Eight Husker Football Players Sue the Big Ten

knapplc

1 hour ago, flatwaterfan said:

Fine cancel the B1G games but why cancel non-conference games then?  What do the networks say about this loss of content?

I don’t know if it was chance or part of the plot, but the BIG canceled non conference first. So when we went along with that we were pigeon holed into conference or nothing. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Big Ten didn’t have TV control over the big non-conference games this year. Most of those big non-conference games had Big Ten teams as visitors, so the other conference had the TV rights/contract to that game. 

Are you sure your school own it's own home non-cons?  Almost all of them seem to be on ESPN or the BTN.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Are you sure your school own it's own home non-cons?  Almost all of them seem to be on ESPN or the BTN.

The schools don't have the ownership, but for most of the big games this year the Big Ten schools were the away teams.  Those TV rights belong to that other conference.  Therefore the conference didn't have a lot to lose when the Big Ten decided to cancel non-conference games.

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eg2kzgBWkAYUGoy?format=jpg&name=small

Personally, I like the fact that the players and attorney are continuing the push. Add in more political pressure today from the President and it's creating quite a cloud that I'm sure the Big Ten office would be happy to get rid of by now. Only solidifying how impressive DONU's administration was by being honest and transparent from the beginning.

@Mavric, at this point do you see the pressure as helpful to the cause or are we basically stuck until at least after Nov. 4th before the team plays again? 

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eg2kzgBWkAYUGoy?format=jpg&name=small

Strongly worded letters are flying in all directions!  Look out, they might cause a paper cut!  Nothing will come of this.  Only more angst between the B1G HQ and Nebraska.  Which will result in continued difficult scheduling directed at the Huskers and burying us their broadcasts on the network.  We might be approaching the same level of hate that we received from Dallas while in the Big 12.  Maybe years down the road, we will eventually just say F*** it and go independent and announce a tv deal with Fox sports.  We have the money and fan support to get it done across the nation.  Will we lose money and a few sports like darts and soccer?  Yep.  Will that affect the product we put on the football field and the number of fan butts in the seats?  Nope. 

6 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Personally, I like the fact that the players and attorney are continuing the push. Add in more political pressure today from the President and it's creating quite a cloud that I'm sure the Big Ten office would be happy to get rid of by now. Only solidifying how impressive DONU's administration was by being honest and transparent from the beginning.

@Mavric, at this point do you see the pressure as helpful to the cause or are we basically stuck until at least after Nov. 4th before the team plays again? 

No, the B1G are digging in with their comment that this lawsuit is a "fishing expedition".  They will not about face now and look even more foolish. With each public attack from Nebraska to the B1G HQ, the harder the road ahead becomes for Nebraska in the conference (scheduling which is already sh*t, network coverage which is already in the cellar, etc.).  I would say as it stands now, we have the same level of love from the B1G HQ that we had with the Big 12 HQ in our final days in that conference.  I see our long-term future in the conference in jeopardy to be honest at this point. 

If the B1G keeps Warren and they crap the bed again with the new TV contract renewals coming up resulting in us making less than all of the teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12, we should go independent IMO...damned the costs. 

• We have the money to build the new planned facilities several times over in savings as it stands right now.  Going from 50 million a year to 15-20 million a year will not affect the product Frost puts on the field one bit.  Texas by far brings in more money than any other team in the FBS and when was the last time they won a conference championship let alone a NC?
  • We will have to cut other sports that spend more than they make like soccer, swimming, quidditch, golf, rifle, etc. and few will notice or care.  This is why you have University Clubs.
  • We will easily gain 3+ wins every football season (guaranteed bowl games every year forever) and TONS of wins in basketball by making our own schedule.  Imagine a world where we do not play Ohio State every single damned year!  
  • I have heard people say we would no longer be relevant if we leave the B1G, yet we are some how relevant right now in the B1G basement?  We cannot even beat Purdue for crying out loud.  This season, that game still looked to be a struggle...
  • If Texas can make their own network, so can we.  NET in Lincoln would be a good starting point.  They already have Husker football shows and televise most volleyball games and other sports for all of Nebraska.  The rest of the nation could get our games via an exclusive deal with Fox Sports and pay-per view.
  • Build a Hockey arena next to Pinnacle Bank Arena would be another cash cow to make up the lost money (can share the stars arena until this arena is built...they need the money).  Men's Hockey is fun to watch and fans could get behind the tackling on ice sport.  We already have a practice facility for hockey with the Husker mens Hockey club.
  • Could schedule in yearly local rivalries!  Wyoming, Kansas teams, Colorado teams etc.  Would love to play Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State again in football...easy on the fanbase to travel to as well! 

