It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I am not asserting that many have but there have been much discussion on this board about BTN not broadcasting any worthwhile stuff and wont be until late Oct.  And I have read quite a few stories about declining TV viewership nationally as many are cutting the cable and watching Netflix and etc.  

Are you trying, in a roundabout way, to continue to push the idea that we're better off leaving the Big Ten? Because if so, you'd have to show where we would go that wouldn't have the same problems with people cutting the cord. 

The BTN is still a better revenue-generating network than anything the BIG XII might offer. We're not joining either the PAC-12, the SEC or the ACC, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If the NCAA allowed JD Spielman to transfer and play immediately this year with all the obstacles they would have had to ignore, there is no legit reason they should block these players.

But that's presuming they still want to play. If these guys are first or second round NFL guys, maybe they don't play an abbreviated season and focus on the NFL draft.

I don't think they'll have any issues if they opted in either.  I'm more curious to see who comes back if any of them do.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I happen to think we can and should play sports as long as the necessary steps are taken. If we're smart about this stuff, we can be getting back a lot more of our livelihood. But America hasn't been particularly smart so far, so when someone voices doubts about attempts to rush back to normalcy, I don't consider them pompous or deranged.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, and we really hate that nuanced s#!t. 

Fair enough.  I get a little defensive when people generalize an ideology on an organization or group of people.  Was this statement really necessary?  "This is the Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten. Who would have thought that when Nebraska and Ohio State and a few of the league’s other squeakiest wheels started whining about missing out on football, the Big Ten presidents would buckle rather than stand up to them?"  This doesn't fit the definition of pompous?  

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

As I feared.  NU gets almost nothing for playing 9 FB games in 2020 under this plan UNLESS Big Ten makes a profit.  From 111 BIg Ten games down to about 65 IF all goes well. 

Maybe I am missing something but how can the Big Ten sell 65% as many games and not lose 35% of its revenues?  It also loses the other sports. 

You realize every program in this country is going to take a huge fiscal hit because of this virus, right?

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Are you trying, in a roundabout way, to continue to push the idea that we're better off leaving the Big Ten? Because if so, you'd have to show where we would go that wouldn't have the same problems with people cutting the cord. 

The BTN is still a better revenue-generating network than anything the BIG XII might offer. We're not joining either the PAC-12, the SEC or the ACC, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hell No!   I am not suggesting that.  But I am trying to understand why NU and Iowa and OSU voted for this plan?   We heard there were some others wanting to play. Only needed 9 - not 14.  Those strong NO voters didnt cave in - something is wrong with this picture. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, CAHusker said:

Fair enough.  I get a little defensive when people generalize an ideology on an organization or group of people.  Was this statement really necessary?  "This is the Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten. Who would have thought that when Nebraska and Ohio State and a few of the league’s other squeakiest wheels started whining about missing out on football, the Big Ten presidents would buckle rather than stand up to them?"  This doesn't fit the definition of pompous?  

It's terribly pompous. And what, exactly, is "The Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten?" That's just some dig she threw in there with no explanation. The whole opinion piece is just her venting her spleen. She decided a while ago she wasn't even going to watch college football this year on moral grounds because of Covid. 

OK, whatever, but in that intervening time we've had some scientific discoveries that have helped make it safer to play. And she completely ignores that.

And the hyperbole of "this is the Big Ten's darkest day" is just asinine when you consider the scandals that have plagued this conference in the past 15 years. 

It's safe to say I'm not a fan of her take on all of this.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not like Big Ten.  

Every Pac-12 school will take a bigger hit.

Every MAC school.

Every MWC school. 

Every G5 conference.

The Big XII doesn't have the TV revenue, or the ticket sales, to cover their losses this year.

Neither does the ACC.

So, except for about 80%-85% of D1 football, I agree.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

As I feared.  NU gets almost nothing for playing 9 FB games in 2020 under this plan UNLESS Big Ten makes a profit.  From 111 BIg Ten games down to about 65 IF all goes well. 

Maybe I am missing something but how can the Big Ten sell 65% as many games and not lose 35% of its revenues?  It also loses the other sports. 

The Big Ten isn't selling individual games to TV providers.  It's not how this works.  Let me show you how the Big Ten gets TV revenue from it's TV partners.

The Big Ten has an in-place contract with ESPN & FOX, which brings in $440 million per year.  That contract televises football and basketball games. The value of that contract may be adjusted in the 2020-21 academic year due to less game inventory, but the impact is unknown at this point.

The Big Ten also sells the BTN (Big Ten Network) to cable, satellite, and online TV providers through subscriber fees.  I don't know what the exact subscriber fee BTN gets, but to make it simple, I will assume $1 per subscriber per month.  If there are 50 million BTN subscribers, that would generate $600 million (50 million X $1 per month X 12 months in a year) for the Big Ten on an annual basis.

These two TV "avenues" generate the most amount of revenue for the Big Ten Conference.  In 2018, the Big Ten Conference made profits of $759 million.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/football-big-ten-700-million-revenue-ncaa-pac-12.html  The impact of lost revenue for this year is unknown at this point.  Either way, Nebraska doesn't have the option of televising games on their own, unless the Big Ten TV networks pass on televising those games.

• Plus1 4