Rumors and news of a B1G football season

I don't want to sound like a complete jerk, but this is the topic I would like to follow.  Not everyone's opinion on testing or covid conspiracies.  I just want to know the latest on a possible start to the season.  Rumors or factual.  I have had to weave through about 3 or 4 different threads to find anything.  Mods I hope this is OK thanks!

I have seen possible October/Thanksgiving/Spring.  I think this could be an important week.

• Plus1 9

26 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I don't want to sound like a complete jerk, but this is the topic I would like to follow.  Not everyone's opinion on testing or covid conspiracies.  I just want to know the latest on a possible start to the season.  Rumors or factual.  I have had to weave through about 3 or 4 different threads to find anything.  Mods I hope this is OK thanks!

I have seen possible October/Thanksgiving/Spring.  I think this could be an important week.

It’s called a google search alert 

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Understand that, looking for discussion related to the topic, you know, what a discussion board is for?

I do!  And typically they delve off into loosely connected tangents... specially for this seeing how the reason there night not be football is because of COVID.

So, i wish you best of luck in your ambitions.  But seems like you're being a bit redundant and also eliminating the potential for a "discussion" board if all you're looking for is news updates without takes from others lol

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

You said rumor too, so this is a great spot for Sir Yacht!

I also agree that it'd be great if this thread could just stay about the potential season and not devolve into the nonsense in the other threads.

I hope this is true.  I really wonder what there is to gain by waiting to Thanksgiving - and playing into the coldest part of the year.  October 1st is less than 60 days prior and I doubt there is a dramatic change in the situation during that 60 days - no miracle cure (unless you follow Trump's concoction of 'remedies'  ).  Keep the football players in as much of a protected bubble as possible (as well as other Fall/winter sport athletes who are in high contact sports like basketball  or to a less extent volleyball where there is close contact).  If the B1G were to announce a Oct 3rd start, that would give the schools a month to prepare and allow for games to be played out over a 12 week period  ending Dec 18th. Which would also build in 2 bye weeks for a 10 game schedule. Forget having a B1G championship game - or make it an after Christmas "Bowl Game".  I think regular Bowl games may be doubtful this year. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I hope this is true.  I really wonder what there is to gain by waiting to Thanksgiving - and playing into the coldest part of the year.  October 1st is less than 60 days prior and I doubt there is a dramatic change in the situation during that 60 days - no miracle cure (unless you follow Trump's concoction of 'remedies'  ).  Keep the football players in as much of a protected bubble as possible (as well as other Fall/winter sport athletes who are in high contact sports like basketball  or to a less extent volleyball where there is close contact).  If the B1G were to announce a Oct 3rd start, that would give the schools a month to prepare and allow for games to be played out over a 12 week period  ending Dec 18th. Which would also build in 2 bye weeks for a 10 game schedule. Forget having a B1G championship game - or make it an after Christmas "Bowl Game".  I think regular Bowl games may be doubtful this year. 

I don't understand how waiting until Thanksgiving helps much vs October. Either it's safe enough to play or it isn't - 6 weeks isn't going to make much difference.

• Plus1 7

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think the only reason Thanksgiving is even being discussed is a 100% "save face" move by warren and the greater league.  He's pretty much been boxed into a corner now, specially after his stance of this not being revisited.

I can't think of any logical reasons why this is a "good idea" when all it really does it put players at risk and sounds like a scenario where they won't even have a playoff to play for...

I really hope there's science behind it but it just reeks of a pride protection stance.  

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of enjoying the tomato on the face moment for this league right now.  Even if the ultimate decision was the right one, they literally chose THE WORST path to get there.  After decades proclaiming how "unified" the Big10 is and how its the most stable league in the country they cant seem to get a simple PR announcement straight.  Everyone needs a little reality check every now and then and hope this brings down the smugness of this conference a bit

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think the only reason Thanksgiving is even being discussed is a 100% "save face" move by warren and the greater league.  He's pretty much been boxed into a corner now, specially after his stance of this not being revisited.

I can't think of any logical reasons why this is a "good idea" when all it really does it put players at risk and sounds like a scenario where they won't even have a playoff to play for...

I really hope there's science behind it but it just reeks of a pride protection stance.  

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of enjoying the tomato on the face moment for this league right now.  Even if the ultimate decision was the right one, they literally chose THE WORST path to get there.  After decades proclaiming how "unified" the Big10 is and how its the most stable league in the country they cant seem to get a simple PR announcement straight.  Everyone needs a little reality check every now and then and hope this brings down the smugness of this conference a bit

The only argument for starting post Thanksgiving is the main student body leaves so the campus is safer. That being said, you are likely still playing once students return for the second semester so it seems like a mute point. I agree it's a save face move that they are trying to find a way to justify. I knew when Warren said "this will not be revisited" it was going to come back and bite him. Ultimatums are never a good thing.

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I don't understand how waiting until Thanksgiving helps much vs October. Either it's safe enough to play or it isn't - 6 weeks isn't going to make much difference.

I agree. I think they could come out and say we are starting the season 10/3. We will monitor everything as it plays out the month of september and if need be we can push the schedule back. Then you give your member teams a chance to compete for the Natty and make money. Plus you are being prudent and safe watching for a month how the rest of the sports world is impacted. Win Win.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The only argument for starting post Thanksgiving is the main student body leaves so the campus is safer. That being said, you are likely still playing once students return for the second semester so it seems like a mute point. I agree it's a save face move that they are trying to find a way to justify. I knew when Warren said "this will not be revisited" it was going to come back and bite him. Ultimatums are never a good thing.

Are B1G schools even having the student body leave by Thanksgiving? I've heard some schools are planning that, but I haven't heard if B1G schools are in that group.

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. I think they could come out and say we are starting the season 10/3. We will monitor everything as it plays out the month of september and if need be we can push the schedule back. Then you give your member teams a chance to compete for the Natty and make money. Plus you are being prudent and safe watching for a month how the rest of the sports world is impacted. Win Win.

Or they could just not play. But Thanksgiving start doesn't make sense.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Are B1G schools even having the student body leave by Thanksgiving? I've heard some schools are planning that, but I haven't heard if B1G schools are in that group.

Yes, I believe most are planning on having fairly empty campuses from Thanksgiving until the 2nd or 3rd week in January. Nebraska is for sure in that group. Nothing in person after Thanksgiving.