Why Huskers Need To Thank THE Big Ten

Sure, Husker Nation is disappointed to say the least with THE Big Ten cancelling Fall football and doing so in such a clumsy and elitist manner.

But... they say there’s always a bright side to everything. Time for the Bright Side. The entire Husker Family has reasons to thank the Large Fourteen for banishing Fall football in 2020. Among the reasons are...

1. There will be NO game-action injuries sustained by any of the Husker players. Not one single player or coach or assistant will be hurt this way for the first time ever.

2. For the first time since 1997, the Huskers will NOT LOSE A GAME from September through December.

3. Husker legal scholars and legal students will have a blast this Fall spending time deciding how and when and who to sue for various misdeeds and miscalculations and breaking of rules and understandings. The possibilities are endless.

4. It’s entertaining to see people squirm when under pressure. We can watch Big Ten decision-makers choosing each day from among various excuses for not playing the fall season, such as vague and unsubstantiated scientific claims, grandiose statements about being concerned with health and safety, or seeking forgiveness for just being too hasty and ill-informed when they made their decisions.

5. Husker Nation will become way more familiar with SEC and Big 12 players and games than they would have if the Huskers were playing. Husker fans can pick and choose which team they want to root for in place of the Huskers for a few months. You never know when the Huskers might be playing these teams a whole lot more one of these years.

And maybe the best reason of all...

That The Big Red found its voice and stood up to The Big Bullies Of The East and staked their claim to being heard by those who are always enamored most by the sound of their own voice.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

I doubt I could thank the Big Ten for anything at this point.   I can watch SEC games even if NU plays.  Law students will learn a few things but unless we break some new ground in these well established legal areas, not much new precedent expected.  Physical injuries may be delayed but wont be avoided unless football is gone forever.  Injuries may be worsened if plans finally adopted fail to assure adequate conditioning and prep time. Watching an organization my alma mater is a proud contributing member self destruct and damage DONU to the tune of 50 to 100 million (a sum exceeding the total accumulated operating and donation margin of a century of existence) can never be entertaining to me.  Sickening.  Disgusting.  Painful.  Not entertaining.  DONU will have not lost a game this fall on the scoreboard but it will also be the only time we never played one.  It will be the first time in half a century we go winless as well 

Sorry but I wont be thanking Big Ten or Special K anytime soon, even if the find a way to get a half a season of road games set before the snow flies!   Lol well I heard maybe that already happened!   

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I doubt I could thank the Big Ten for anything at this point.   I can watch SEC games even if NU plays.  Law students will learn a few things but unless we break some new ground in these well established legal areas, not much new precedent expected.  Physical injuries may be delayed but wont be avoided unless football is gone forever.  Injuries may be worsened if plans finally adopted fail to assure adequate conditioning and prep time. Watching an organization my alma mater is a proud contributing member self destruct and damage DONU to the tune of 50 to 100 million (a sum exceeding the total accumulated operating and donation margin of a century of existence) can never be entertaining to me.  Sickening.  Disgusting.  Painful.  Not entertaining.  DONU will have not lost a game this fall on the scoreboard but it will also be the only time we never played one.  It will be the first time in half a century we go winless as well 

Sorry but I wont be thanking Big Ten or Special K anytime soon, even if the find a way to get a half a season of road games set before the snow flies!   Lol well I heard maybe that already happened!   

I'm curious, could you expand on how $50-$100M exceeds the accumulated donations and operating expenses of 100 years. While losing $50M to $100M is extremely serious, stating that exceeds 100 years of operating expenses and donations seems like a gross overstatement.

How can we lose in only one season what, according to you, we haven't even spent in the last 100 years?

23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm curious, could you expand on how $50-$100M exceeds the accumulated donations and operating expenses of 100 years. While losing $50M to $100M is extremely serious, stating that exceeds 100 years of operating expenses and donations seems like a gross overstatement.

How can we lose in only one season what, according to you, we haven't even spent in the last 100 years?

Read again.  I said margin.   Think net savings.  Over the lifetime of the Ath Dept, there has been a rough accumulation of about 60 million (the reported rainy day funds per T Osborne - my source for those who need to know btw).  The expected loss from this mess, so far, is above that to the tune of 100 million per Moos).  

