2020 Adjusted Big Ten Schedule and Bowl Season

I think ISU would have no problems beating CC, but Cincinnati would be a dog fight.  ISU was my pandemic team because the Huskers weren't playing.  I have watched every game.  They would easily beat the Ragin Cajuns in a rematch.  ISU looked like NU against Illinois in that game.  ISU has a good QB and a great RB.  Their D has gotten tough.  Can they beat OU again?  We will have to see.  

12 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

They would easily beat the Ragin Cajuns in a rematch. 

If I understand correctly, the logic is:

ISU would beat Louisiana in a rematch, thus ignore the early loss.  However, pay attention to ISU's wins, as without a doubt they have no chance of losing those games in rematch.

While I respect that teams do improve/decline during the season, all we go can by is when they played.  When they played Louisiana, they lost.  Not only that, they lost twice.  Would they hammer the other team that beat them this season if they had a rematch?

ISU lost _two_ games.  In a season with less than the standard 12.  To me that is a fatal flaw as far as making the playoff.

If instead, you want to make the playoff be 8 teams, with each P5 champion guaranteed a slot, then if they win the Big XII title game, they are in.  But putting them in the top 4 in a very chaotic beauty contest?  No, I don't think they deserve that. If they only had one loss, I think the argument would be stronger, but still, losing to a Sun Belt team? 

• Plus1 5

I guess I know there is no chance of them being in the top 4, nor should they be.  It really is a P-3 this year.  Actually you would have to work hard to tell me the Pac-12 should be involved in the last few years as well.  I am purely saying that it is really hard for the Sunbelt conference to convince me they deserve a seat at the top 4.  They teams in the top 4 now, are the top 4.  

As far as I am concerned the P-4 or 5 should just break away.  They will never allow the others to be part of it anyway.  Any of those teams can beat a P-4/5 in a one game senerio, but could never survive in a P-4/5 conference.

12 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I guess I know there is no chance of them being in the top 4, nor should they be.  It really is a P-3 this year.  Actually you would have to work hard to tell me the Pac-12 should be involved in the last few years as well.  I am purely saying that it is really hard for the Sunbelt conference to convince me they deserve a seat at the top 4.  They teams in the top 4 now, are the top 4.  

As far as I am concerned the P-4 or 5 should just break away.  They will never allow the others to be part of it anyway.  Any of those teams can beat a P-4/5 in a one game senerio, but could never survive in a P-4/5 conference.

Or they can just run the playoff like all the other divisions. The fact that over half the teams in the FBS don't have a shot at the title before a game is played is stupid. Shorten the season to 11 games and allow all conferences to get a team in the playoff with some at large teams as well. This will help level the playing field. Of course this would cause schools to lose gate money with less guaranteed games, but it would give everyone access to the championships. The current system helps schools like OSU, but I would give that up in an instant if it meant a more level playing field. 

• Plus1 2

They will never run a playoff larger than 8 schools.  You don't need to in FBS.  Conferences play each other.  In D-3 and D-2 don't.  In D-3 more than half of the schools don't belong in the playoff either.  My son plays at U of Rochester.  Their conference isn't good enough to have their representivie belong in the national playoffs.  They get crushed every year.  

My big thing is that I want every game to count.  Every game to feel like a playoff.  To the point of ISU, yest they were essentially eliminated because of 2 loses.  I want the season to mean something.  In the NFL, teams will rest their starters the last weekend if they are in.  The NBA?  They rest guys all of the time.  I don't want CFB to turn into that.  I enjoy the arguements and the discussions.  It is what makes the sport and message boards.  How many years can your argue more than 4-6 teams in the playoffs?  Teams that have a resume to be there?

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

They will never run a playoff larger than 8 schools.  You don't need to in FBS.  Conferences play each other.  In D-3 and D-2 don't.  In D-3 more than half of the schools don't belong in the playoff either.  My son plays at U of Rochester.  Their conference isn't good enough to have their representivie belong in the national playoffs.  They get crushed every year.  

