Huskers and BLM

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Similar to how the NFL is giving 'incentives' to teams who hire black candidates.  I know people at colleges and universities who grant academic scholarships to people of color for having anything above a C average, or sometimes just for not being white. There are no white scholarships. Again, I don't think there should be.

This always reminds me of Chris Rock's 2004 Never Scared standup:

Don’t get me wrong with affirmative action. I don’t think I should get a job over a white person if I get a lower mark in a test. I don’t think I should get accepted into a school over a white person if I get a lower mark. But if there’s a tie, F ’em. S***, you had a 400-year head start, ************. White man, you gonna be all right. You know, a lot of people say, “If you’re the smartest and the brightest, “you won’t need affirmative action, if you strive to be the smartest and the brightest.” They say that as if the country is run by the smartest and the brightest. I was in black schools and white schools so you can’t tell me s***. When you go to a class, there are 30 kids. Five smart, five dumb, and the rest are in the middle. And that’s all America is – a nation in the middle. A nation of B and C students, that’s all the F it is. A nation of B and C students. But let’s keep it ******* real, OK? A black C student can’t run no ******* company. A black C student can’t even be the manager of Burger King. Meanwhile, the white C student just happens to be the President of the United States of America.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I'll admit it. I can't stand what that flag stands for as long as Trump is President.

I'm asking you for a clarification.

Is it the what the flag stands for that you can't stand?  Or....is it what MAGA people do with the flag in the name of patriotism and their own version of that that you can't stand?

See, to me, the flag still stands for the same thing.  A great nation that stands for freedom and a nation built on the ability to change when needed to be better.  Now, those ideals need to constantly be improved upon...obviously.  The glaring ones are the ending of slavery, women's and black's right to vote...etc.  But, our country has constantly been in a state of change ever since it's creation with the bill of rights and constitution.  I love this country and what the flag stands for to me.  I do NOT like how other people use the flag.

So, my question I think is an important clarification.  On one hand, the flag stands for something.  The other hand, it's how certain people are using the flag for their own twisted beliefs.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

There are no laws anymore that favor a white person and haven't been for quite some time - which is obviously how it should be. Laws maybe wasn't the best word but for example "Rules" "Guidelines" or having to be a diverse work place are definitely there. I work for a large company and we have to have people of color at higher (manager) positions. This is fact. I'm here. I've conducted these interviews and hirings. Similar to how the NFL is giving 'incentives' to teams who hire black candidates.  I know people at colleges and universities who grant academic scholarships to people of color for having anything above a C average, or sometimes just for not being white. There are no white scholarships. Again, I don't think there should be. The way to go about these things is way off IMO - look at what Enhance said a few posts up. 

Contrast that workplace diversity rule with bank lending practices, redlining in housing markets, discriminatory hiring practices, discriminatory college admissions processes that favor whites, and the vastly disparate number of unarmed people of color killed by the police per capita (unarmed!) and you kinda get the picture of why movements like Black Lives Matter start up.

It's fun to pretend that, because stuff like Jim Crow laws are no longer on the books that everything is level and on the up & up, but it's not, and it hasn't been since this country's founding. 

The very fact that your company mandates that there has to be people of color in upper management should tell you there's a problem - that mandate doesn't exist if people were being promoted regardless of race or color (in this instance, but there are also mandates about age, sex, national origin, etc in other companies). 

Humans create rules/laws when there's a problem that needs fixing. People weren't driving too slowly in cars, but they were driving too fast - so we have speed limits. People weren't randomly putting money in banks, they were robbing them - so we have laws against that. Those mandates in your company exist for a reason, and are often the result of a settlement agreement based on the company's past discriminatory practices.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

What does it stand for? The amount of people who care about Democrat or Republican have the real issues. You act like there is massive change whoever is president. Live your damn life and quit crying. Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice etc. All black people killed by police - all under Obama. I remember those protests as well. Was it Obama's fault? NO? But the ones now are Trumps fault. Got it. 

