It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

28 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

How do you spell 'A-hole"  I think this writer's name will do just fine  - a  Snooty,   NW U grad/instructor.   

Quoted in part below, she states this is the darkest day in the conferences history and blames it on the "Nebraska -ization" of the B1G which she then links to the Trump-ization of the B1G.  Basically wrapping us with the Trump flag.   She also blames some loud mouthed coaches - a not so veiled attack on Frost and Daley.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/09/16/big-ten-football-decision-marks-darkest-day/5793238002/

Not surprised. I know people like this. I choose to avoid them. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, CAHusker said:

I have never really gave Northwestern a thought, I just knew it was an excellent educational institution with a football coach I respect.  I am slowly starting to despise some of these pompous jackasses.    

Northwestern has a well-respected journalism school. They've turned out a lot of the top sports journalists in the country, including this woman.

None of them seem to have much respect for Nebraska, and they don't spend a lot of time trying to hide it. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, knapplc said:

Northwestern has a well-respected journalism school. They've turned out a lot of the top sports journalists in the country, including this woman.

None of them seem to have much respect for Nebraska, and they don't spend a lot of time trying to hide it. 

Northwestern grads were butt hurt when Nebraska joined the Big Ten because they felt that NU (not Northwestern) didn't have the academic standing that the rest of the Big Ten schools do.  They felt that NU was cheapening the Big Ten based solely on athletics.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Big Ten TV networks will televise all of the Big Ten games.  If NU isn't picked up to play on the FOX networks or ESPN networks, NU will have the game televised by the BTN.

So, if u know, how many actual BTN subscribers in Nebraska and or nationally?   How many have dropped them?    Will millions now sign up?   

The unfortunate part about that article is that really, Nebraska's claim was that we had an actual scientific grounding that said football could be played safely in regards to COVID-19.

So to leave that part out and not dissect it as a variable is not only bad journalism but just a disingenuous take on the reality of the situation. And that's frustrating.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So, if u know, how many actual BTN subscribers in Nebraska and or nationally?   How many have dropped them?    Will millions now sign up?   

Just now, knapplc said:

Before you ask anyone to answer you need to support the premise that people recently dropped the BTN. 

Also I thought BTN was included in all of the basic cable packages in Nebraska, so I doubt many people dropped it. And even if they did, if you're proposing PPV -  people would rather pick BTN back up via Sling or something which is less per month than a single PPV game. Even if they did drop BTN, they will pick it back up as readily if not more so than paying for PPV. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

So, if u know, how BTN subscribers in Nebraska and or nationally?   How many have dropped them?  

As of 2014, the BTN had 60 million subscribers. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Network#:~:text=Big Ten Network is carried,of Maryland to the conference.  I don't know if that number has increased or decreased the past few years.  I also don't know what the Cable/Satellite/Online providers pay the Big Ten to carry BTN.

Either way, the Big Ten conference gets a ton money from ESPN and FOX.  The Big Ten's contract with ESPN and FOX is worth $2.64 Billion (with a B) over 6 years.  That $ on an annual basis for 14 teams is $31 million per team.  That $ may be reduced to reduced inventory, that's still a big chunk of $ for NU.

8 minutes ago, CAHusker said:

I have never really gave Northwestern a thought, I just knew it was an excellent educational institution with a football coach I respect.  I am slowly starting to despise some of these pompous jackasses.    

I happen to think we can and should play sports as long as the necessary steps are taken. If we're smart about this stuff, we can be getting back a lot more of our livelihood. But America hasn't been particularly smart so far, so when someone voices doubts about attempts to rush back to normalcy, I don't consider them pompous or deranged.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, and we really hate that nuanced s#!t. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Before you ask anyone to answer you need to support the premise that people recently dropped the BTN. 

I am not asserting that many have but there have been much discussion on this board about BTN not broadcasting any worthwhile stuff and wont be until late Oct.  And I have read quite a few stories about declining TV viewership nationally as many are cutting the cable and watching Netflix and etc.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am not asserting that many have but there have been much discussion on this board about BTN not broadcasting any worthwhile stuff and wont be until late Oct.  And I have read quite a few stories about declining TV viewership nationally as many are cutting the cable and watching Netflix and etc.  

The Big Ten isn't losing $ from the BTN, and I would guess that the revenues have been pretty steady in recent years.  While the cable/satellite/internet TV viewers are dropping, the BTN can get more $ from the TV providers because live events bring in the most viewers for the TV providers.

Either way, Nebraska doesn't have the ability to televise their football games on their own.  The TV rights to these games are owned by the Big Ten and the Big Ten TV partners.  Nebraska gave up the ability to televise their own games when they joined the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1