St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Westside

Gorillahawk

30 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

STA would be a smaller Class A school in Nebraska with an enrollment of 950 students in grades 9-12th.  

The NSAA changed the enrollment rules last spring for Class A.  It is now 850 or more student from 9th-11th grade.  I have no idea why they went with a 3 year window instead of the 4 year like it has been.  That is why we are seeing some former Class B schools in Nebraska bumped up to Class A.  

For comparison,  Westside has a 9th-12th enrollment of 1945 students for the '20-21 school year. 

Yep. They are smaller but they can recruit players from the KC area which really gives them a tremendous edge. It’s borderline unfair. It’s one of the reasons why Bishop Miege destroys everyone. Small enrollment but nabs some of the best local talent around. 

3 hours ago, Decked said:

Yep. They are smaller but they can recruit players from the KC area which really gives them a tremendous edge. It’s borderline unfair. It’s one of the reasons why Bishop Miege destroys everyone. Small enrollment but nabs some of the best local talent around. 

I know 4A schools are fed up with Meige purposely staying 4A when they know it’s pretty much a guaranteed state championship every year. A friend of mine is the HC at Pittsburg High and two years ago they lost to Meige in the playoffs and that was by far the toughest anyone played Meige in the postseason that year. There was a vote last year to change the private school rules but it didn’t pass

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

STA would be a smaller Class A school in Nebraska with an enrollment of 950 students in grades 9-12th.  

The NSAA changed the enrollment rules last spring for Class A.  It is now 850 or more student from 9th-11th grade.  I have no idea why they went with a 3 year window instead of the 4 year like it has been.  That is why we are seeing some former Class B schools in Nebraska bumped up to Class A.  

For comparison,  Westside has a 9th-12th enrollment of 1945 students for the '20-21 school year. 

They've used the three-year enrollment for quite a long time.  Not sure why that is other than they use spring enrollment for fall classifications so they would only have three known classes to do that.

15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Didn't Elkhorn High go back to Class B this year? I know that an underlying reason for the new Elkhorn North is so the (now) three schools all stay Class B.

Elkhorn South is still in A.  High and North are in B.  But they could all be B if their enrollments were more balanced so perhaps it will trend that way.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:23 PM, Decked said:

On 9/2/2020 at 10:30 PM, Gorillahawk said:

I know 4A schools are fed up with Meige purposely staying 4A when they know it’s pretty much a guaranteed state championship every year. A friend of mine is the HC at Pittsburg High and two years ago they lost to Meige in the playoffs and that was by far the toughest anyone played Meige in the postseason that year. There was a vote last year to change the private school rules but it didn’t pass

These are issues everywhere, including Nebraska.  I have a friend whose kids went to Kearney Catholic.  I was always raz him about KC recruiting athletes in Kearney.  He claims they didn't.  If they didn't, it sure as hell looks like it from the outside.  I was around volleyball quite a bit with my oldest daughter growing up.  I witnessed their really good teams being put together that won championships a few years ago.

Skutt in Omaha is another one.

I'm all for having different classification requirements for private schools.  Just coming up with something that's fair and accomplishes what you want is difficult.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

These are issues everywhere, including Nebraska.  I have a friend whose kids went to Kearney Catholic.  I was always raz him about KC recruiting athletes in Kearney.  He claims they didn't.  If they didn't, it sure as hell looks like it from the outside.  I was around volleyball quite a bit with my oldest daughter growing up.  I witnessed their really good teams being put together that won championships a few years ago.

I'm all for having different classification requirements for private schools.  Just coming up with something that's fair and accomplishes what you want is difficult.

North Platte St. Pats never did that, or if they did, North Platte's pool of athletes was awful when I was in school. Don't get me started on Wahoo Neumann or Norfolk Catholic, though. 

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a small school in SE Ks named St. Mary's Colgan, and I played with a kid who they actively recruited when we are a Pitt State summer camp. I'm pretty sure all of the private schools recruit in one way or another