Favorite Musical Artist Round 2: Beatles Region

Ulty

Favorite Musical Artist Round 2: Beatles Region  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am quite disillusioned with what is happening here with the Foo Fighters. I don’t dislike them but dang, knocking out AC/DC and the Stones. How can that be? Well, other than only about a dozen people participating but still :lol:

And the Beastie Boys currently beating out Rush?

According to the song count in my iTunes library :lol: this cannot be correct.
AC/DC 113 songs

Rolling Stones 38

Rush 10

Foo Foo 3

Beastie Boys 1

Maybe I need to delve deeper into the FF catalog....or maybe you’re all nuts.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I am quite disillusioned with what is happening here with the Foo Fighters. I don’t dislike them but dang, knocking out AC/DC and the Stones. How can that be? Well, other than only about a dozen people participating but still :lol:

And the Beastie Boys currently beating out Rush?

According to the song count in my iTunes library :lol: this cannot be correct.
AC/DC 113 songs

Rolling Stones 38

Rush 10

Foo Foo 3

Beastie Boys 1

Maybe I need to delve deeper into the FF catalog....or maybe you’re all nuts.

I think it is quite interesting as well, and really speaks to the differing tastes that people have. However, I hope that no one in their right mind would say that the Foo Fighters are "better" than AC/DC or the Stones, or that the Beastie Boys are "better" than Rush. But your favorite bands are about enjoyment. 

For example, in the first round, I voted for the Ramones over the Beatles. By any possible objective metric (sales, musical talent, influence on pop culture, etc), the Beatles are indisputably "better," but sometimes (not always) I prefer a quick jam with the Ramones.

I gotta be honest, if the Foo Fighters were on the radio right now on one station, and either AC/DC or the Stones were on another, I would probably switch it to the Foos and sing along.

57 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I think it is quite interesting as well, and really speaks to the differing tastes that people have. However, I hope that no one in their right mind would say that the Foo Fighters are "better" than AC/DC or the Stones, or that the Beastie Boys are "better" than Rush. But your favorite bands are about enjoyment. 

For example, in the first round, I voted for the Ramones over the Beatles. By any possible objective metric (sales, musical talent, influence on pop culture, etc), the Beatles are indisputably "better," but sometimes (not always) I prefer a quick jam with the Ramones.

I gotta be honest, if the Foo Fighters were on the radio right now on one station, and either AC/DC or the Stones were on another, I would probably switch it to the Foos and sing along.

Yeah, bands/music/songs are very subjective tastewise. Like you say the Stones or Beatles etc., by any measure, are better bands, have had more influence etc. but they also fall victim to too much familiarity. I love AC/DC but more times than not I prefer to listen to other things. I guess the Foo Fighters results just surprised me because I can only name 3 of their songs and I think I literally haven't ever heard any others. Like I said, I may need to take a deeper dive into their stuff. Plus it's pretty tough to try to make any fair comparison between things like Sinatra, Rush, SRV, Beatles, Beastie Boys.... They are such different things. I just really like too many genres of music and am still unfamiliar with so many. Jazz and Hip Hop are probably the only two I can honestly say have virtually no appeal to me. I really like some Rap but hate most of it. Neil Diamond is awesome but how do you compare something like that to Clutch or Black Sabbath? The scope is endless.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, bands/music/songs are very subjective tastewise. Like you say the Stones or Beatles etc., by any measure, are better bands, have had more influence etc. but they also fall victim to too much familiarity. I love AC/DC but more times than not I prefer to listen to other things. I guess the Foo Fighters results just surprised me because I can only name 3 of their songs and I think I literally haven't ever heard any others. Like I said, I may need to take a deeper dive into their stuff. Plus it's pretty tough to try to make any fair comparison between things like Sinatra, Rush, SRV, Beatles, Beastie Boys.... They are such different things. I just really like too many genres of music and am still unfamiliar with so many. Jazz and Hip Hop are probably the only two I can honestly say have virtually no appeal to me. I really like some Rap but hate most of it. Neil Diamond is awesome but how do you compare something like that to Clutch or Black Sabbath? The scope is endless.

Start with The Colour and the Shape, then go There Is Nothing Left to Lose, and One by One. I also like Wasting Light

1 minute ago, GSG said:

Do have 20 downloads of each? I can only name like 4 songs 

Well they have been around since the 70's.....

You need to explore a little if you seriously can only name 4.

Heck just between the albums Highway to hell and Back in black there are about 20 songs worth having

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well they have been around since the 70's.....

You need to explore a little if you seriously can only name 4.

Heck just between the albums Highway to hell and Back in black there are about 20 songs worth having

Yeah but every song is like the same 3 chords. I mean I like AC/DC but 113 songs?! 

My thoughts on AC/DC are that they simply know how to absolutely rock like few other bands, but they are limited in terms of musicianship. They have their awesome moments but wouldn't come come close to cracking my list of top classic rock bands. However, I also like a lot of punk rock. Bands like the Ramones limit themselves even further in terms of actual music, but are still fun (and often the raw simplicity is what actually makes it good).

• Plus1 1

I'm trying my hardest to remember that this is a "favorite" poll, not a "best" poll, and that musicianship isn't necessarily the end-all, be-all metric. I have a ton of AC/DC, and a ton of Foo Fighters, and I tend to enjoy Foo just a bit more, but if we take musicianship into account, Foo would blow AC/DC out of the water. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, GSG said:

Yeah but every song is like the same 3 chords. I mean I like AC/DC but 113 songs?! 

Yeah but THOSE 3 chords....:lol:

I realize 98% of their stuff sounds pretty much the same. My favorites are their really bluesy stuff and those tend to not sound identical. Night Prowler, Boogie Man, Ride On, Stormy May Day, The Jack... Plus their intros and riffs are awesome.  And like Ulty said, they just know how to Rock. It may be simple musically but I like it.

TBH I can’t even begin to compare them to a band like the Foo Fighters. I know 3 of their songs and haven’t even heard any others. I’ve been ruining my hearing with AC/DC for over 40 years.