Kevin Warren shows us why he's being dragged

knapplc

12 hours ago, teachercd said:

So his suggestion was either

Lose millions, cripple college towns, ruin eligibility, cripple schools

or

Why don't we try and play

If his pitch was the second one...he didn't try very hard,

Occam's razor right here.......The B1G (whom ever ultimately made the decision) failed miserably.  I don't think "they" had any intention to play or a plan.....It was a massive failure across the board......I am unsure if some true "college towns" will survive without football.  Look at schools cutting sports, cutting salaries, furloughing employees.....And they haven't even missed the season yet.....

• Plus1 1

This just proves that the people in power only run with other people in power and have no real finger on the pulse of “everyday” people. To not think the decision wouldn’t be highly scrutinized???

what in the actual f#&%??? 

and shutting down entire economies is just “inconvenient” I suppose, done by people who have never run a business or produced one damn thing in their lives. He should be summarily fired for making that comment. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, I am I said:

This just proves that the people in power only run with other people in power and have no real finger on the pulse of “everyday” people. To not think the decision wouldn’t be highly scrutinized???

what in the actual f#&%??? 

and shutting down entire economies is just “inconvenient” I suppose, done by people who have never run a business or produced one damn thing in their lives. He should be summarily fired for making that comment. 

him and  the university administrators.  I cannot believe that they would be so callous about the implact this decision would have at this level.  Evern the Sunbelt is playing.  The Sunbelt. 

• Plus1 1

If the guy actually said that, and it seems to fit based on the story thus far, he is clearly in way over his head.   How could any reasonably capable thinker actually believe that shutting down college sports (especially football that is the golden egg layer), would be no big deal?   And this following an entire spring and summer with a pandemic, 40 million unemployed in May?   Riots in Minneapolis - his home town - which may have been sparked by a cop video but are fueled by the shutdowns and social distancing and masking and losses of basic freedoms and activities of summer and the real fear, anxiety, depression and frustrations across society in general.  And he suggests people would hardly pay attention or ask questions?  

This has been at the very core of the entire shutdown controversy really.  This guy makes $400,000 a month, hasn't suffered a financial penny since the virus hit (basically has had nothing much to do in his job since he started as BTN is running reruns of ‘classic’ games and gossip talk an no sports to oversee at all.  

He has been rockin the social boat stirring up political unrest and not doing his frickin job!   Clueless in Minneapolis - employed in Chicago - not working from home.  

12 hours ago, Decked said:

Iowa cut multiple sports and NU will furlough 51 employees and everyone in the athletic dept takes a 10% pay cut. Also no more training table starting Monday. 3 mil in savings. Warren is gonna get s#!tcanned for sure once these seasons kick off. 

I’m angry too but he won’t be let go. The university presidents are appreciating having warren take the heat for the decision. They also hired him, going to look bad that they hired the wrong guy. And as the first black power 5 commissioner, they don’t want any additional scrutiny of firing someone like that 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Not just the messenger....

Every Big Ten athletic director wanted a fall 2020 college football season, Nebraska's Bill Moos told Sam McKewon of the Omaha World Herald. In a column published Saturday by McKewon, Moos said that he and several of his fellow athletic directors — Ohio State's Gene Smith, Penn State's Sandy Barbour and Michigan's Warde Manuel — pushed hardest for the fall while Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren reportedly preferred this spring.

"(Warren) knew where we were coming from, and he was the messenger to the presidents and chancellors," Moos said, according to McKewon, who wrote that Moos noted there "was unanimous agreement" among all conference athletics directors for keeping a season in the fall.

Moos added that a Zoom meeting between all the parties did not happen. In addition, Smith and Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez were not involved with "key discussions that shaped the league's decisions," Moos said, per McKewon. Warren instead was in the meeting on behalf of the athletic directors. 

While the details are interesting, I don't find it a revelation Warren manipulated the internal dialog to reach the decision he supported from the outset.  

My curiosity is just how drunk w/power was he?  Following the Power 5 Presidents meeting, the media buzz was that the outlook was "negative", the BIG & PAC would announce a decision the following day, & "the SEC was expected to follow the BIG's lead".  

OK, the PAC was never going to play, the BIG is announcing w/them, I wasn't even a little surprised the season was cancelled, & then pleasantly surprised NU wanted to go forward on it's own.  

But, that last statement in any context is laughable.  The SEC would push forward if all their games were being played in Wuhan.  Who was naïve enough to create that narrative?  The South might succeed from the union over CF & the SEC gives the NCAA the middle finger.  Who believed they were going to follow Warren's lead?  Warren?  If so, this clown thought he was playing 4D Chess while playing tidily winks.  

