It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We make more money via the BTN contract/revenue sharing than we've ever made before. Sure, ticket revenue is going to suck to lose but there's still a pandemic out there. Kind of a pesky problem.

I understand that the Big Ten normally makes a profit to share amongst its members but as of today is financially insolvent (upside down).  If Big Ten has a loss for the year, then there is no money to distribute.  Without NU ticket $ and little or no Big Ten $ coming, I am afraid all NU fb is getting is expense to put on games for the sake of playing and pouring the TV money down the Big Ten drain.  

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If the NCAA allowed JD Spielman to transfer and play immediately this year with all the obstacles they would have had to ignore, there is no legit reason they should block these players.

But that's presuming they still want to play. If these guys are first or second round NFL guys, maybe they don't play an abbreviated season and focus on the NFL draft.

Speaking of transfers I wonder if our new transfers can get eligible this year. Curious about Ezra Miller and Oliver Martin.

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I understand that the Big Ten normally makes a profit to share amongst its members but as of today is financially insolvent (upside down).  If Big Ten has a loss for the year, then there is no money to distribute.  Without NU ticket $ and little or no Big Ten $ coming, I am afraid all NU fb is getting is expense to put on games for the sake of playing and pouring the TV money down the Big Ten drain.  

The Big Ten will still get a lot of TV revenue from its partners for the year.  The big reason for the 8-game conference schedule is to have inventory for the Big Ten TV partners.  NU may not get as much $ from the TV partners, but this schedule will enable all of the conference teams to get a good percentage of the original TV contract.  

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How do you spell 'A-hole"  I think this writer's name will do just fine  - a  Snooty,   NW U grad/instructor.   

Quoted in part below, she states this is the darkest day in the conferences history and blames it on the "Nebraska -ization" of the B1G which she then links to the Trump-ization of the B1G.  Basically wrapping us with the Trump flag.   She also blames some loud mouthed coaches - a not so veiled attack on Frost and Daley.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/09/16/big-ten-football-decision-marks-darkest-day/5793238002/

The writer sounds mentally disturbed. Deranged.

• Fire 2

52 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Does NU get to televise its own games or are we stuck with giving Big Ten all the money?   The Big Ten is a blackhole for money now so without tickets, the loss is still massive.   I hope this is positive but I am afraid we are out of the frying pan and into the fire.  ugh 

It would be stupid for Nebraska to try to televise it themselves even if they are allowed too.....which they aren't.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Big Ten will still get a lot of TV revenue from its partners for the year.  The big reason for the 8-game conference schedule is to have inventory for the Big Ten TV partners.  NU may not get as much $ from the TV partners, but this schedule will enable all of the conference teams to get a good percentage of the original TV contract.  

I hope youre right.  But we went from having about 111 games in June to now 63 plus 1 playoff (?) if we by chance successfully play them all and OSU gets in. We defaulted on a bunch of games already concelled Sept thru Oct 17.  The alternate games, if they happen, are going to be sketchy as far as TV interest goes as basically any team with a loss is out of the playoff talk.  Who will pay for many games when bowls are gone and championships evaporate.  ?  What will networks actually pay now?  And Dec is BB and NFL time.  Idk but would Big Ten get 50% of normal $$?   

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How do you spell 'A-hole"  I think this writer's name will do just fine  - a  Snooty,   NW U grad/instructor.   

Quoted in part below, she states this is the darkest day in the conferences history and blames it on the "Nebraska -ization" of the B1G which she then links to the Trump-ization of the B1G.  Basically wrapping us with the Trump flag.   She also blames some loud mouthed coaches - a not so veiled attack on Frost and Daley.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/09/16/big-ten-football-decision-marks-darkest-day/5793238002/

Looks like I'm gonna be getting a lot of use out of this today...

cdilUhQ.jpg

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It would be stupid for Nebraska to try to televise it themselves even if they are allowed too.....which they aren't.

Pay per view would get season ticket holders $$.  Will Big Ten actually carry all NU games?   Idk as I dont get BTN here in NY.

I expect Big Ten revenues to drop 300 million this year.  Just an estimate based on all the damage done so far.  Thats IF they have fb as proposed.  I doubt it happens - maybe get half the games in at most.   

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I hope youre right.  But we went from having about 111 games in June to now 63 plus 1 playoff (?) if we by chance successfully play them all and OSU gets in. We defaulted on a bunch of games already concelled Sept thru Oct 17.  The alternate games, if they happen, are going to be sketchy as far as TV interest goes as basically any team with a loss is out of the playoff talk.  Who will pay for many games when bowls are gone and championships evaporate.  ?  What will networks actually pay now?  And Dec is BB and NFL time.  Idk but would Big Ten get 50% of normal $$?   

The Big Ten TV contracts are already in place for this season (and well into the future).  The Big Ten isn't going to receive more or less $ based on TV interest of the teams.  For this year, I assume the Big Ten will receive a pro-rata portion of the TV revenue from its partners, based on % of games played.  So, if the Big Ten game inventory drops by 30%, then the teams will no receive 30% less revenue from the Big Ten TV contract for the 2020-21 academic year.

• Plus1 2