Question about Santa (if you read this he won't come to your house ever again)

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

My niece is 11, so kind of why I made this. I think she really still believes based on what she has asked me. My sister-in-law wrote her a letter trying to hint at it. I don't think it worked though. Maybe they'll tell her after this Christmas. I feel like her brother is going to know before her and he's 7. The niece is super into following all of the rules to a T, so I think it just hasn't occurred to her that her parents would ever lie about this.

My kids just figured it out after this last Christmas. My 9yo son still believed, but my 5yo daughter was suspicious. She realized that the Toothfairy and Easter Bunny made no sense and then figured out Santa wasn't real either. She immediately told her older brother.

My son was traumatized until I assured him that he's still get the same number of presents, then he didn't care about Santa anymore.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

My dad was super sneaky about it. I don't know how he pulled this off, but we'd go to the Christmas Eve pageant at church every year, and while we were gone Santa had visited and we could open our presents that night.

We knew he'd come because there were no gifts under the tree when we left, but they were there when we got back. The fireplace screen was moved aside and there was a trail of ashes out to the floor. 

Never figured out how he did it. He got into the car with the rest of us. There were a few presents so it would have taken him a long time to put them out. The fireplace was clean when we left, but the ashes were moved around when we got home, so it had to have been done when we were at church.

Either he had the neighbor do it, or grandpa came from three towns away to do it, or... I don't know. 

Your dad was very cool to set everything up like that!  The best part is you still dont know how he did it!

• Plus1 1

I truly don't ever recall believing in Santa.  I am sure I did at sometime, but I was the youngest and my older brother would have definitely broke the news to me just to be a d!(k.  

We only got 1 or 2 presents from Santa at my house anyway.  It was usually the big present a new bike etc. It was always kind of a wink and a nudge from my parents.  

Now my wife on the other hand loves Santa and wanted are kids to believe as long as possible.  Her parents did the same thing as @KnappIc did.  They would go to church and the presents from Santa would be there when they got home. 

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

I just assumed everyone always kinda knew.  Everyone in my kindergarten class just kinda knew.

I've put my detective hat on and come to the conclusion Dude told everyone in his class Santa isn't real just to be a jerk.

I definitely believed in Santa for a good part of my childhood. Probably 'til around 8 years old. I don't remember being traumatized by the news though so I maybe knew a bit before then. I even helped my grandma make apple pie for the bastard (my mom) and I regret that now.

• Haha 1

I was eight or nine years old when my sister took me into our parents' room and showed me the Christmas toys in their closet. She told me Santa wasn't real, and I don't remember being that upset about it. I'd probably heard something like that before, I guess. 

Don't most kids stop believing in Santa around 6-8 years old anyway?

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I was eight or nine years old when my sister took me into our parents' room and showed me the Christmas toys in their closet. She told me Santa wasn't real, and I don't remember being that upset about it. I'd probably heard something like that before, I guess. 

Don't most kids stop believing in Santa around 6-8 years old anyway?

Based on the my own kids and their friends, I think the age is 5-11. I'm surprised kids make it past 7 still believing, but there are lots that do.

I don't remember ever being told that there was no Santa, but I know I had to pretend to believe until I was in high school because we always got together at my aunt & uncle's house and my oldest cousin was 10 years younger than me.  I stopped getting presents from my aunt & uncle but got them from "Santa" at their house so my cousins would still believe.