It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

4 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

If what was reported was accurate:

no built in bye week,  21 day waiting period if a positive test happens,  less than 5% of the team has to have tested negative,  cities in which games or universities are located have to have positivity rates of less that 7%.

It will be extremely difficult to put a season together under those guidelines.

I think there will almost certainly be games cancelled and some teams might miss multiple games, but I think the season will continue. It's part of the price of trying to play during a pandemic.

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

Most bowl games make more money off of TV revenue, not ticket sales. 

Yes, but the sponsors and cities that underwrite them and make the bowls possible definitely count on attendance (tourism, hotels, restaurants, etc) to make it financially feasible. There will be a lot of incentive for them to cancel bowl games without large crowds. Just sayin.

I really don't feel comfortable with this decision. We've already seen a player die from COVID (I know he didn't catch it on campus, but it's evidence that these players aren't as special as y'all thought), we've seen multiple games get postponed, we've seen entire units on teams go into quarantine.

Am I going to watch the games? Yeah, because I have a problem. But I really wish we just stayed strong. I think history is going to show the B1G was on the right side of this.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes, but the sponsors and cities that underwrite them and make the bowls possible definitely count on attendance (tourism, hotels, restaurants, etc) to make it financially feasible. There will be a lot of incentive for them to cancel bowl games without large crowds. Just sayin.

Most of the bowls that I think would cancel have less than 20,000 in attendance, and ticket prices are so low that most of those are locals just wanting to catch a game.

I don't think the Poulon Weed Eater Bowl brings in a lot of tourism dollars.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CAHusker said:

Fair enough.  I get a little defensive when people generalize an ideology on an organization or group of people.  Was this statement really necessary?  "This is the Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten. Who would have thought that when Nebraska and Ohio State and a few of the league’s other squeakiest wheels started whining about missing out on football, the Big Ten presidents would buckle rather than stand up to them?"  This doesn't fit the definition of pompous?  

I have no idea where she was going with "Nebraska-ization."  Best guess from this context is that she thinks Nebraska is somehow harder core and more football obsessed than other Big 10 schools -- but then she implicates the other Big 10 schools.

Now that you mention it, it is a pretty cheap and stupid swipe. 

3 minutes ago, Branno said:

I really don't feel comfortable with this decision. We've already seen a player die from COVID (I know he didn't catch it on campus, but it's evidence that these players aren't as special as y'all thought), we've seen multiple games get postponed, we've seen entire units on teams go into quarantine.

Am I going to watch the games? Yeah, because I have a problem. But I really wish we just stayed strong. I think history is going to show the B1G was on the right side of this.

Big Lebowski - quickmeme

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Branno said:

believe they changed his cause of death to something else.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1