Rumors and news of a B1G football season

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm just not stupid, and understand how these things work.

You did a great job listing the schools that voted no football with zero input from Mr Warrren - can you please list the individuals that are so stupid, since it seems to be the focus of your post.  You clearly must not know how it works since it is being handled completely different in late august then it was in early august.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Because he hadn't yet been told by the presidents & chancellors that they wouldn't condone a season. They pretty much screwed him there.

Does that then mean the guidelines they did announce publicly were not vetted with the presidents and chancellors prior?  Thought the whole reason of going conference only and 10 games was to space out the season, allow for game reschedules if flare ups occurred.  

None of us know the exact timeframe of how this went down but when you look at different possible explanations, the vast majority of them revolve around the concept of shaky communication and lack of unity.  

Perhaps what happened is a mix of what you're saying and a mix of just bad leadership.  I can see a scenario of schools pres/chancellors saying in mid august this isnt getting better, we need to pause and cant risk liability... If this is truly the case though, I find it hard to believe the same pres/chancellors are completely fine with warren taking the brunt here and being the fall guy.  doesnt seem like a good quality in leadership to me

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Because he hadn't yet been told by the presidents & chancellors that they wouldn't condone a season. They pretty much screwed him there.

Based on the B1G's bylaws the President's have to approve any schedule changes, so at that point they did condone a season and changed that a week later.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OR, he was doing his job getting the season ready, hoping for the best based on the idea that we'd have ramped the virus way down by kickoff, only to have the chancellors & presidents pull the rug out from under him after he'd made the big schedule announcement.

The guy who's planning on pulling the plug on the Big Ten season doesn't release the Big Ten schedule the week before. That's career suicide. 

He didn't make this decision. It was made for him, and he was told to go present it. 

I think the evidence is against you on that based on comments from multiple coaches - and mainly James Franklin and Ryan Day about how the majority of protocols, travel protocols, and planning hadn't been communicated from the league. A bit of revisionist history is present in your post. 

I agree, it was career suicide for the Big Ten to pull the plug when it did - and then for him to state that no games could be played by any of the member Universities. That position came directly from him. 

The only thing you are correct on is that he did not make the decision to cancel. But he was way more involved then you have articulated. 

• Plus1 7
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just because the Big Ten is an affiliation of athletics teams, that shouldn't stop them from realizing it's primarily an academic institution.  People tend to forget that in these discussions.

Athletic Directors are middle-management. They don't get to tell their superiors what to do. The chancellors & presidents made their decisions with not only their athletic teams in mind, but the student body as a whole, and their communities as well. They've made that pretty clear in their letters and legal responses.  

Athletics may be the most important thing to us, but it's only one piece of the puzzle they used to put together the picture here. And Warren, for all his siloing, could only inform them on the athletic side of the conversation. They considered many other things besides his input. 

True, these are schools. That said, the Big Ten Conference is based around Athletics. The Big Ten Alliance is based around the research and academic side of things. Do you believe Warren went to the school presidents asking for the postponement or was this spurred by the school presidents who asked Warren for his input? 

-- The feeling I have is that most believe it was the former with Warren recommending postponement without being prompted but without documented disclosures, it's all speculative.

I'm trying to think of an analogy and the quickest one I can come up with is in regards to a corporate situation. Let's say a Healthcare provider (ABC) generally works with a company's HR department for policy details, coverages, etc. All of a sudden, ABC skips up to the Executive level of the company and leaves HR out of a major decision. Wouldn't it be prudent for HR to be included in the discussion of major decisions since they have been involved in everything leading up to the decision? 

-- Sure Executives/school presidents have the ultimate decision but the poorly informed tend to make foolish or hasty decisions as we are finding out here.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Come on you have to think more of me than that?

This report was then sourced and backed up by SI, 247, ESPN, etc. Then McKewon quoted Moos talking about how AD's all voiced support for a season, but Warren didn't share that with the President's and left them out of the discussion.

There's legitimate information out there that he preferred spring and didn't advocate for fall at all.

Yes. Evidence he skewed the discussion to fit the result he wanted.  I think we know he is biased. But why? What did he gave to gain?  I have no idea, just discussing. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just because the Big Ten is an affiliation of athletics teams, that shouldn't stop them from realizing it's primarily an academic institution.  People tend to forget that in these discussions.

Athletic Directors are middle-management. They don't get to tell their superiors what to do. The chancellors & presidents made their decisions with not only their athletic teams in mind, but the student body as a whole, and their communities as well. They've made that pretty clear in their letters and legal responses.  

Athletics may be the most important thing to us, but it's only one piece of the puzzle they used to put together the picture here. And Warren, for all his siloing, could only inform them on the athletic side of the conversation. They considered many other things besides his input. 

Not if they decided to have students on campus.  That makes no sense.

Now, the Presidents that said "Only online learning, from home, not the dorms or greek houses, no in person classes, no sports, no nothing" now THOSE presidents were thinking of the student body as a whole.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Yes. Evidence he skewed the discussion to fit the result he wanted.  I think we know he is biased. But why? What did he gave to gain?  I have no idea, just discussing. 

Maybe gain favor of some school presidents who were privately pushing to cancel and be more like the Ivy League? Not really sure. 

I think they really are putting themselves in a bad spot for those TV negotiations coming up though. Going to be especially ugly if the ACC & SEC continue on. 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Not if they decided to have students on campus.  That makes no sense.

Now, the Presidents that said "Only online learning, from home, not the dorms or greek houses, no in person classes, no sports, no nothing" now THOSE presidents were thinking of the student body as a whole.

I'm not sure whether any of them have gone the full online route yet. I think many are waiting for the dorm deposits and tuition checks to clear before they flip things. Crazy, these school presidents couldn't have athletics but will welcome tens of thousands of students to live on their campuses in close proximity to one another. What a world.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I'm not sure whether any of them have gone the full online route yet. I think many are waiting for the dorm deposits and tuition checks to clear before they flip things. Crazy, these school presidents couldn't have athletics but will welcome tens of thousands of students to live on their campuses in close proximity to one another. What a world.

MSU went full remote before the semester started. Their president walked the walk. which I respect. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Well they knew what would happen.

Students would transfer to be at "real school" if they could and incoming freshmen would flood JC's for a year and pay a fraction of the tuition. 

I get it, if I was a president I would do that too.  

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

MSU went full remote before the semester started. Their president walked the walk. which I respect. 

Yeah, I thought that was the case too.  

I think they are the only one?

UNL was online for the first week.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Thank you, I hadn't read that before. U of M also taking that same approach or is their school president waiting for the checks to clear?

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Well they knew what would happen.

Students would transfer to be at "real school" if they could and incoming freshmen would flood JC's for a year and pay a fraction of the tuition. 

I get it, if I was a president I would do that too.  

Yeah, I thought that was the case too.  

I think they are the only one?

UNL was online for the first week.

Agreed, they should have had some foresight. I feel bad for the kids for what will amount to a wasted semester, maybe year while spending $10-20k

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Thank you, I hadn't read that before. U of M also taking that same approach or is their school president waiting for the checks to clear?

They're doing in person. I posted some quotes from their president yesterday. He voted against football, but when it came to classes he was full go. 

"I’d like to give the community the chance to actually figure out together, with us, how we can coexist with a disease that none of us welcomes, that’s a real problem for everybody."

He's been talking out of both sides of his mouth.

• Plus1 1