The bigger issue is the attitude about the protests (not riots...protests) between the two Presidents.  The riots are a lot worse now than under Obama.  That is a direct result of the attitude of the leadership at the top of our nation.  The protests aren't much different and those are not as affected by who is President.

There is a big difference between  the riots and the protests.  Many times they are even very different groups of people.

• Plus1 1

Why do people believe that no racist thing should have happened while Obama was president? Or that, since we have had a Black president, all racism is gone? 

Racists didn't just stop being racists because we elected Obama. Most of them dug their heels in more. There's a good argument to be made that we have this bloated orange racist-enabler in the White House now as a direct result of how pissed off the racists are that we had a Black president. 

"This happened under Obama" doesn't absolve Trump. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

What does it stand for? The amount of people who care about Democrat or Republican have the real issues. You act like there is massive change whoever is president. Live your damn life and quit crying. Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Tamir Rice etc. All black people killed by police - all under Obama. I remember those protests as well. Was it Obama's fault? NO? But the ones now are Trumps fault. Got it. 

Holy sh#t dude. You sure do read a whole lot of stuff that was not actually written.
Having a bad day?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

@JJ Husker appears to be one, or at least he said it above 

No, I do not see the American flag as being one and the same as the Trump flag.

What I do see is whole bunch of backwards racist POS’s co-opting and wrapping themselves in the American flag, using it as a symbol of what they think the United States should be. MAGA indeed. They couldn’t be further off the mark.

• Plus1 5
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm asking you for a clarification.

Is it the what the flag stands for that you can't stand?  Or....is it what MAGA people do with the flag in the name of patriotism and their own version of that that you can't stand?

See, to me, the flag still stands for the same thing.  A great nation that stands for freedom and a nation built on the ability to change when needed to be better.  Now, those ideals need to constantly be improved upon...obviously.  The glaring ones are the ending of slavery, women's and black's right to vote...etc.  But, our country has constantly been in a state of change ever since it's creation with the bill of rights and constitution.  I love this country and what the flag stands for to me.  I do NOT like how other people use the flag.

So, my question I think is an important clarification.  On one hand, the flag stands for something.  The other hand, it's how certain people are using the flag for their own twisted beliefs.  

See my post above.

And for further clarification, I have great respect and admiration for what the flag stands for. It embarrasses me that what some great Americans fought and died for is being bastardized by many Trump supporters. They support the a$$hole who called those people losers and suckers over and above what that flag really represents. So yeah, that tends to tarnish it for me quite a bit. It’s hard to love something that currently is extremely hard to recognize. Maybe we’ll recover, or maybe we won’t. The history of turning something like this around is not in our favor. Heck in this very thread we have those who are “tired of this sh#t” because they can’t stand to be reminded that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness still is not applied equally in this country. Too many are content with “we have laws” and “we have rules” while completely ignoring that isn’t enough.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

See my post above.

And for further clarification, I have great respect and admiration for what the flag stands for. It embarrasses me that what some great Americans fought and died for is being bastardized by many Trump supporters. They support the a$$hole who called those people losers and suckers over and above what that flag really represents. So yeah, that tends to tarnish it for me quite a bit. It’s hard to love something that currently is extremely hard to recognize. Maybe we’ll recover, or maybe we won’t. The history of turning something like this around is not in our favor. Heck in this very thread we have those who are “tired of this sh#t” because they can’t stand to be reminded that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness still is not applied equally in this country. Too many are content with “we have laws” and “we have rules” while completely ignoring that isn’t enough.

OK....I think we are saying the same thing and I agree.

And....yes...neither of us view the American flag as the same as the Trump flag.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I'll admit it. I can't stand what that flag stands for as long as Trump is President.

Sorry, JJ, I guess I read this wrong? You kind of explained yourself in the reply post to me, but before that, I read it as you did not care for the USofA flag because Trump was prez.

1 hour ago, QMany said:

This always reminds me of Chris Rock's 2004 Never Scared standup:

This bit sure hasn't stood the test of time.

I mean, the only way that Donald Trump was a C student was if he paid the 8th smartest kid in class to do his homework. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2