My big thing is that I want every game to count.  Every game to feel like a playoff.  To the point of ISU, yest they were essentially eliminated because of 2 loses.  I want the season to mean something.  In the NFL, teams will rest their starters the last weekend if they are in.  The NBA?  They rest guys all of the time.  I don't want CFB to turn into that.  I enjoy the arguements and the discussions.  It is what makes the sport and message boards.  How many years can your argue more than 4-6 teams in the playoffs?  Teams that have a resume to be there?

I get the argument but D3 is much larger than the other divisions and the schools that want to compete can and do. The schools that don't want to really compete really don't put forth the resources to truly compete. I have been around D3 for a while now so I kind of understand it (worked at a D3 school and went to a D3 school that has won a lot of football games and NCs over the last 30 years ). The bad part is, if you are outside the P5, you don't have a shot. Even if you put in all the resources you possible could, you still don't have a shot. Every game matters for only a few teams.

35 minutes ago, jaws said:

I get the argument but D3 is much larger than the other divisions and the schools that want to compete can and do. The schools that don't want to really compete really don't put forth the resources to truly compete. I have been around D3 for a while now so I kind of understand it (worked at a D3 school and went to a D3 school that has won a lot of football games and NCs over the last 30 years ). The bad part is, if you are outside the P5, you don't have a shot. Even if you put in all the resources you possible could, you still don't have a shot. Every game matters for only a few teams.

This is why, in my opinion,  two things should happen.

1. Split the divisions,  P5 and the rest.  It will make the other division much more interesting for all involved.  I would watch the G5 playoffs for sure.

2. Expand to 16 teams and put a cap on 4/5 star recruits per team.  Folks say that their are only 4 or 5 teams that deserve to get in, they're correct but that fact is a self fulfilling prophecy.  Kids only want to go to those schools and it won't get better until things change.

The NFL playoffs are so good because of parity. A wild card team can win, and have won, Super Bowls.  Keeping a 4 team playoff and allowing a few schools to take all recruits will kill any remaining parity and ruin the product. I am already so bored watching Clemson play Alabama that I barely pay attention anymore. Something needs to change or the trend of lower attendance, less viewers will only continue.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

2. Expand to 16 teams and put a cap on 4/5 star recruits per team.  Folks say that their are only 4 or 5 teams that deserve to get in, they're correct but that fact is a self fulfilling prophecy.  Kids only want to go to those schools and it won't get better until things change.

??  So you are suggesting that we tell kids where they can, and can't go play football...Based on subjective rankings by various web sites that are in this business solely to make money.  I'm sure that would work great...

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

??  So you are suggesting that we tell kids where they can, and can't go play football...Based on subjective rankings by various web sites that are in this business solely to make money.  I'm sure that would work great...

Excuse Me What GIF by One Chicago

Got a better idea? Do you enjoy the same 3 teams winning every year since the playoff started? I sure don't.  

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Got a better idea? Do you enjoy the same 3 teams winning every year since the playoff started? I sure don't.  

Last year's champion had never been in the playoff before.  Alabama, who has the most combined 4 and 5 star players over the last 10 years, didn't even make the playoff last year.  Yes, Clemson has been in the playoff 5 consecutive years.  Guess what- Clemson isn't even in the top 10 for combined 4 and 5 stars over the last 10 years. 

Now here are some teams that have been- Florida State comes in at #3 with a combined 132 4 and 5 stars.  How about Texas who also makes the top 10 with 145 4 and 5 star players.  Or how about #5 on the list - they haven't won a championship since 1980 (Georgia).  Closer to home you say - How about Michigan who also makes the top 10 with 120 combined 4 and 5 star players.  Why don't these teams win the championship more regularly? 

My better idea?  Hire the right coach and give them time to develop their players and their system.  I believe we are on that path.  No way for us as fans to know if Scott will lead us where we want to go but we have to give him the opportunity, and the time, to do so.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1