husker sports.png

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The schools don't have the ownership, but for most of the big games this year the Big Ten schools were the away teams.  Those TV rights belong to that other conference.  Therefore the conference didn't have a lot to lose when the Big Ten decided to cancel non-conference games.

True our game vs Wisconsin at Lambeau was actually an ND home game for NBC.  I suppose there is no contractual penalty if the game can be rescheduled. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Bledred said:

No, the B1G are digging in with their comment that this lawsuit is a "fishing expedition".  They will not about face now and look even more foolish. With each public attack from Nebraska to the B1G HQ, the harder the road ahead becomes for Nebraska in the conference (scheduling which is already sh*t, network coverage which is already in the cellar, etc.).  I would say as it stands now, we have the same level of love from the B1G HQ that we had with the Big 12 HQ in our final days in that conference.  I see our long-term future in the conference in jeopardy to be honest at this point. 

If the B1G keeps Warren and they crap the bed again with the new TV contract renewals coming up resulting in us making less than all of the teams in the SEC, ACC, and Big 12, we should go independent IMO...damned the costs. 

• We have the money to build the new planned facilities several times over in savings as it stands right now.  Going from 50 million a year to 15-20 million a year will not affect the product Frost puts on the field one bit.  Texas by far brings in more money than any other team in the FBS and when was the last time they won a conference championship let alone a NC?
  • We will have to cut other sports that spend more than they make like soccer, swimming, quidditch, golf, rifle, etc. and few will notice or care.  This is why you have University Clubs.
  • We will easily gain 3+ wins every football season (guaranteed bowl games every year forever) and TONS of wins in basketball by making our own schedule.  Imagine a world where we do not play Ohio State every single damned year!  
  • I have heard people say we would no longer be relevant if we leave the B1G, yet we are some how relevant right now in the B1G basement?  We cannot even beat Purdue for crying out loud.  This season, that game still looked to be a struggle...
  • If Texas can make their own network, so can we.  NET in Lincoln would be a good starting point.  They already have Husker football shows and televise most volleyball games and other sports for all of Nebraska.  The rest of the nation could get our games via an exclusive deal with Fox Sports and pay-per view.
  • Build a Hockey arena next to Pinnacle Bank Arena would be another cash cow to make up the lost money (can share the stars arena until this arena is built...they need the money).  Men's Hockey is fun to watch and fans could get behind the tackling on ice sport.  We already have a practice facility for hockey with the Husker mens Hockey club.
  • Could schedule in yearly local rivalries!  Wyoming, Kansas teams, Colorado teams etc.  Would love to play Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State again in football...easy on the fanbase to travel to as well! 

I appreciate the analysis! 

Agree on these points

A. Yes, all universities should reconsider several programs to move to University Club status. Sure money shouldn't rule everything but having some of these sports just to be Title IX compliant is going to help in the downfall of the NCAA. < whole different discussion.

B. Got to remember that the lawsuit comes from a handful of players and not the university or coaches. 

C. Having the autonomy to schedule a season ourselves would be very beneficial. I do wish the conference would allow the schools to decide for themselves and just keep all games on BTN-affiliated channels so that all the schools can gain the revenue share. 

Disagree on these points

A. Our schedule has already been set as tough so nothing new. TV coverage will improve as we win, the conference doesn't really decide that as much as the TV network does. 

B. Our own TV network is great in-state and regionally but as we recruit nationally, we need to have the Big Ten Network to keep our brand in front of as many eyeballs as possible. Few non-Husker fans will pay-per-view to watch our games. Losing deal. 

C. Hockey isn't as profitable and I don't see the regents being in a rush to put the clamps on UNO's program by putting a competing program 45 minutes away. 

