Kevin Warren shows us why he's being dragged

knapplc

8 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’m not sure about the Nebraska parents filing a lawsuit. But I am going to love seeing the transcripts and maybe tapes of went on behind closed doors with the ads and presidents, when that information is shared.

Kevin warren is sweating bullets  that this information never sees the light of day. Because if it becomes public he is going to be exposed as the incompetent fool he is .  He is made of Teflon, he can’t be fired, but the nfl commissioner job will be a no go,

Pretty sure that is exactly what the NFL wants.  Someone who can deliver what the owners say and then take the heat for them.  This is a perfect job interview.  They don't need someone who thinks for himself, just a figure head. They have others who actually plan and implement.

• Plus1 1

44 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I really feel they should have the process start over.  They should have Prez's, AD's, HC's coaches listen to the Medical people.  Allow AD's, coaches and Prez's have their conversations within the different Universities.  Then Ad's and Presidents together for conversations.  Lastly the Presidents meet to "vote."  This should have been lead by the commish.  No wonder the process was so fast.  

This isn't rocket science.  I have been both an AD and the Athletic representative for a HS to a conference.  This is how it is always done.  The process they used is called FUBAR.  The process should start over.  What Warren is doing now is hiding and pouting because he realized he screwed up and doesn't have the confidence or experience to swallow his pride and do it the right way.

I still might not like the answer, but it is easier to take if the process was done the right way.  This, Mr. Warren, is why the people are reacting the way they are.  Plan and simple this was a lack of leadership, and the blame does go beyond Mr. Warren.

And I would the information that they have to support postponement. Maybe they have very valid medical and prognostic information that should be shared for the good of everyone.  

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

On this week’s Pick 6 Podcast, Sam McKewon did a good job of explaining Warren’s actions during the review process.  Basically, Warren took a siloed approach to meeting with the health officials, university presidents, and AD’s. He met with them as individual groups, but never had the groups meet together to discuss.  All the AD’s could have said they wanted football, but unless they have a clear line of communication to their respective presidents, then that message is going to get lost.

Warren’s decision to go with that approach was a colossal failure, as it led to broken lines of communication. That’s why AD’s were saying “there wasn’t a vote” or “the vote was in favor of shutting down the season”. They weren’t present for the vote of the presidents.

McKewon had another good point in that the university presidents may not know how much football is needed to prop up the rest of the athletic departments, university, and local economy. Some of these presidents are new to their positions and don’t have the history in the community like many of the AD’s do. While Moos is new to NU, he gets how much football means to the athletic department, and he has an aligned view on things with Ted Carter and Ronnie Green. The same can’t be said at other universities. 

I don't buy this for one second, and neither should anyone else. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Univ Admin better be aware of the importance and econ role the schools have in the community and states.  If not, they have no business being in charge.  No excuses for ignorance of such a fundamental fact.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I posted that poorly. Sam’s point was that some University presidents may be “too new” and be focused on academics in their position to fully understand the importance of athletics at a specific school. Sam pointed out that Ohio State’s President was named to her job in March. Do you really think she has enough tenure at that job to fully understand how much football and athletics means to Ohio State? While she may have family ties to Ohio and Ohio State, she’s was previously at SUNY, and they aren’t exactly known for their athletics.

In a lot of schools there is a disconnect between the academia and athletic administration, and that’s how they prefer it. A lot of academia would prefer to keep athletics out of colleges and universities. Honestly, they aren’t too far off base. The U.S. is the only college system in the world which has athletics at the college level. In Europe and elsewhere around the world, academics and athletics are kept separate.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I posted that poorly. Sam’s point was that some University presidents may be “too new” and be focused on academics in their position to fully understand the importance of athletics at a specific school. Sam pointed out that Ohio State’s President was named to her job in March. Do you really think she has enough tenure at that job to fully understand how much football and athletics means to Ohio State? While she may have family ties to Ohio and Ohio State, she’s was previously at SUNY, and they aren’t exactly known for their athletics.

In a lot of schools there is a disconnect between the academia and athletic administration, and that’s how they prefer it. A lot of academia would prefer to keep athletics out of colleges and universities. Honestly, they aren’t too far off base. The U.S. is the only college system in the world which has athletics at the college level. In Europe and elsewhere around the world, academics and athletics are kept separate.

I think anyone that gets named as President to a university system such as Ohio State has a good enough of an idea what athletics means to that University, and if they don't, they aren't fit for the job. 

