St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Westside

Gorillahawk

I just seen on twitter that on Oct. 16th Kansas High School St. Thomas Aquinas is playing Nebraska's Omaha Westside at Westside. I know nothing about Westside, but I do know that STA is a power here in Ks. They are loaded with talent year in and year out. Can any of you Nebraskans give some info on Westside and maybe your thoughts on the game if it is played?

• Plus1 1

Westside is ranked #1 in Class A at the moment, and has a lot of talented kids; CB/WR Avante Dickerson is a top 50 recruit in the nation and is going to Minnesota, while S/WR Koby Bretz is going to Nebraska and QB Cole Peyton is going to NDSU. They played in the state title game last year, but ran into a super talented Bellevue West team in a very snowy game. They're the early favorites to win the state title, particularly with the Omaha Public Schools teams not playing this season. 

6 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Westside is ranked #1 in Class A at the moment, and has a lot of talented kids; CB/WR Avante Dickerson is a top 50 recruit in the nation and is going to Minnesota, while S/WR Koby Bretz is going to Nebraska and QB Cole Peyton is going to NDSU. They played in the state title game last year, but ran into a super talented Bellevue West team in a very snowy game. They're the early favorites to win the state title, particularly with the Omaha Public Schools teams not playing this season. 

STA has a 4* RB and extremely talented offensive line. They are extremely run heavy and run a double wing. Defensively they are not as talented but they are far from void of talent. 

They play in the Eastern Kansas League which is fat and away the toughest league in KS with the Blue Valley Schools and Bishop Meige. Do you have any insight how schools in Omaha compare to these schools?

Westside is stacked this year. Brought a ton of key guys back from the runner-up last season. Prep wasn't supposed to be that good this year, but they are usually respectable at worst and they looked like a JV squad last week.

As for the leagues just from a really quick google it looks like KS and NE do things a little differently for organization at the HS level. Nebraska uses districts under the class system to make schedules, but the districts change every 2 years where it appears these Kansas leagues are stable. Apologies if I got that wrong about KS.

Westside is in a district this year with two of the historically weakest Class A football programs Benson and Bryan(both OPS I wonder if they got this game together after OPS canceled?). Grand Island and Norfolk are hit or miss, but usually not bad. Millard North rounds out the district and they are one of the most storied programs in the state.

Off topic, but the district assignments for 2020/2021 were really odd IMO. Don't make much sense travel-wise or with historic matchups.

The EKL conference would wipe the floor with the best Nebraska teams every season. Westside is a more even matchup but IMO..Aquinas will be ready. Westside has some good talent. Aquinas has sent tons of 3 and 4 star guys to the D1 level the last few years. I’m going Aquinas by 10. 

12 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

STA has a 4* RB and extremely talented offensive line. They are extremely run heavy and run a double wing. Defensively they are not as talented but they are far from void of talent. 

They play in the Eastern Kansas League which is fat and away the toughest league in KS with the Blue Valley Schools and Bishop Meige. Do you have any insight how schools in Omaha compare to these schools?

11 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Westside is stacked this year. Brought a ton of key guys back from the runner-up last season. Prep wasn't supposed to be that good this year, but they are usually respectable at worst and they looked like a JV squad last week.

As for the leagues just from a really quick google it looks like KS and NE do things a little differently for organization at the HS level. Nebraska uses districts under the class system to make schedules, but the districts change every 2 years where it appears these Kansas leagues are stable. Apologies if I got that wrong about KS.

Westside is in a district this year with two of the historically weakest Class A football programs Benson and Bryan(both OPS I wonder if they got this game together after OPS canceled?). Grand Island and Norfolk are hit or miss, but usually not bad. Millard North rounds out the district and they are one of the most storied programs in the state.

Off topic, but the district assignments for 2020/2021 were really odd IMO. Don't make much sense travel-wise or with historic matchups.

11 hours ago, Decked said:

The EKL conference would wipe the floor with the best Nebraska teams every season. Westside is a more even matchup but IMO..Aquinas will be ready. Westside has some good talent. Aquinas has sent tons of 3 and 4 star guys to the D1 level the last few years. I’m going Aquinas by 10. 

What class is Aquinas in Kansas? The biggest district in Kansas is bigger than Class A in Nebraska, so it would stand to reason that there would be more talent across the board for Aquinas than for Westside. 

I wish interstate games happened more often in this side of the state, particularly with the larger schools, and both in football and basketball. 

14 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

What class is Aquinas in Kansas? The biggest district in Kansas is bigger than Class A in Nebraska, so it would stand to reason that there would be more talent across the board for Aquinas than for Westside. 

I wish interstate games happened more often in this side of the state, particularly with the larger schools, and both in football and basketball. 

STA is 5A which is the 2nd biggest class in Ks. 

As far as leagues and districts Ks does both. Leagues are no different then a conference in college, and districts are what determine who makes the playoffs.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Gorillahawk said:

STA is 5A which is the 2nd biggest class in Ks. 

As far as leagues and districts Ks does both. Leagues are no different then a conference in college, and districts are what determine who makes the playoffs.

5A would roughly translate to Class A in Nebraska, so they should be fairly evenly matched in those terms. I had a nephew who played 3A ball awhile ago, so I'm sort of familiar with how the system works in Kansas. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Idk about in Nebraska but KSHSAA discourages Ks schools playing out of state

22 minutes ago, Decked said:

The last few years at least the best teams in KS are the 5A teams such as Aquinas & Bishop Miege who is 4A I think. 

Miege is 4A, but other than Derby Ks 6A is no where near as tough as 5A. In 5A you have STA, Mill Valley, Bishop Carrol, Wichita NW, and Andover who year in and year out are loaded with legit college bound talent. 

STA has a kid named Tyron "Tank" Young who is a 3* running back with an Iowa State offer, a 3* WR committed to Army, and an O-lineman who is going FCS. I know they have more college bound kids but I'm too lazy to look them up.

I read about Westside's talent and it's obvious to me that they are going to be extremely dynamic as they too are loaded. I foresee it being a close game as well. 

20 minutes ago, GSG said:

I feel a wager coming on.... 

I'd be down for some kind of harmless wager, like if you lose you have to have Kirk Ferentz as your profile picture until the start of next season :lol:

3 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I'd be down for some kind of harmless wager, like if you lose you have to have Kirk Ferentz as your profile picture until the start of next season :lol:

That's pretty good! I have no dog in this fight though, since I'm from the other end of Nebraska originally 

• Haha 1

I wager on Aquinas. Unless it’s money. But anything else I am in!

8 minutes ago, GSG said:

That's pretty good! I have no dog in this fight though, since I'm from the other end of Nebraska originally 

I’m from Kansas I gotta rep here. Also from an EKL school. 

8 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

5A would roughly translate to Class A in Nebraska, so they should be fairly evenly matched in those terms. I had a nephew who played 3A ball awhile ago, so I'm sort of familiar with how the system works in Kansas. 

STA would be a smaller Class A school in Nebraska with an enrollment of 950 students in grades 9-12th.  

The NSAA changed the enrollment rules last spring for Class A.  It is now 850 or more student from 9th-11th grade.  I have no idea why they went with a 3 year window instead of the 4 year like it has been.  That is why we are seeing some former Class B schools in Nebraska bumped up to Class A.  

For comparison,  Westside has a 9th-12th enrollment of 1945 students for the '20-21 school year.