Q'Anon

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

This looks like a pretty solid stance on "in my experience"

I guess I operate on the assumption that people post based in their own experiences and opinions. That is my opinion. Sorry if it's too absolute for your taste or if it offended you. But that will remain my opinion until I see otherwise.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-23/trump-banks-on-convention-surprises-to-dazzle-party-into-unity

Most recently, the president embraced adherents of the QAnon conspiracy theory, which posits -- without any basis in reality -- that Trump is secretly fighting a powerful cabal of Satan-worshiping Democratic pedophiles.

During a White House news conference on Wednesday, Trump said QAnon believers are people who “like me very much.” He also called a QAnon adherent who won a House primary in Georgia as a rising GOP star.

“This is just another example in a long effort of him reaching out to these groups for his own political benefit,” said Joseph Uscinski, a University of Miami political science professor who studies conspiracy theories. “He has no incentive to work against conspiracy theories. He uses them, he weaponizes them. This is his calling card.”

Yet Trump’s embrace of the movement angered some Republicans ahead of a convention intended to promote party unity.

“QAnon is nuts -- and real leaders call conspiracy theories conspiracy theories,” said Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse.

“If Democrats take the Senate,” he added, “garbage like this will be a big part of why they won.”

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Sometimes Ben Sasse says some really good things.  I wish he’d be more vocal about it in Nebraska.  It just seems to me, that he says these things to media outlets that Trump followers don’t read or watch.  He does a deliberate job of saying the truth In a way that won’t effect him politically.

Q'anon  being denounced as a political cult by faith leaders.    This makes sense  - it plays into the Cult of Trump.  However, I wish those same leaders would also denounce Trump as being antithetical to Christian practice as well.

https://www.christianpost.com/news/evangelical-leaders-denounce-qanon-as-political-cult-satanic-movement.html

Note the bold below and how out of touch Trump is on the subject.  As long as Q'Anon likes him all is good, even though his FBI labeled them as as a domestic terror threat.   So, if ISIS said they admired trump, then all would be ok regardless of the reality.  And  we see GOP Q'anon people winning congressional races - and trump is happy. 

Some Christian leaders, including a couple of prominent conservative evangelicals, have denounced the conspiracy theory movement gaining traction in conservative circles known as QAnon.

Created by an anonymous online figure in 2017, QAnon claims that President Donald Trump is in a war with a “Deep State” government, battling entities like elitist pedophile rings and satanism.

The conspiracy alleges that a Satan-worshipping "deep state" faction that includes A-list celebrities is working to defeat Trump and engage in child sex abuse. 

Since its launching, the QAnon conspiracy theories have reportedly garnered growing support among some evangelical churchgoers and other mostly conservative communities. It has also gained notable supporters such as a Georgia congressional candidate and a U.S. Senate candidate in Oregon

QAnon has gotten enough traction to be addressed by Vice President Mike Pence in an interview on CBS' “CBS This Morning.”

In the interview last Friday, Pence said he does not “know anything about QAnon.”

“And I dismiss it out of hand,” Pence added, decrying the fact that he had to spend time “on a major network to talk about some conspiracy online theory.”

The theory has garnered criticism from multiple Christian leaders, including Southern Baptist Theological Seminary President Albert Mohler Jr.

On an episode of his podcast, “The Briefing,” posted online on Monday, Mohler compared QAnon and conspiracy theories in general to the early church heresy of Gnosticism.

“Gnosticism is the belief that only a few, an elite, a privileged few are able to see, have inside information,” explained Mohler. “The ancient Gnostics believed in one way or another that this particular secret knowledge was the key to salvation or illumination, or whatever would be the promise of this particular information.”

“Christianity has nothing to do with the secret truth. It has everything to do with a public Gospel,” the theologian added. “Christians don't have secret beliefs we hide from the world. We're not saved because we have come to some secret knowledge.”

Tyler Huckabee, senior editor at Relevant Magazine, a Christian lifestyle bimonthly, wrote in a piece published earlier this month that QAnon’s claims are “farfetched” and fueled by “confirmation bias.”

Huckabee also considered QAnon “a logical extension of the culture war, providing real plot and vocabulary to the ‘us vs. them’ model that became popular with the rise of the Moral Majority.”

“There are no easy answers about what can be done about QAnon,” he wrote. “But the fact that Christians seem extra open to conspiracies does reveal that something is deeply broken in how people of faith are spreading their worldview.”

“When Christianity is set up as a cultural battle instead of an opportunity to serve, others are seen not as people in need of love but enemies who need to be feared and mistrusted,” Huckabee continued. 

Author and pastor Joe Carter denounced QAnon in a column published by The Gospel Coalition in May. 

Carter, the executive pastor at the McLean Bible Church Arlington campus in Virginia, labeled QAnon a “political cult” and “satanic movement” that “poses [a threat] to the global church.”

“The QAnon movement frequently engages in slander, which James calls demonic behavior (James 3:15–16). The QAnon movement often traffics in lies, which Jesus says are associated with Satan. The QAnon movement repeatedly sides with demonically inspired falsehoods that divide professed Christians from faithful believers,” wrote Carter.

“And the QAnon movement has a tendency to call evil that which is good, and good that which is evil, and to put darkness for light, and light for darkness (Isa. 5:20). As movement of Satan, QAnon is incompatible with Christianity.”

