1 hour ago, knapplc said:

OK, this looks pretty awesome.

I will go to that...! I was a senior when the first one came out, so I have some foggy memories about it, but did think it was great, as a fan of The Police, that Sting had a big role. I also read the books, and thoroughly enjoyed the visuals Herbert was able to induce in your minds eye

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I will go to that...! I was a senior when the first one came out, so I have some foggy memories about it, but did think it was great, as a fan of The Police, that Sting had a big role. I also read the books, and thoroughly enjoyed the visuals Herbert was able to induce in your minds eye

The books were amazing. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

OK, this looks pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

The books were amazing. 

Dune is probably my favorite book. That trailer looks amazing, but it's a very difficult book to turn into a single movie, so I'm staying somewhat skeptical.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trailer looks good.  I'm sure I saw the first one but don't remember any of it.

Would I need to rewatch that to understand this one?

Don't watch the one from the 80's. It's not good. (I liked it as a kid but watching it as an adult it's just poorly done.)

SyFy channel produced a miniseries about 15-20 years ago that was good especially considering the low budget.

I recommend reading the book instead of watching either though.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Dune is probably my favorite book. That trailer looks amazing, but it's a very difficult book to turn into a single movie, so I'm staying somewhat skeptical.

Herbert packed SO MUCH into that novel it is very hard to transition into one movie. They broke what amounts to a young adult book (The Hobbit) into three movies - you'd think Dune could have been green-lighted for at least two. 

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Don't watch the one from the 80's. It's not good. (I liked it as a kid but watching it as an adult it's just poorly done.)

The 1980s movie just doesn't hold up to today's standards - heck, it's light-years behind the Star Wars prequels or even the originals, really.

I remember loving that movie as a kid, and was turned off by it as an adult. Same with Highlander, same with Legend. None of those movies look remotely good today.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It looks like they will be making it into two movies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2020/09/09/dune-trailer-denis-villeneuve-sci-fi-epic-debuts-first-footage/5743039002/

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Herbert packed SO MUCH into that novel it is very hard to transition into one movie. They broke what amounts to a young adult book (The Hobbit) into three movies - you'd think Dune could have been green-lighted for at least two. 

The 1980s movie just doesn't hold up to today's standards - heck, it's light-years behind the Star Wars prequels or even the originals, really.

I remember loving that movie as a kid, and was turned off by it as an adult. Same with Highlander, same with Legend. None of those movies look remotely good today.

I think the 80's Dune movie looks fine, in fact it holds up pretty well visually, but it's poor film-making. Having the voice-over thoughts of the characters is the laziest way to avoid doing the work to adapt the book to the screen. A good adaptation uses dialogue and acting to convey the story.

27 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Thanks!!

The book naturally splits into 3 parts, but two movies might be doable.

I'm really excited for this movie. The trailer looks great.

And the books are really, really good, although I think they have a tendency to drag a bit at certain points.

I actually read the first one when I was a senior in high school for a book report. The report was massive and I got something like 97/100 on it. Then, the next year, I let the girl I was dating at the time borrow my report so she wouldn't have to read the book. She basically copied me word for word and somehow got 100/100... from the same teacher. I'm still a bit triggered about that.

• Haha 2