Kevin Warren shows us why he's being dragged

knapplc

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

Ok my bad on the Penn State then, but a "deliberative process" does not equal a vote. The loudest voice in the room wins in a deliberative process and it's likely that some schools just went along for the ride as they didn't know which way to go. This should have come down to each school saying yes or no and a formal vote count with each school making their opinion known.

Also, the Minnesota president did say there wasn't a vote.

Voting and arguing to a decision that others go along with is pretty different.

"Per se."

Which is the same as saying, "We didn't NOT vote, per se."

You would think football fans would have enough experience with coach-speak to know it when they hear it.  That is CYA for the presidents, nothing more. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, C-4 said:

Look what OSU fans say about him.

I have. They do not think he's legit. 

LINK

He says he has connections, which are always anonymous. For instance, it's ludicrous to think that any members of the Board were talking to him after the Urban situation, and that was evidenced by the fact that their subsequent actions towards Drake (glowing revue and maximum bonus) directly contradicted what his allegedly iron clad sources on the Board had been telling him. He was absolutely wrong about the fundraising effect of the Urban suspension and retirement. He was absolutely wrong about Tressel being any kind of candidate for President.

What Snook does is throw s#!t at the wall (uniformly in line with the desires of his mouth breathing followers on Ozone) with the "my sources tell me" background, and if it sticks, he comes off as some serious insider type guy. If it turns out to be bulls#!t, everyone forgets, and he just moves on to the next "my sources tell me" story line.

Perhaps he has some athletic department sources with regards to things like recruiting or the preseason depth chart. With regards to sources on important university-wide decision making coming out of Bricker Hall or the Board much less the Big Ten offices in Rosemont, I think he's utterly full of s#!t, and his track record of failure backs me up on this.

1 minute ago, C-4 said:

That’s literally one fan opinion. C’mon. Check the reddit OSU board. There’s multiple fans there that say while they don’t like him, he’s legit.

That board is full of people who don't think this guy is just making stuff up.  The guy I quoted pointed out multiple failures in his "insider" reporting. He's just another internet guy claiming to have a source. 

• Fire 1

I'm not sure focusing on the vote really matters at this point.  I think it is easy to assume some in the conference were likely against playing this season and would have "voted" against a fall season.  Football just doesn't mean as much in places like Rutgers, Maryland, etc... 

I do think Warren deserves much criticism over how this process has been handled.  The lack of planning, the weird chain of events, his lack of leadership, and especially his lack of communication all indicate he is in over his head.  I also believe his commitment to Big 10 athletics should be questioned because of the simple fact that he allowed the Big 10 to be the first domino to fall.  Even if he personally was against having a season, he should have just pushed for a later start to avoid all the negative press for the Big 10.  

Maybe he is acting out of fear for his own son and assumed the other leagues would cancel once the Big 10 did?  That seems as likely as any scenario right now.    

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I'm not sure focusing on the vote really matters at this point.  I think it is easy to assume some in the conference were likely against playing this season and would have "voted" against a fall season.  Football just doesn't mean as much in places like Rutgers, Maryland, etc... 

I do think Warren deserves much criticism over how this process has been handled.  The lack of planning, the weird chain of events, his lack of leadership, and especially his lack of communication all indicate he is in over his head.  I also believe his commitment to Big 10 athletics should be questioned because of the simple fact that he allowed the Big 10 to be the first domino to fall.  Even if he personally was against having a season, he should have just pushed for a later start to avoid all the negative press for the Big 10.  

Maybe he is acting out of fear for his own son and assumed the other leagues would cancel once the Big 10 did?  That seems as likely as any scenario right now.    

I wonder if he and the presidents felt like they would be the crusaders out front rather than the ones left on the island.

It can still be corrected, but egos will make it tough.  Fact remains, this guy should be working 20 hours a day trying to figure out how to make it work.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes it’s my guess Warren wanted to be the out front leader hero on this covid cancellation thing to cement his spot as the next nfl commissioner.

Why not wait until we get more data from what happens once schools open and full contact practices begin? Why not wait to see what other conferences are doing.

Makes perfect sense now.

According to several non league sources he had zero coordination and contact with the sec, big 12 and acc about what he was doing. They were caught off guard on both his rescheduling and the cancellation. All so he could be the first one to declare the season over.

Why else would he go from revising the schedule to canceling in less than one week just because the Mac announced they were cancelling? So he could beat all the other power 5 teams to the punch. 

He wanted the glory of being the first power 5 to cancel. 

Just like he wanted all the pr for doing his rock the vote and social justice warrior initiatives- to be out front to add to his resume for the nfl. 

Not a fan at all . 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

He wanted to glory of being the first power 5 to cancel. 

Just like he wanted all the pr for doing his rock the vote and social justice warrior initiatives- to be out front to add to his resume for the nfl.

So much speculation going on there.

I think the conferences are kind of like the NCAA; they derive their power from their members. In that sense, I think both of these statements can be true at the same time:

-Kevin Warren is being scapegoated to a certain degree here.

-The B1G (as a collective unit, meaning including not only the central office but its member schools) had five months to craft a comprehensive plan but didn't do it.

Different train of thought: I wonder if the BTN contract itself is part of the roadblock here? Let's say 6-8 schools do want to play and that some kind of liability waiver could be drafted for them to sign and then have some kind of ad hoc season. You can't generate the original amount of revenue for the full TV schedule, right? So how would divide the money?

Thing is, some money is way better than no money isn't it?

Maybe that's where the spring season comes in. Maybe Warren is actually dead serious about putting together a spring season. I'm just personally in the camp that believes that's a pipe dream for various reasons.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s the job of the conference to develop the protocols. If you have 14 different sets of protocols how do you insure that the visiting schools are safe?

Every away game would come with a completely different set of processes if those programs had one.

this is a perfect situation for when the conference administrators lead, instead of having 14 totally separate sets of protocols and processes.  So you let 14 different schools invest in developing all those protocols instead of the league developing one for all 14 teams?? 

Since one would assume the league would have lots more access to information from other leagues about how they were handling the problem. but now we know warren wasn’t doing that. 

Not sure why anyone but warrens mom would give him cover on this.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

If warren feared for his own son, why not hold his son out? Make it a personal decision not to play? 

his personal decision has been to allow his son to play, while banning a couple of thousand big12 players from playing or having the freedom to make the personal decision not to play 

im amazed at the amount of leeway  warren is getting. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Omaha fan said:

If he feared for his own son, why not hold his son out? Make it a personal decision not to play? 

his personal decision has been to allow his son to play, while banning a couple of thousand big12 players from playing or having the freedom to make the personal decision not to play 

You're making a great case for this being the decision of the presidents/chancellors and not Warren himself. Kudos.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're making a great case for this being the decision of the presidents/chancellors and not Warren himself. Kudos.

Several  reliable sources reporting that warren was the one advocating for no fall season, the words were “railroading” with no vote. More information will follow I’m guessing as the emperors clothes start to be called out for what they are. 

would be consistent with the Vikings fans that called him two faced. Would also be consistent with him being a very poor decision maker with one rule for the public and another  for himself. 

Lots of data pointing to him failing miserably at this from so many angles. Hoping all the details come out. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1