Carter called on Christians to “work to guard those who would fall for such deceptions” and to “plead” with QAnon supporters within the church “to return to the faith.”

“It is neither too early nor too late for Christians to launch a counterattack on the demonic influence of QAnon,” he concluded.

Last week, President Trump said that he does not know much about the QAnon conspiracy theory but understands that its supporters like him and "love America."

While the FBI labeled QAnon a domestic terror threat last year, the Department of Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad Wolf said in an interview this week that QAnon is not a "significant threat." But he stressed that he doesn't have any reason to disagree with the FBI's assessment.  

We have a president who traffics in conspiracy theories

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trumps-plane-loaded-with-thugs-rumor-matches-months-old-conspiracy-theory/ar-BB18AxUI?ocid=ientp

The conspiracy theory that President Donald Trump pushed on Monday that a plane “almost completely loaded with thugs” was set to disrupt protests was almost identical to a rumor that went viral on Facebook three months ago.

In an interview with Fox News host Laura Ingraham, Trump claimed that “we had somebody get on a plane from a certain city this weekend, and in the plane it was almost completely loaded with thugs, wearing these dark uniforms, black uniforms, with gear and this and that.”

He then claimed the matter was “under investigation right now.”

There is no evidence of any such plane flight. When Ingraham asked for more information about the flight, the president said, "I'll tell you sometime."

Before mentioning the dark uniformed men who allegedly boarded a plane, Trump claimed that there are “people that are in the dark shadows” and “people that you haven’t heard of” controlling Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

Ingraham pressed the president for more details and said it sounded like he was alleging a conspiracy.

“They’re people that are on the streets. They’re people that are controlling the streets,” Trump said.

The claim about a plane flight matches a viral Facebook post from June 1 that falsely claimed, “At least a dozen males got off the plane in Boise from Seattle, dressed head to toe in black.” The post, by an Emmett, Idaho man, warned residents to “Be ready for attacks downtown and residential areas,” and claimed one passenger had “a tattoo that said Antifa America on his arm.”

That post was shared over 3,000 times on Facebook, but other pages from Idaho quickly added their own spin to it, like the Idaho branch of the far-right militia group 3 Percenters

• Plus1 1

Good article on evangelicals who are battling the Q conspiracy.    

The first few paragraphs are copied below.

https://dnyuz.com/2020/09/17/the-evangelicals-who-are-taking-on-qanon/

Related link wt a warning about the conspiracy theories associated with it:

https://www.brnow.org/opinions/editorial/q-anon-the-rise-of-restless-evil/

Last month, Seth Brown, the executive editor of the Biblical Recorder, a Southern Baptist newspaper in Cary, N.C., delivered a stark warning to Christians. He had become increasingly concerned about the posts some of his fellow Southern Baptists were sharing on Facebook. “If you start clicking through, it doesn’t take long to find out some of this is coming from accounts that are QAnon,” Mr. Brown told me, referring to the viral conspiracy theory that claims a cabal of left-wing, satanic pedophiles is secretly plotting a coup against President Trump.

Mr. Brown, an evangelical who has served as a volunteer pastor himself, knows all too well that pastors have little time to tumble into an online labyrinth of convoluted Q theories. So he wrote an explainer on QAnon’s ever-evolving machinations, cautioning readers that as Christians, they must “reject the movement’s fanatical and dangerous messages.”

Some of QAnon’s dizzying pileup of false claims — that the Covid-19 pandemic is overstated or even nonexistent, for example — have been embraced by Trump fans, Republican congressional candidates and the president himself. Mr. Brown and others say they are proliferating in white evangelical circles, even as many of the people sharing the content may have never even heard of QAnon.

Warren Throckmorton, an evangelical who is a psychology professor at Grove City College in Pennsylvania, says the Q-adjacent claims he has seen on social media relate broadly to the notion that the president “is being unfairly maligned.” Evangelicals are drawn to these posts, Dr. Throckmorton added, because they reinforce their belief that Mr. Trump is under attack. “It’s a way of trying to justify their support for the president,” he said. “Anything that makes Donald Trump look honest or compassionate or good, they’ll spread, without checking out where it comes from, who posted it, who the source is.”

QAnon began with an October 2017 post on the far-right message board 4chan, thought to be the first time the anonymous poster “Q” issued a conspiratorial missive, known as a “drop,” to the world. The Atlantic’s Adrienne LaFrance, who wrote a definitive investigation of QAnon, told NPR, “I never got to the point where I was confident enough in Q’s identity to say with certainty who it is.”

But one thing we can say about Q is that he, she or they are highly unoriginal, mining conspiracy theories as ancient as the anti-Semitic blood libel. If you’ve been around the corners of evangelical America as I have, it’s apparent that Q is at least a student of, and perhaps an adherent of, the conspiracies that have long permeated conservative evangelical culture.

Many QAnon posts and merchandise feature a Bible verse that is popular among white evangelicals, 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

In the evangelical world, this verse means that God will heal America of abortion and human trafficking, which is often described as “modern-day slavery.” In the QAnon world, it means God will free America of the satanic denizens of the “deep state” who are running a global child sex trafficking ring. In both worlds, Mr. Trump is under siege. And online, the two worlds are converging.

• Plus1 1