D. It does have an icy feeling between the program and the conference offices like 2010. One difference is that the Big Ten is 1,000x more sturdy in the big picture than the Big 12 was ten years ago. Also notable is that the conference juggernaut has a large majority in support of our program and agreeing with our cause. The Big Ten doesn't seem to be as controlled by one particular school but feels more democratic as a majority rule vibe.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agree on these points

A. Yes, all universities should reconsider several programs to move to University Club status. Sure money shouldn't rule everything but having some of these sports just to be Title IX compliant is going to help in the downfall of the NCAA. < whole different discussion.

B. Got to remember that the lawsuit comes from a handful of players and not the university or coaches. 

C. Having the autonomy to schedule a season ourselves would be very beneficial. I do wish the conference would allow the schools to decide for themselves and just keep all games on BTN-affiliated channels so that all the schools can gain the revenue share. 

Disagree on these points

A. Our schedule has already been set as tough so nothing new. TV coverage will improve as we win, the conference doesn't really decide that as much as the TV network does. 

B. Our own TV network is great in-state and regionally but as we recruit nationally, we need to have the Big Ten Network to keep our brand in front of as many eyeballs as possible. Few non-Husker fans will pay-per-view to watch our games. Losing deal. 

C. Hockey isn't as profitable and I don't see the regents being in a rush to put the clamps on UNO's program by putting a competing program 45 minutes away. 

D. It does have an icy feeling between the program and the conference offices like 2010. One difference is that the Big Ten is 1,000x more sturdy in the big picture than the Big 12 was ten years ago. Also notable is that the conference juggernaut has a large majority in support of our program and agreeing with our cause. The Big Ten doesn't seem to be as controlled by one particular school but feels more democratic as a majority rule vibe.

All solid counterpoints.  I know the odds of us going independent are about even with me winning the lottery, but I guess I am just more pissed than anything that our season can be taken away so easily.  The schools who voted no (Nebraska, OSU, and Iowa) should be allowed by the B1G to pursue alternative non-conference games this fall under certain guidelines.  Feels like not only was our season taken away from us, but our freedom as an autonomous organization as well. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Bledred said:

All solid counterpoints.  I know the odds of us going independent are about even with me winning the lottery, but I guess I am just more pissed than anything that our season can be taken away so easily.  The schools who voted no (Nebraska, OSU, and Iowa) should be allowed by the B1G to pursue alternative non-conference games this fall under certain guidelines.  Feels like not only was our season taken away from us, but our freedom as an autonomous organization as well. 

I agreed 100%. Call it scrimmages, practice or intramurals or whatever their hearts desire. If I were the Big Ten Network I would be especially pissed. Having the ACC & SEC carry on and Iowa State allowing 25k fans makes the Big Ten decision more baffling. Truth be told, they could play in empty stadiums and just put the games on TV and it'll draw millions to watch. Stopping play in the name of safety just doesn't seem justified with +30,000 kids on their campuses already.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agree on these points

Disagree on these points

I’m angry just like you are. However the money and stability of the big10 along with what it does for the university with academics and research just makes it too much to walk away from. Plus our lack of recent success lessens our appeal as an independent. Won’t happen.

Even with its warts the big is where we need to be. The only issue is getting the inept warren out and putting someone like Delaney in his spot. That is going to nearly an impossible task in today’s climate. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
40 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’m angry just like you are. However the money and stability of the big10 along with what it does for the university with academics and research just makes it too much to walk away from. Plus our lack of recent success lessens our appeal as an independent. Won’t happen.

Even with its warts the big is where we need to be. The only issue is getting the inept warren out and putting someone like Delaney in his spot. That is going to nearly an impossible task in today’s climate. 

I don't recall suggesting walking away from the Big Ten at any point. Nor did any Nebraska official discuss leaving. That was all media rumor and speculation looking for stories to fill their story quotas. We aren't going anywhere.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agree on these points

It's pretty hard to schedule as an independent in the ESPN8 age.  The given reasons for our ACC deal:  everyone in November is locked up in conference play, very few bowls have room for an independent. 

• Plus1 1