Big Ten Council of Presidents VOTED to postpone Fall sports

knapplc

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well that convinces me.

I’m still disappointed in the postponement/cancellation, and if OSU truly is getting the band back together and believe it’s safe to do so, I’m okay with us tagging along.

But I’m at peace with the B1G decision now. I now focus hopes on a fall 2021 season.

• Fire 2

48 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

No offense but that's exactly it.  How do you exactly plan for all of this???  Covid hasn't exactly been a smooth slope.  More like a pretty slippery and constantly changing one.

Yes, it has been an evolving issue. That said, these guys had five months to plan for contingencies. As the saying goes, "that's why they're paid the big bucks." Unfortunately, they looked no more competent than the NCAA folks. Poor communication, bad PR and terrible execution. 

Per Bill Moos, the ADs were having daily calls, coaches were having calls together with all levels of the university and conference, medical plans were developed along with dozens of contingency plans regarding all sorts of factors. If the athletic departments were putting in that much work and detail, it would be expected that the conference office would at least put in a little effort to provide some plans of any variety. Instead, the decision was a flat push to spring with no sign of a plan other than we're hopeful for a spring season with zero autonomy for the schools who can manage themselves.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

There will be PLENTY of people who think that. I get asking questions, especially since the conference brass hasn't been very forthcoming, but you know there will be people who continue to believe Warren ramrodded this through because it was all his idea. Or whatever. 

Well he DID lie in his letter why would you think he would be truthful on anything else.  

1)Transmission rates are currently falling, NOT rising. 
2) They won’t know much more about LONG-TERM myocarditis effects on then COVID-19 patients in January that they don’t already know now.  5 more months doesn’t give any more safety data on long term effects since the current data says recovered patients are currently fine in terms of heart disease issues. 
3). I have not heard of any university saying they don’t have access to tests, though I admittedly don’t closely follow all 14 programs. 
4)  currently CTE risks and known long-term damage from CTE are in far greater numbers than COVID-19 risks for this age group. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Other presidents and chancellors HAVE been asked that question and none of them said there was a vote.

A FOIA request would get results. A public record of roll call vote exists.  A secret one would likely be a violation of open meetings law.  Big Ten is a quasi public institution and Univ Pres are public officials. 

29 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

A FOIA request would get results. A public record of roll call vote exists.  A secret one would likely be a violation of open meetings law.  Big Ten is a quasi public institution and Univ Pres are public officials. 

But Northwestern isn’t  

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

What they’re saying is, Too Much We Do Not Know. We don’t know. We don’t know.

The success or failure of the potential Big 12/SEC seasons will sort this out. Their attempts to play will either be a brilliant example of taking a leap of faith and being rewarded for it, or will be the dumbest thing they could have chosen by endangering the health and safety of the players when they should have known better. Either way, the Big Fourteen can just sit back and find out which of the answers is the correct one. Let the other conferences be the guinea pigs and watch for and learn from the results.

This is the Game Within The Game. The Big 10/Pac 12 vs. the SEC/etc. Who will end up being the smart ones? Who will end up saying I Told You So. Who will win the PR (and recruiting) wars? Who will be The Good Guys and who will look like the villains? And will anybody be playing football in 2021?

I disagree.

What makes sense is going forward until you have enough data to cancel.  Right now we have no clue how widespread the infections will be within the teams. 

We already know that college kids aren’t at risk to die or for long term health problems.

By aggressively trying to play a season, the sec, big12 and acc all proved they are very passionate and serious about playing, the big10 and pac not so much. 

• Plus1 2

Anyone who has listened to Warren knows that he likely didn't draft this letter.  It was released by the Big 10 in an effort to calm the angry mob.  Some language in it is encouraging though.  If you read between the lines, it does allow for return the athletics as soon as they feel it's safe.  That could be next week, next month, whatever.  As soon as the rapid test availability is sufficient to conduct daily testing for athletes, they really will have no excuse.      

• Plus1 3
30 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Anyone who has listened to Warren knows that he likely didn't draft this letter.  It was released by the Big 10 in an effort to calm the angry mob.  Some language in it is encouraging though.  If you read between the lines, it does allow for return the athletics as soon as they feel it's safe.  That could be next week, next month, whatever.  As soon as the rapid test availability is sufficient to conduct daily testing for athletes, they really will have no excuse.      

So really, what you're saying and what I believe is, the letter said exactly what they said initially and completely ignores the question of who vote voted to postpone. In so, the letter has done exactly "nothing" to pacify both the athletes and parents nor the fans all while focusing the blame on Warren and protecting the voter(s).

7 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

So really, what you're saying and what I believe is, the letter said exactly what they said initially and completely ignores the question of who vote voted to postpone. In so, the letter has done exactly "nothing" to pacify both the athletes and parents nor the fans all while focusing the blame on Warren and protecting the voter(s).

That's exactly what they've been doing this whole time. That letter was the product of eight days' silence, and is just trying to deflect heat from those responsible.

They know how much this decision is going to anger people. They're trying to survive the fallout with a three-card monte of "who's responsible." 

• Plus1 1