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, krc1995 said:

So the AD’s needed to go through Warren to communicate to their own universities?  How dysfunctional is that?  Like the worst marriage ever. 

and did anyone read this thread title as drugged and and dragged?  

On this week’s Pick 6 Podcast, Sam McKewon did a good job of explaining Warren’s actions during the review process.  Basically, Warren took a siloed approach to meeting with the health officials, university presidents, and AD’s. He met with them as individual groups, but never had the groups meet together to discuss.  All the AD’s could have said they wanted football, but unless they have a clear line of communication to their respective presidents, then that message is going to get lost.

Warren’s decision to go with that approach was a colossal failure, as it led to broken lines of communication. That’s why AD’s were saying “there wasn’t a vote” or “the vote was in favor of shutting down the season”. They weren’t present for the vote of the presidents.

McKewon had another good point in that the university presidents may not know how much football is needed to prop up the rest of the athletic departments, university, and local economy. Some of these presidents are new to their positions and don’t have the history in the community like many of the AD’s do. While Moos is new to NU, he gets how much football means to the athletic department, and he has an aligned view on things with Ted Carter and Ronnie Green. The same can’t be said at other universities. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On this week’s Pick 6 Podcast, Sam McKewon did a good job of explaining Warren’s actions during the review process.  Basically, Warren took a siloed approach to meeting with the health officials, university presidents, and AD’s. He met with them as individual groups, but never had the groups meet together to discuss.  All the AD’s could have said they wanted football, but unless they have a clear line of communication to their respective presidents, then that message is going to get lost.

Warren’s decision to go with that approach was a colossal failure, as it led to broken lines of communication. That’s why AD’s were saying “there wasn’t a vote” or “the vote was in favor of shutting down the season”. They weren’t present for the vote of the presidents.

McKewon had another good point in that the university presidents may not know how much football is needed to prop up the rest of the athletic departments, university, and local economy. Some of these presidents are new to their positions and don’t have the history in the community like many of the AD’s do. While Moos is new to NU, he gets how much football means to the athletic department, and he has an aligned view on things with Ted Carter and Ronnie Green. The same can’t be said at other universities. 

But we still have threads saying how Warren should not be getting flack.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
5 hours ago, floridacorn said:

While the details are interesting, I don't find it a revelation Warren manipulated the internal dialog to reach the decision he supported from the outset.  

My curiosity is just how drunk w/power was he?  Following the Power 5 Presidents meeting, the media buzz was that the outlook was "negative", the BIG & PAC would announce a decision the following day, & "the SEC was expected to follow the BIG's lead".  

OK, the PAC was never going to play, the BIG is announcing w/them, I wasn't even a little surprised the season was cancelled, & then pleasantly surprised NU wanted to go forward on it's own.  

But, that last statement in any context is laughable.  The SEC would push forward if all their games were being played in Wuhan.  Who was naïve enough to create that narrative?  The South might succeed from the union over CF & the SEC gives the NCAA the middle finger.  Who believed they were going to follow Warren's lead?  Warren?  If so, this clown thought he was playing 4D Chess while playing tidily winks.  

Best post ever

Well done and spot on 

• Fire 1

I really feel they should have the process start over.  They should have Prez's, AD's, HC's coaches listen to the Medical people.  Allow AD's, coaches and Prez's have their conversations within the different Universities.  Then Ad's and Presidents together for conversations.  Lastly the Presidents meet to "vote."  This should have been lead by the commish.  No wonder the process was so fast.  

This isn't rocket science.  I have been both an AD and the Athletic representative for a HS to a conference.  This is how it is always done.  The process they used is called FUBAR.  The process should start over.  What Warren is doing now is hiding and pouting because he realized he screwed up and doesn't have the confidence or experience to swallow his pride and do it the right way.

I still might not like the answer, but it is easier to take if the process was done the right way.  This, Mr. Warren, is why the people are reacting the way they are.  Plan and simple this was a lack of leadership, and the blame does go beyond Mr. Warren.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m not sure about the Nebraska parents filing a lawsuit. But I am going to love seeing the transcripts and maybe tapes of went on behind closed doors with the ads and presidents, when that information is shared.

Kevin warren is sweating bullets  that this information never sees the light of day. Because if it becomes public he is going to be exposed as the incompetent fool he is .  He is made of Teflon, he can’t be fired, but the nfl commissioner job will be a no go,

• Plus1 1