It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Last night I had ESPN on in the back ground while I was doing something.  I didn't catch who was on, but they started talking about Big Ten's decision to play.  They said something about OSU being able to play with a good team and "making Nebraska happy so they don't leave the conference".  When he mentioned Nebraska, it was almost in disgust.

It just pissed me off.

Pathetic to see guys working for ESPN that are so poorly informed. We were never leaving, just wanted to play football this season. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, the University was pretty dang unified for about the first 8-10 years.

Not necessarily.  Osborne and Byrne butted head at times.  Osborne wanted more spending for football, while Byrne wanted to spread the wealth to the rest of the athletic department.  Plus, Osborne demanded he name his successor and not Byrne.  That led to friction between Solich and Byrne.  It's not surprising that Byrne left NU in 2002.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not necessarily.  Osborne and Byrne butted head at times.  Osborne wanted more spending for football, while Byrne wanted to spread the wealth to the rest of the athletic department.  Plus, Osborne demanded he name his successor and not Byrne.  That led to friction between Solich and Byrne.  It's not surprising that Byrne left NU in 2002.

So perhaps it is now the most unified since the days of Spanier (Chancellor)/Massengale (Pres)/Devaney (AD)/Osborne (Coach), if we are comparing to the current Green/Carter/Moos/Frost lineup.

I'm sure there was tension between those guys in some ways (probably not much between Devaney and Osborne), but it seems maybe we just didn't hear about it as much back then.  Not compared to the Bryne/Osborne,  Pederson/Everyone, Eichorst/Pelini turmoil of the more recent past (as well as Perlman).

I do remember when Spanier made the wisecrack after leaving Nebraska and starting at Penn State, saying that he now knew that in actuality the Penn State receiver in 1982 was in bounds.  What a freaking wanker.

55 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

born in 1991

You're in the same age bracket as my nephew; old enough to be a fan, but young enough to have missed out on all the good stuff. 

And you're right; this is probably the most unified we've been as a program since 1997, with a small caveat to 2008. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You're in the same age bracket as my nephew; old enough to be a fan, but young enough to have missed out on all the good stuff. 

And you're right; this is probably the most unified we've been as a program since 1997, with a small caveat to 2008. 

Yep, I vaguely remember the 1997 National championship game. But I remember the 2001 NC game/sCUm game...

• Plus1 1

The fact that some of you young bucks have remained steadfast fans even though you largely missed the glory years says...something. I really hope that you have an opportunity to see the Huskers become truly good again at some point so your loyalty can be rewarded. 

I was very lucky to be in high school and college between 1993-2001 and was able to celebrate all of the greatest moments in my youth, but in the process became spoiled. Nothing else will ever compare. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 4