TE Thomas Fidone

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

51 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Fidone commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

15 hours ago, Farms said:

Some people may not like comments like that but I love it. We need more alphas on this team.

I like the attitude, but temper my enthusiasm in reading too much from it. Maybe he's unique, but I remember the same things surrounding Niles Paul before he got here. How he was a culture changing receiver and just a killer that was unlike anybody we had in the locker room. He gets to Lincoln and what he thought was hard work wasn't hard work in the college sense. Paul was able to dedicate himself athletically and had a very nice career at Nebraska and in the NFL. But that expectation that you step onto a college field and do things the same way that you did them in high school usually smacks you in the face pretty hard.

The athleticism and size that guys like Fidone and Paul possess let them dominate the high school level. There is a lot to learn about the craft and maturing as an athlete, especially at the TE position. I expect Fidone to come in and be an instant contributor from the slot, be a mismatch in the red zone, and play some H-Back in some of our 10 and 12 packages. However he's going to be behind Allen and Stoll (if he returns) on most of our 11 personnel sets. I don't put too high of expectations on any freshman to come in and save the team, especially at such a physically demanding position.

For me, if he stays healthy and gets 350 yards next season, that would be a tremendous accomplishment.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Allen will have a lot to say about this. He's really coming into his own. That being said, the internal competition and fire needs to be stepped up a bit and the more guys like this the better. Hope he can back it up.

I think it's being blown out of proportion a little bit anyway, he didn't claim he'd be immediately better than Allen. And he has more physical talent, so he should be down the road. But I also think even though he said "at one point," he does actually believe that will be next year - and that I love. Will he be better than Allen right away, probably not. Allen has been really really good, like you said. But we need guys who are trying to pass other guys, not just waiting their turn. He's probably not passing Allen and Vokolek right away, but he's much more athletic so I could see him being used as the #2 even if he's really the #3.

1 hour ago, The_Fan_Man said:

For me, if he stays healthy and gets 350 yards next season, that would be a tremendous accomplishment.

That's pretty high for low expectations, our starting TE has only hit that mark 3 times in the last decade. Kyler Reed had 395 in 2010 and 357 in 2012, and Tyler Hoppes had 377 in 2017. Allen is technically on pace for ~360 if we assumed 12 games for this year. But if Fidone gets 350 as a true freshman probably not even starting, I will be all aboard the hype train! I'm already mostly aboard anyway.

• Fire 1
40 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it's being blown out of proportion a little bit anyway, he didn't claim he'd be immediately better than Allen. And he has more physical talent, so he should be down the road. But I also think even though he said "at one point," he does actually believe that will be next year - and that I love. Will he be better than Allen right away, probably not. Allen has been really really good, like you said. But we need guys who are trying to pass other guys, not just waiting their turn. He's probably not passing Allen and Vokolek right away, but he's much more athletic so I could see him being used as the #2 even if he's really the #3.

That's pretty high for low expectations, our starting TE has only hit that mark 3 times in the last decade. Kyler Reed had 395 in 2010 and 357 in 2012, and Tyler Hoppes had 377 in 2017. Allen is technically on pace for ~360 if we assumed 12 games for this year. But if Fidone gets 350 as a true freshman probably not even starting, I will be all aboard the hype train! I'm already mostly aboard anyway.

I think we completely agree on this subject and my statement was more of there is talent and the room and bring on the competition. We need that competitive drive.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I agree with you completely and you put it better than I did. 350 yards would be an incredible year and mean that he's every bit the 5 Star that we want him to be. But my expectations are a lot lower, that he plays some slot and catches some first downs that get us excited for his future. I mean, Kyle Pitts only caught three balls during his Freshman year coming into a situation at Florida that is similar to ours next year.

• Mavric changed the title to TE Thomas Fidone
  • 2 weeks later...