That is my math.  Btw Moos has instituted serious cost savings steps to help bridge the cash flow canyon and many ticket holders / donors have offered to let NU keep this year’s money to apply to next year’s tickets.  A temp fix to a chunk of the problem but next year tickets will be already collected for and cash flow will show it. 

And one more future ‘time bomb’ is the potential fiscal disaster that is The Big Ten itself.  This is hard to guestimate  but it is reasonable to forecast major fiscal issues for the conference itself which has been sending NU around 40 - 50 million annually.  If Big Ten were publicly traded on Wall street markets, it would be off about 50% or worse.  What happens if they drop BB in a couple months.  Never say never as most would have scoffed at the idea of no fall sports recently as well.  Egos of 9 voters are involved in deciding all this.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to THE Big Ten for showing us what Covid-19 is all about. The Definitions:

“Social Distancing” - a condition where Big Ten Conference Football fans try to put as much physical distance as possible between them and Conference decision makers who make rash and ill-informed judgments resulting in the delay or loss of the Fall 2020 Big Ten season.

“Wear a Mask” - when Big Ten fans cover their facial area (particularly the nasal region) to protect themselves from the really bad smells coming out of Big Ten Conference headquarters and the stench of harming players, fans, and businesses who depend on playing football.

“Covid-19" - a physical malady that affects mostly elderly people and from which most people soon recover but a condition that provides a convenience scapegoat for bad decisions made by various Big Ten officials who prefer to remain in the shadows.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Thanks to THE Big Ten for showing us what Covid-19 is all about. The Definitions:

“Social Distancing” - a condition where Big Ten Conference Football fans try to put as much physical distance as possible between them and Conference decision makers who make rash and ill-informed judgments resulting in the delay or loss of the Fall 2020 Big Ten season.

“Wear a Mask” - when Big Ten fans cover their facial area (particularly the nasal region) to protect themselves from the really bad smells coming out of Big Ten Conference headquarters and the stench of harming players, fans, and businesses who depend on playing football.

“Covid-19" - a physical malady that affects mostly elderly people and from which most people soon recover but a condition that provides a convenience scapegoat for bad decisions made by various Big Ten officials who prefer to remain in the shadows.

Thanks for making this post short enough I could finish it before bedtime. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Read again.  I said margin.   Think net savings.  Over the lifetime of the Ath Dept, there has been a rough accumulation of about 60 million (the reported rainy day funds per T Osborne - my source for those who need to know btw).  The expected loss from this mess, so far, is above that to the tune of 100 million per Moos).  

That is my math.  Btw Moos has instituted serious cost savings steps to help bridge the cash flow canyon and many ticket holders / donors have offered to let NU keep this year’s money to apply to next year’s tickets.  A temp fix to a chunk of the problem but next year tickets will be already collected for and cash flow will show it. 

And one more future ‘time bomb’ is the potential fiscal disaster that is The Big Ten itself.  This is hard to guestimate  but it is reasonable to forecast major fiscal issues for the conference itself which has been sending NU around 40 - 50 million annually.  If Big Ten were publicly traded on Wall street markets, it would be off about 50% or worse.  What happens if they drop BB in a couple months.  Never say never as most would have scoffed at the idea of no fall sports recently as well.  Egos of 9 voters are involved in deciding all this.  

Okay, I overlooked the word margin. My bad but an odd way to word it.

7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Okay, I overlooked the word margin. My bad but an odd way to word it.

Perhaps so but saying ‘profit’ instead of margin tends to bring the whole non-profit idea.  And there seems to be a belief among a good number of HB members that DONU athletic department is rich, wealthy, and a cash cow with money running out their ears.   I keep reading comments about how there is plenty of money to spend to recruit, equip and remodel, build new, pay player an annual salary, etc   NU athletics has been a rarity in collegiate sports operations in terms of being blessed with very loyal, dedicated, and enduring fans.  Despite some coaching changes (good or bad or ugly), decades of steady success, coming close but not quite getting there for decades, and then a couple decades of disappointment, the Sea of Red has not dried up.  Its turbulent nowadays but every spring hope and anticipation arises one more time.   Losing seasons are taking a toll and now this Big Ten mess.  I am not sure how Moos will manage to keep the ship afloat thru an unbelievably bad storm. 

Just want people to truly realize the risk to the life of Husker athletics, both short and long term.  

• Plus1 1