Big Ten Council of Presidents VOTED to postpone Fall sports

knapplc

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's exactly what they've been doing this whole time. That letter was the product of eight days' silence, and is just trying to deflect heat from those responsible.

They know how much this decision is going to anger people. They're trying to survive the fallout with a three-card monte of "who's responsible." 

Exactly! It took eight days before producing the letter yesterday that really didn't give any more insight into the decision. I know the media took Nebraska's resilience as irresponsible and the commish did us no favors but that letter was the best they could produce? Even if the other three conferences cancel their seasons in the coming weeks, the Big Ten botched this whole deal. 

The Big Ten will continue collect their TV money and be mocked as a conference that doesn't care about college athletics by the great majority of the country. Sure there is something to be said about those who put conference athletics over health and safety but without athletics, any conference can be arguably irrelevant. For example, I would imagine most people wouldn't know that AAU (Assoc. of American Universities) was a thing until it was publicly announced that Nebraska was dropped from it. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's exactly what they've been doing this whole time. That letter was the product of eight days' silence, and is just trying to deflect heat from those responsible.

They know how much this decision is going to anger people. They're trying to survive the fallout with a three-card monte of "who's responsible." 

The thing that's funny is if they had released this letter along with the announcement it probably would have held back some of the outrage. Now people are mad already so this did little to help and even irritated people more at this point because they could have shared this at the beginning.

• Plus1 2
On 8/19/2020 at 3:44 PM, Roundball Shaman said:

What they’re saying is, Too Much We Do Not Know. We don’t know. We don’t know.

The success or failure of the potential Big 12/SEC seasons will sort this out. Their attempts to play will either be a brilliant example of taking a leap of faith and being rewarded for it, or will be the dumbest thing they could have chosen by endangering the health and safety of the players when they should have known better. Either way, the Big Fourteen can just sit back and find out which of the answers is the correct one. Let the other conferences be the guinea pigs and watch for and learn from the results.

This is the Game Within The Game. The Big 10/Pac 12 vs. the SEC/etc. Who will end up being the smart ones? Who will end up saying I Told You So. Who will win the PR (and recruiting) wars? Who will be The Good Guys and who will look like the villains? And will anybody be playing football in 2021?

I really dont think not playing, if the other conferences implode due to COVID, will win any recruiting bonuses for the BIG or PAC.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The thing that's funny is if they had released this letter along with the announcement it probably would have held back some of the outrage. Now people are mad already so this did little to help and even irritated people more at this point because they could have shared this at the beginning.

I go back to my advice to any of my employees...dont send an email to be first to respond, send a thought out one, first responses are generally emotional response without thinking of all angles

So, has there been any released report of the actual vote tally by the Big Ten board / council members?  I have seen the apparent leaked (alleged) vote counts of 12-2 initially and the later one of 8-6.  Never saw anything from a Board member of the numbers beyond NU’s saying it was overwhelmingly No. 

12-2 sounds closer than 8-6 AND my quick reading of Big Ten bi-laws / rules say a 60% vote is required. That means a minimum of 9-5 to have that, unless the rule was amended recently. The copy I found was about 2017 vintage.  

Anyone find a copy of 2020 fiscal year ending 6/30 financial results for Big Ten.  Just curious how the spring losses hurt and what projections are for 2020-21 look.  A huge hit from TV losses will surely happen.  

25 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So, has there been any released report of the actual vote tally by the Big Ten board / council members?  I have seen the apparent leaked (alleged) vote counts of 12-2 initially and the later one of 8-6.  Never saw anything from a Board member of the numbers beyond NU’s saying it was overwhelmingly No. 

12-2 sounds closer than 8-6 AND my quick reading of Big Ten bi-laws / rules say a 60% vote is required. That means a minimum of 9-5 to have that, unless the rule was amended recently. The copy I found was about 2017 vintage.  

Anyone find a copy of 2020 fiscal year ending 6/30 financial results for Big Ten.  Just curious how the spring losses hurt and what projections are for 2020-21 look.  A huge hit from TV losses will surely happen.  

The parents lawsuit is demanding that all of these details and recordings of these meetings be released so maybe there will be more clarity soon.

• Plus1 1

Another statement by the Big Ten that there was a vote, and that it was "overwhelming."

I think everyone would like to see the results for themselves. The Big Ten offices aren't exactly making themselves super trustworthy through all of this. "Take our word for it, it was overwhelming." 

Yeah, thanks. Just show me the receipts. 

i0IFSm8.jpg

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Another statement by the Big Ten that there was a vote, and that it was "overwhelming."

I think everyone would like to see the results for themselves. The Big Ten offices aren't exactly making themselves super trustworthy through all of this. "Take our word for it, it was overwhelming." 

Yeah, thanks. Just show me the receipts. 

i0IFSm8.jpg

B1G: "Ya, we all voted and it was overwhelming and you should just believe us no one actually wanted to play for safety reasons."

Football Fans/Players/Parents: "Ok, show us the vote and your reasoning for it please."

B1G: "Ya, we all voted and it was overwhelming and you should just believe us no one actually wanted to play for safety reasons."

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

18 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I wonder how Moos would have handled this had he been the comish? With every decision he makes I find myself more impressed by his poise, class, and wisdom. We are lucky to have him. 

And doesn't this all make you wonder who was feeding the hatchet job stuff to the press about him a couple of years ago?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 3
31 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So if we don’t want want to play some stupid spring football season, can they make us? Will they kick us out if we don’t play? 

I had not considered this. I would be strongly inclined to decline any stupid spring season. If we start Thanksgiving or later I think it only handicaps us, or any B1G team, for the 2021 season. You hate to give up game experience but if you get a critical player injured in January or February, potential recovery time is significantly reduced.

Anyway, it's an interesting question what happens if some teams refuse whatever the B1G comes up with.

• Plus1 1