I think it's really an issue of Sam twisting words to make some sort of point, as he is wont to do. 

• Plus1 3

Maybe I'm thinking of this too much as a normal business, but I don't see how it would have made sense for Warren to invite the ADs and presidents to the same meeting to discuss this. The presidents are the ADs' bosses. What AD is gonna want to say something that contradicts their boss in from of the conference commissioner? There are some things I'm more of an expert on than my boss but if I'm in a meeting with her boss or a client I don't disagree with her in front of them. These discussions belong internally between the presidents and ADs at the individual schools or at the very least without Warren there. Maybe everything moved too fast for them to discuss it enough before meeting with Warren.

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I think anyone that gets names as President to a university system that Ohio State has a good enough of an idea what athletics means to that University, and if they don't, they aren't fit for the job. 

I think it's really an issue of Sam twisting words to make some sort of point, as he is wont to do. 

Either way, there was piss poor communication and planning across the leadership of the Big Ten, especially from Warren and university presidents, whom eventually made the call. They went with the “extreme” view on things and pulled the plug without thinking of a middle ground and trying to make alternatives work. 

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe I'm thinking of this too much as a normal business, but I don't see how it would have made sense for Warren to invite the ADs and presidents to the same meeting to discuss this. The presidents are the ADs' bosses. What AD is gonna want to say something that contradicts their boss in from of the conference commissioner? These discussions belong between the presidents and ADs at the individual schools. Maybe everything moved too fast for them to discuss it enough before meeting with Warren.

Might depend on the relationship.  Some Presidents might be super hands off. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe I'm thinking of this too much as a normal business, but I don't see how it would have made sense for Warren to invite the ADs and presidents to the same meeting to discuss this. The presidents are the ADs' bosses. What AD is gonna want to say something that contradicts their boss in from of the conference commissioner? There are some things I'm more of an expert on than my boss but if I'm in a meeting with her boss or a client I don't disagree with her in front of them. These discussions belong internally between the presidents and ADs at the individual schools or at the very least without Warren there. Maybe everything moved too fast for them to discuss it enough before meeting with Warren.

I can't believe five months isn't enough time to get their poop in a group.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe I'm thinking of this too much as a normal business, but I don't see how it would have made sense for Warren to invite the ADs and presidents to the same meeting to discuss this. The presidents are the ADs' bosses. What AD is gonna want to say something that contradicts their boss in from of the conference commissioner? There are some things I'm more of an expert on than my boss but if I'm in a meeting with her boss I don't argue with her in front of him. These discussions belong internally between the presidents and ADs at the individual schools or at the very least without Warren there. Maybe everything moved too fast for them to discuss it enough before meeting with Warren.

Warren, the presidents, and the AD’s had 5 months to figure out a plan, figure out how much an impact a lost football season would have on everything, and try to figure out alternatives. “Things moving too fast” was their own fault because they sat on their hands and just hoped the pandemic would go away. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Warren, the presidents, and the AD’s had 5 months to figure out a plan, figure out how much an impact a lost football season would have on everything, and try to figure out alternatives. “Things moving too fast” was their own fault because they sat on their hands and just hoped the pandemic would go away. 

True. I think mostly I'm just disagreeing that Warren and the presidents/ADs should have all met together. I do not think that would have accomplished anything above what actually happened because the ADs aren't going to disagree with the presidents in front of Warren or in front of the other schools' ADs/presidents. I have a feeling the presidents are as much to blame as Warren for either not meeting with their ADs or not listening to them, but are happy to let him take more of the heat.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Moiraine said:

True. I think mostly I'm just disagreeing that Warren and the presidents/ADs should have all met together. I do not think that would have accomplished anything above what actually happened because the ADs aren't going to disagree with the presidents in front of Warren or in front of the other schools' ADs/presidents. I have a feeling the presidents are as much to blame as Warren for either not meeting with their ADs or not listening to them, but are happy to let him take more of the heat.

They should have met together because the AD’s are focused on the workings of the athletic departments, while university presidents are focused on running universities. These are academic admins, who like others have mentioned, they probably prefer to stay away from athletics. Yes, they are happy that Warren is being the fall guy here. 

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Either way, there was piss poor communication and planning across the leadership of the Big Ten, especially from Warren and university presidents, whom eventually made the call. They went with the “extreme” view on things and pulled the plug without thinking of a middle ground and trying to make alternatives work. 

1000% agree. 

• Plus1 1