Eight Husker Football Players Sue the Big Ten

knapplc

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It's pretty hard to schedule as an independent in the ESPN8 age.  The given reasons for our ACC deal:  everyone in November is locked up in conference play, very few bowls have room for an independent. 

Definitely agreed. However, the alternative is to sit on the sidelines while the ACC & SEC play this fall. If the Big Ten would allow the teams a one year exemption to schedule for themselves, I think a lot of frustrations go away. Then get back to a normal fall next year. 

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Starting to see where the "incredible harm" may come into play.

I hope something like this did not happen as the members of the Big Ten Board are supposed to be highly intelligent, well educated and surely very experienced people.  Without looking them all up, it would not surprise to find a majority are PhDs and some are attorneys themselves.  I cant imagine the Board is not attended by one or more active “house council” attorneys at every meeting.  Special K is an attorney as well.  

This was the single biggest ‘vote’ in Big Ten history certainly.  With billions of dollars and 70% of the combined revenues of all 14 schools being killed summarily.  Thousands of jobs, thousands of athletes, contracts with opponents in and out of the league across multiple sports, vendors, staff,  coaches, TV networks, bowl sponsors, media, apparel companies, etc etc.  This is a massive mess if the Big Ten did all this without the basic common sense and logic to follow elementary laws and rules with regard to meetings and process.  

The theory that maybe Board members failed to talk to their own school regents, attorneys, fiscal and medical and other advisors would explain some of this but it just seems unfathomable that such basic ignorance could be present.   

If this happened (I hope not), I would hate to be those members and or their legal advisers. A massive scandal would result and is potentially ruinous to the conference.  They better act fast and try to save as much of the conference obligations for fall sports as possible.  The breach of contract with athletes (all schools and sports) pales in comparison to millions to bowls, networks, and potentially all 14 schools.  I mentioned bankruptcy before.  It is possible.  

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I hope something like this did not happen as the members of the Big Ten Board are supposed to be highly intelligent, well educated and surely very experienced people.  Without looking them all up, it would not surprise to find a majority are PhDs and some are attorneys themselves.  I cant imagine the Board is not attended by one or more active “house council” attorneys at every meeting.  Special K is an attorney as well.  

This was the single biggest ‘vote’ in Big Ten history certainly.  With billions of dollars and 70% of the combined revenues of all 14 schools being killed summarily.  Thousands of jobs, thousands of athletes, contracts with opponents in and out of the league across multiple sports, vendors, staff,  coaches, TV networks, bowl sponsors, media, apparel companies, etc etc.  This is a massive mess if the Big Ten did all this without the basic common sense and logic to follow elementary laws and rules with regard to meetings and process.  

The theory that maybe Board members failed to talk to their own school regents, attorneys, fiscal and medical and other advisors would explain some of this but it just seems unfathomable that such basic ignorance could be present.   

If this happened (I hope not), I would hate to be those members and or their legal advisers. A massive scandal would result and is potentially ruinous to the conference.  They better act fast and try to save as much of the conference obligations for fall sports as possible.  The breach of contract with athletes (all schools and sports) pales in comparison to millions to bowls, networks, and potentially all 14 schools.  I mentioned bankruptcy before.  It is possible.  

I honestly think the B1G thought that every other conference would just follow suite and they wouldn't be scrutinized. Now that they are they are scrambling to cover things up. There is no other reason they would be so secretive unless something happened that shouldn't have.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I honestly think the B1G thought that every other conference would just follow suite and they wouldn't be scrutinized. Now that they are they are scrambling to cover things up. There is no other reason they would be so secretive unless something happened that shouldn't have.

The cover up may be as bad or worse (if possible) as the actions taken.  I hope they are not engaged in after the fact document fabrication, alteration, creative writing, etc.  There will be copies, whistleblowers, and investigations.  Investigations will find it out.  Too many conspirators or others with knowledge.  It sickens me to think this but certainly there is smoke where there ought not be any!  

On 9/4/2020 at 4:53 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

The cover up may be as bad or worse (if possible) as the actions taken.  I hope they are not engaged in after the fact document fabrication, alteration, creative writing, etc.  There will be copies, whistleblowers, and investigations.  Investigations will find it out.  Too many conspirators or others with knowledge.  It sickens me to think this but certainly there is smoke where there ought not be any!  

agree, tip of the iceberg is just surfacing at this very moment. would guess before, during and after will expose some high profile heads.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:54 PM, WyoHusker56 said:

Tom Mars seems to think the B1G's fall vote wasn't up to the league bylaws and the players lawsuit has them backed into a corner. 

If that is their angle. I assume they would push to have a re-vote that would require 9 votes to suspend the season since they are contesting it was not done correctly the first time? In lieu of the current situation where we need 9 votes to resume?

If the vote(s) by the Big Ten before an announcement were not valid, per the corp articles and or by laws and or public meetings laws, the conference has some real issues to deal with legally.  The contracts with non-conference opponents, TV networks, etc may remain outstanding.  Financial issues aplenty.  Defaults, bad faith, breach, liability for the same etc.  Big Ten may have issues in those cases anyway. 

These are questions that will be answered (maybe) if and when we all see what the Board did.  Hopefully for the sake of all concerned, these things did not happen.  But it is hard to explain why the conference is being so tight with information that should be readily available if nothing inappropriate occurred.   

Simply stalling for time won’t save then Big Ten from scandal.  In fact the damage done gets worse imo. Hoping the rest of collegiate sports fails will not fix the mess either.  

• Plus1 3