Racial Equality

CyHawk

I am all for racial equality in sports. Lets start now.

In the 2019 census, 60% of the population is white, 18% hispanic, 15% black, and 6% asian (1% other)

Out of the 85 football scholarships (NCAA) or roster spots (NFL) available, equality means that:

51 will go to white people

15 will go to Hispanics

13 will go to blacks

5 will go to Asians

1 will be something else

In the NFL and College, the starting offense and defense there will be:

7 whites

2 Hispanics

2 Blacks

Statistically, and to be fair, there may not be room for Asians or "others"

In college basketball and the NBA, of the 5 that are on the court at any given time

3 will be white

1 will be hispanic

1 will be black

Do we really want equality?

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

I don't understand what you're trying to say or ask, OP, but will give this thread the temporary benefit of the doubt.

However, I will say that it's difficult to evaluate racial equality in sports from the narrow viewpoint of a census. There are a lot of socio economic and cultural factors that often help determine the sports people play. For example, somewhere in the realm of 60-70% of NFL players are black, but Black Americans make up a far lower overall percentage of the U.S. population.

• Plus1 1

So when there are disparities in numbers For a job differing from our national averages favoring non whites it is due to merit, culture and choices.? 

But when let’s say something like high paying computer programming jobs, statisticians, scientists, physicists, mathematicians, engineers etc , those disparities favoring whites  are all about evil racism right?  

Im all about merit. I’m a new big fan of the academy awards now where all the pictures that qualify must now have a certain percentage of minorities represented as main and minor characters and behind the scenes. Something  like 30 percent? Guess we won’t be seeing any Viking or Godfather movies anytime soon lol

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omaha fan said:

Im all about merit.

In a perfect world where opportunities are equal and people are not discriminated against because of the color of their skin, whom they choose to take as a partner, what reproductive organ they were born with, etc., I would tend to agree.

But, I don't really have to go into detail about how we don't live in the perfect world... right?

I’m a new big fan of the academy awards now where all the pictures that qualify must now have a certain percentage of minorities represented as main and minor characters and behind the scenes. Something  like 30 percent? Guess we won’t be seeing any Viking or Godfather movies anytime soon lol

This is a lazy and uninformed take. If one were to take the time to read the actual guidelines outlined by the academy, the 30 percent rule is only applied to ONE standard. A film must meet TWO of FOUR standards in order to be eligible for Best Picture. So, if meeting the 30 percent rule wouldn't apply to that movie's plot, they would simply need to meet one of the other standards.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, CyHawk said:

I am all for racial equality in sports. Lets start now.

In the 2019 census, 60% of the population is white, 18% hispanic, 15% black, and 6% asian (1% other)

Out of the 85 football scholarships (NCAA) or roster spots (NFL) available, equality means that:

51 will go to white people

15 will go to Hispanics

13 will go to blacks

5 will go to Asians

1 will be something else

In the NFL and College, the starting offense and defense there will be:

7 whites

2 Hispanics

2 Blacks

Statistically, and to be fair, there may not be room for Asians or "others"

In college basketball and the NBA, of the 5 that are on the court at any given time

3 will be white

1 will be hispanic

1 will be black

Do we really want equality?

Equality means treated equally based on merit, not other, stupid factors like race.

1 hour ago, Omaha fan said:

So when there are disparities in numbers For a job differing from our national averages favoring non whites it is due to merit, culture and choices.? 

But when let’s say something like high paying computer programming jobs, statisticians, scientists, physicists, mathematicians, engineers etc , those disparities favoring whites  are all about evil racism right?

It's quite simple to do tests that show whether hiring practices are prejudiced. Companies should try to find that out and solve for it. That doesn't mean they necessarily need a quota, but they could do things like block out the applicant's name when they're first screened for their experience.

The reality of today’s workplace for most of the last  40 years I’ve been in business in corporate America and owning/ running several mid sized businesses  just do not meet The standards of what most describe as racism.

Greedy ugly capitalism means I want to maximize profits. That means I hire purely based on merit. And good people are almost always in very high demand and hard to find. 

When I was in the corporate world we were told to be very aggressive at the hiring shows we put booths at when it came to minorities. We were required to take any minority resume no matter how poorly they matched up with our requirements and pass along to our superior.

They would do out of box thinking to try and figure out if we could find something they could do. Minorities were not discriminated against, they had a huge leg up. Black females are the triple crown and always got an interview. 

Ask anyone in corporate hiring of who owns a descent sized business and ask them if they care a rats behind about race, sex, orientation. They don’t and it’s against the law to do so. 

• Plus1 3