S Koby Bretz

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

15 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bretz commit?

• Nebraska
    • Kansas State
    • Minnesota

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

Benning after a big Bretz catch in the state title- "He's a Sunday guy."

Not to nitpick, but "Sunday talent" is what he said.  Which I would agree with.   Who knows about being a Sunday guy.  That's what college is for.   But anyhow, yes Bretz is very talented.  

10 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Why is Dickerson rated much higher? It seems this kid makes more plays. Better size 

My first blush guess is camp exposure and measurables?  Plus Dickerson plays a more..glamorous(?) position.  I ended up watching about a quarter of the game last night, Westside is a really, really, really good team.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:18 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

Why is Dickerson rated much higher? It seems this kid makes more plays. Better size 

I posted this before, but I think that Bretz a better high school football player than Dickerson but that's because his skill set is better suited for the high school game. Dickerson's much more athletic, better as in coverage, and has better ball skills. Bretz's ability and willingness to stop the run is very impressive and has more of an effect on the outcome of games in Nebraska high schools. His highlight at 23 seconds is as great of a play as you will ever see from a defensive back. Plus the ability to play safety over the top means that you can come forward to make plays on the ball from inaccurate high school quarterbacks trying to make plays downfield.

Basically, in college Dickerson has to get a bigger to be physical enough to take on college players. Bretz needs to get a little bigger to be effective against college running backs and a bit faster to stay on top of college receivers. This isn't a criticism of Bretz, who I think is very, very good and will be a multiyear starter at Nebraska. He just has more work to put in to be an impact player at the next level because of the responsibilities he'll be asked to take on. He looks like an Eric Hagg clone.

• Plus1 1
On 11/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, The_Fan_Man said:

Dickerson's much more athletic, better as in coverage, and has better ball skills.

Uh.  You're free to your opinion, but I beg to differ on all three.  And I've been watching them in person the past 3 seasons.  Maybe you have too.  I don't know.  But I had to call out this sentence.  Most everything else, I agree with.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:45 AM, The_Fan_Man said:

Basically, in college Dickerson has to get a bigger to be physical enough to take on college players.

This IS true of Dickerson.  The problem is the he's essentially the same size he was as a sophomore.  This year, I will say that he played with much more physicality than in he did in years past.  

On 11/27/2020 at 6:06 PM, Decoy73 said:

Uh.  You're free to your opinion, but I beg to differ on all three.  And I've been watching them in person the past 3 seasons.  Maybe you have too.  I don't know.  But I had to call out this sentence.  Most everything else, I agree with.

My thought is a guy that can defend the pass backpedaling is more rare in high school than a guy that plays the pass in front of him. Dickerson's change of direction and explosiveness is different. I watched him break up passes in press coverage, playing off and against every route there is.

As a Westside guy, I'm rooting for both to succeed (and also a late offer to Payton). Bretz is already very good and is just going to keep getting better like he did every year in high school as he fills out his frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to S Koby Bretz