UNL President: B1G Football Announcement To Be Made Tonight

seaofred92

scrolling through Twitter...I learned that Barry Alvarez chairs the return to competition committee for the Council of Presidents/Chancellors...now, I'm not suggesting that Alvarez has a vendetta against us, but if that is your interpretation of what I am saying, I cannot help that.  The COP/C was set to make an announcement and hasn't.  So far, that seems to be what we know.

28 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

scrolling through Twitter...I learned that Barry Alvarez chairs the return to competition committee for the Council of Presidents/Chancellors...now, I'm not suggesting that Alvarez has a vendetta against us, but if that is your interpretation of what I am saying, I cannot help that.  The COP/C was set to make an announcement and hasn't.  So far, that seems to be what we know.

From earlier today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/09/15/college-football-wisconsin-chancellor-addresses-big-ten-return-talk/5806021002/

Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank told a U.S. Senate committee hearing Tuesday that the conference will not try to plan a delayed season until it has answers to the health questions that prompted the postponement.

And if Big Ten presidents do vote to change their course, she said: “Your first question should be, ‘What's changed?’ ”

I think everyone following this is going to get whiplash at some point.

So did the Chancellors overrule the Presidents on releasing a decision today?  Did Carter try to start the ball rolling by intentionally saying his hot mic "accident"? Will Rutgers run away and get married?

Tune in tomorrow on the next episode of "As The Big Ten Turns"

Edit (to add quote I forgot to include from article)

Blank responded by discussing issues related to testing, tracing and myocarditis that prompted the Big Ten’s presidents and chancellors to postpone fall sports. “Until we have answers to that, we will keep our season postponed,” Blank said. “Once we have answers to those issues and … ways to deal with them effectively, we will try to plan a delayed season.”

I suppose those answers could come tomorrow, but to me this looks like we won't hear a decision soon.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

From earlier today: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2020/09/15/college-football-wisconsin-chancellor-addresses-big-ten-return-talk/5806021002/

I think everyone following this is going to get whiplash at some point.

So did the Chancellors overrule the Presidents on releasing a decision today?  Did Carter try to start the ball rolling by intentionally saying his hot mic "accident"? Will Rutgers run away and get married?

Tune in tomorrow on the next episode of "As The Big Ten Turns"

The article you linked adds yet another log to the fire. Is this retaliation for Carter not being able to control his mouth?  or is it something different?  I really don't understand why Wisconsin hates (or seems to), we give them a great scrimmage every year before they play the Buckeyes.

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

The article you linked adds yet another log to the fire. Is this retaliation for Carter not being able to control his mouth?  or is it something different?  I really don't understand why Wisconsin hates (or seems to), we give them a great scrimmage every year before they play the Buckeyes.

The "unity" of the Big Ten, which they have cultivated for 100 years, is basically illusory.  This may be the first time that internal conflict within the conference on an issue has been exposed so obviously. 

People want to hate on Warren (and he has been somewhat of a buffoon during this), but he is (was?) simply the mouthpiece.  At this point we are seeing things peeled back some to the President/Chancellor level, with some State Governors thrown in for good measure.  The fact that there was a hearing before the Senate regarding the playing of Big Ten football this fall is just crazy.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Rochelobe said:

The "unity" of the Big Ten, which they have cultivated for 100 years, is basically illusory.  This may be the first time that internal conflict within the conference on an issue has been exposed so obviously. 

People want to hate on Warren (and he has been somewhat of a buffoon during this), but he is (was?) simply the mouthpiece.  At this point we are seeing things peeled back some to the President/Chancellor level, with some State Governors thrown in for good measure.  The fact that there was a hearing before the Senate regarding the playing of Big Ten football this fall is just crazy.

Agree 100%.  But the new kid on the block need not carry the torch.  Maybe not the "newest kid" but still new nonetheless.  The conference is the richest in the country.  Warren is no Delaney for sure, but I don't think for a minute that the botched announcements two months ago were his doing.  He was the fall guy.  The COP/P has run this conference forever.  In case you aren't aware, it was, initially, the "Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives."  It is nothing without some recall of the history and tradition and we should have some degree of respect for that.  I acknowledge things change, and indeed, the conference has changed many times since the University of Chicago was a member...but the COP/P runs this show. 

I think the Senate meeting, as stupid as it sounds, was a plea for help in response to the "attempted unionization" (for lack of a better term) by several players seeking to profit from name/likeness, etc.  They were seeking antitrust exemption and limitations on coach salaries.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Apparently the idea is to finish before the playoff, but would the playoff committee even consider a team that's only played eight games? I mean there's been years when a contender being in a conference without a championship game was enough to eliminate them. And if the Big Ten is effectively going to eliminate itself from contention like that, then they might as well not stop at eight games...

With the other conferences playing 10 season games max, with numerous cancellations already taken place, I don’t think the Big Ten teams only having 8 games will be an issue.

The Playoff Committee announced last week that their instructions are to select the 4 best teams for the playoff, regardless the number of games played. If we take them at their word, that also would make the 8 game schedule less of an issue. In fact, I think it was this announcement by the CFP committee last week emboldened Ohio State to push for an October start for the Big Ten season. Ohio State could have the best team in college football, they want to try everything they can to get into that playoff. 

• Fire 1