking about liability, looks like Death Star injury lawyer coalition is happy football is going to be played. I’m guessing they are hoping that Illinois phd is wrong and that there will be at least 1death.

Not sure why waivers aren’t being used?

https://m.startribune.com/scoggins-warren-big-ten-fumbled-everything-but-the-decision-itself/572161642/

NCAA ruled that schools can't use liability waivers on players for Covid.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

No, Flynn's issue was there was never a predicate to conduct an investigation re: Flynn. If there was never an underlying crime/charge then his investigation and subsequent untruths to the FBI relating to facts/dates/meetings were not consequential. 

Correct.

Additionally, Under Title 18 Section 1001 (false statements in Federal matters), there are three components: (1) the statement must be false, (2) the person must know they were making a false statement and (3) the issue must be material. The problem for the FBI with Flynn was that agents were apparently unconvinced that Flynn knew he was making false statements with regard to his contact with the Russians. This isn't getting into politics as much as it is a matter of legal distinction. I'm not an attorney but I am a federal agent who has requested Title 18 prosecutions.

I would NEVER ask the DOJ for a Title 18 prosecution if there was a scintilla of a doubt in my mind that my Subject was unsure that they made a false statement. They get a huge amount of leeway from me (and most federal agents) if there is any such doubt.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1