Huskers and BLM

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Nobody thinks this. We all just think:

This isn't true, and it ignores the fact that, where there aren't specific laws holding PoC back, there's still racist barriers built into our society that hold them back. 

Agreed.

Nobody thinks that? The American flag is being seen as one in the same as the Trump flag...You said that is untrue then went on to say there are no laws holding people of color back. "Racist barriers built into our society" ?? Brazil had more than 10x African American slaves than the USA. You know how they are living? Like everyone else - mainly sleeping on dirt floors. BLM acts like police are out hunting black people...again, not true. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's not that big of a deal, but I as well am getting tired of all this crap. I just find it odd that liking America is seen as a bad thing these days. I find that unsettling and foolish. It shows that people are very uneducated and have never traveled outside of the United States. There is no better place in the world - especially people of color. Can it still get better? Yes, but there are no more laws that hold people of color back, and actually there are many in their favor. So now it is more of changing people's minds I guess. 

Thank you for pointing out a huge fallacy of an attitude against issues like BLM.  These people don't hate America.  Now, yes, there probably is some extreme idiots in these groups that say they would.  But, the vast majority don't.  Just because people think America needs to do better at something, doesn't mean they hate America.

I support BLM and raising awareness to racial injustices.  I also love this country and think it's a great place to live and raise a family.  

I also am not arrogant enough to think that other countries don't do some things better.  Yes....it's true.  America isn't the best at absolutely everything and we can learn from other countries in certain situations.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Nobody thinks that? The American flag is being seen as one in the same as the Trump flag...You said that is untrue then went on to say there are no laws holding people of color back. "Racist barriers built into our society" ?? Brazil had more than 10x African American slaves than the USA. You know how they are living? Like everyone else - mainly sleeping on dirt floors. BLM acts like police are out hunting black people...again, not true. 

I'll admit it. I can't stand what that flag stands for as long as Trump is President.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Enhance said:

IMO this is a non-issue. I don't care what's on the players helmets, but even so, supporting something like BLM doesn't really feel like that big of a deal to me.

If politics should be kept out of sports, we should probably have honest conversations about removing the national anthem and any uniforms/badges that draw attention to the American flag, right?

And certainly no more military tributes/reunions at games. 

41 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It's not that big of a deal, but I as well am getting tired of all this crap. I just find it odd that liking America is seen as a bad thing these days. I find that unsettling and foolish.

IMO it's less about liking America being a 'bad thing' and more about the persistent obstinance often targeted at addressing some of our country's biggest problems. BLM is essentially a chemical reaction bred from hundreds of years of systemic injustice and racism.

So, I think people who have spent years, decades or centuries being squashed under this boot feel a bit disenfranchised by American positivity. However, I also think a lot of people out there love to turn these conversations into a battle of absolutes. 'Oh, you think America is so great? Well you can [insert expletive].' (For clarity, that's not directed at you :)) But, that kind of reaction or discussion style is very counter productive.

We shouldn't have to do something like put a BLM sticker on a helmet to help drive change for Black Americans. But, we also shouldn't have to have things like affirmative action or the Rooney Rule in order to provide equal opportunities to minorities. Yet, those are also two examples of reactions bred out of discrimination. We humans have a tendency to be untrustworthy and disingenuous.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'll admit it. I can't stand what that flag stands for as long as Trump is President.

What does it stand for? The amount of people who care about Democrat or Republican have the real issues. You act like there is massive change whoever is president. Live your damn life and quit crying. Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice etc. All black people killed by police - all under Obama. I remember those protests as well. Was it Obama's fault? NO? But the ones now are Trumps fault. Got it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

It is not Trump's sole fault, no one is saying that. Racism, profiling, bad policing, etc. existed long before him. But he certainly has empowered white supremacy and police brutality; there is no denying that. The longer he stays in power, the worse that empowerment gets.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Can you explain what you mean here? Which laws are you talking about that favor people of color?

There are no laws anymore that favor a white person and haven't been for quite some time - which is obviously how it should be. Laws maybe wasn't the best word but for example "Rules" "Guidelines" or having to be a diverse work place are definitely there. I work for a large company and we have to have people of color at higher (manager) positions. This is fact. I'm here. I've conducted these interviews and hirings. Similar to how the NFL is giving 'incentives' to teams who hire black candidates.  I know people at colleges and universities who grant academic scholarships to people of color for having anything above a C average, or sometimes just for not being white. There are no white scholarships. Again, I don't think there should be. The way to go about these things is way off IMO - look at what Enhance said a few posts up. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1