S Koby Bretz

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

15 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bretz commit?

• Nebraska
    • Kansas State
    • Minnesota

This poll is closed to new votes

Read on one of the recruiting sites he had some work to do in the classroom and that is part of the reason his offer list isn't that impressive.

I like the get. We needed a shot of momentum right now and this is the type of size-speed under-the-radar kid that the program has historically thrived on coaching up.

If we can't coach kids like Bretz up into solid contributors anymore, we will never get where we want as a program, period, IMO. It's exceedingly clear we're never going to rake in top-tier talent seamlessly year over year.

• Plus1 2

35 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't think he'll be playing safety.  We're about to have an OLB flipped and don't have many prospects there left with no visits happening. .  I expect Koby to slot at OLB.

Perhaps!  You may be right but I think they will put him at safety to start with and they can move him up a level if needed just like Luke Gifford or Wright which someone else has mentioned.    We only have 12 DB's if you count the incoming recruits and discount the 3 Sr's,  so we need the numbers there.  Koby would make 13 which is still less than optimum.  Really should have around 15.   I think the OLB room is in a little better shape as far as numbers.

I do think he is best at run support vs coverage which would tend more towards OLB but he also would need to size up    I think he would do fine in zone coverages and playing center field so that's why I think they start him at safety.    Either way I am glad he is on board.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Read on one of the recruiting sites he had some work to do in the classroom and that is part of the reason his offer list isn't that impressive.

I like the get. We needed a shot of momentum right now and this is the type of size-speed under-the-radar kid that the program has historically thrived on coaching up.

If we can't coach kids like Bretz up into solid contributors anymore, we will never get where we want as a program, period, IMO. It's exceedingly clear we're never going to rake in top-tier talent seamlessly year over year.

I happen to feel our Frost recruiting has been pretty good overall - better than the past decade certainly as a whole.  We are focused on players that seem to bring better athleticism for their respective positions.  It is still too early to tell for sure as the great majority of Frost recruits are just beginning to find their places in the depth charts and playing real roles etc.  I was looking forward to seeing how 2021 team speed and aggressiveness and effort would make the product more competitive.    Has recruiting been light years better?  Maybe not but I see more capability / potential in the roster than in a long time.  Are there weaker areas ?  Yup - D line and O line and TE have yet to show but there are some guys with the ability and physicality to be better than average Big Ten prospects.  

Lets give the current staff time to coach, the S&C time to develop the power, the team to come together and become Huskers!   

The Big Ten - prior to the cancellation this fall - was on the rise.  This has raised the bar as much as NU has so the relative progress may be harder to fairly judge 

Keep the faith fans!   Big Red is rebuilding.  We are just at the stage where the detail work makes it seem ‘slow’ - like building a new house - there are stages.  Frost has a big job and there have been plenty of extra hurdles to overcome but it is happening.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

*Crosses fingers, please turn into Matt O'Hanlon*

Matty O is the first guy I thought of us well.

Presumably this guy may have a bit more athletic upside than O"Hanlon as well given he got a scholly. But that could just be a factor of a weird recruiting cycle and not indicative of talent as well.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Matty O is the first guy I thought of us well.

Presumably this guy may have a bit more athletic upside than O"Hanlon as well given he got a scholly. But that could just be a factor of a weird recruiting cycle and not indicative of talent as well.

Agreed, I don't mean the O'Hanlon comp to be a slight at all.  Matty O absolutely balled out his Sr. year (day dreams about that Oklahoma game...) and I think we'd be tickled if Bretz has that level of success.

28 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Agreed, I don't mean the O'Hanlon comp to be a slight at all.  Matty O absolutely balled out his Sr. year (day dreams about that Oklahoma game...) and I think we'd be tickled if Bretz has that level of success.

And I didn't take it as one. I forgot how magical O'Hanlon played in that OU game, sealing the deal on that final pick. Gives me chills thinking back.

He definitely set the bar for performance on the field very high and ultimately that's what matters. Bretz has big shoes to fill if we're comparing the two. I just hope that the fact they offered him rather than trying to get him to walk-on means they are high on his frame, athletic ability and potential.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What about all the teams that recruit poorly and have little success? 

With Nebraska's track record of developing and sending players to the NFL, is Nebraska similar to Iowa or Wisconsin? No.

Is Nebraska similar to NC State, Arizona, Wake Forest, Kansas State, Boston College, Indiana, Arizona State, Texas Tech, Vanderbilt, Colorado, Purdue or a plethora of other teams? Yes.

All we can hope for is the poor recruiting this year is because of COVID and not because of something else.

My point was IA and WI are successful for more important reasons other than recruiting.  I’m not equating us to either program. In fact our culture and development have been quite the opposite.   If at this point in time we’re worried about having a top 40 class vs a top 20 class, then I hope we are under the assumption that the coaching and culture are close to being where we need them to be and are headed in the right direction.   If we don’t make that assumption, then we haven’t been paying attention the past 20 years.  Riley and Callahan recruited top 20.   How did  that work out?

15 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

My point was IA and WI are successful for more important reasons other than recruiting.  I’m not equating us to either program. In fact our culture and development have been quite the opposite.   If at this point in time we’re worried about having a top 40 class vs a top 20 class, then I hope we are under the assumption that the coaching and culture are close to being where we need them to be and are headed in the right direction.   If we don’t make that assumption, then we haven’t been paying attention the past 20 years.  Riley and Callahan recruited top 20.   How did  that work out?

They really didn't though. Riley was in the same 20-30 range (never broke top 20, at least according to 247) and outside of 2005 Callahan was in the same range. He was always buoyed by large class numbers anyway - signing 30 players is great for the rankings, but you know they aren't all going to contribute so it's a little empty.

I agree the coaching and development are bigger pieces of what we we've been missing, but I don't buy that we've recruited consistently at a high level under anyone in the past 20 years. And I do think we need to be worried about 40th versus 20th - I'm not losing sleep if our class is 23rd or anything, but 40th is bad and at that point recruiting would be a bigger concern to me than coaching or culture. 

In any case, I'm always excited to see a good in state athlete commit!

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

They really didn't though. Riley was in the same 20-30 range (never broke top 20, at least according to 247) and outside of 2005 Callahan was in the same range. He was always buoyed by large class numbers anyway - signing 30 players is great for the rankings, but you know they aren't all going to contribute so it's a little empty.

I agree the coaching and development are bigger pieces of what we we've been missing, but I don't buy that we've recruited consistently at a high level under anyone in the past 20 years. And I do think we need to be worried about 40th versus 20th - I'm not losing sleep if our class is 23rd or anything, but 40th is bad and at that point recruiting would be a bigger concern to me than coaching or culture. 

In any case, I'm always excited to see a good in state athlete commit!

I dont necessarily view a Frost class ranked #25 the same as a #25 Riley class because I put more value in the RBs, LBs, Secondary, lines, TEs etc and less in the WRs and Qbs which Riley seemed to score higher in his classes. 

Frost has better RBs, O linemen, LBs, safeties and corners especially.  I see more toughness and athletic hitters so I will take Frost guys, rated as a group, over Riley.  Bo got some good players in these spots but fell short in some spots.   Bo put some good guys on ghe field, but not enough really.  Frost is finding bodies enough to build a two deep so I want to see if he has a top twenty caliber squad. Young, physical, aggressive, tough, and mentally focused.  We may not be 4-5 star studded but I see a bunch of 3.5 - 4 star studs.   

• Mavric changed the title to S Koby Bretz