It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

51 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The fact that some of you young bucks have remained steadfast fans even though you largely missed the glory years says...something. I really hope that you have an opportunity to see the Huskers become truly good again at some point so your loyalty can be rewarded. 

I was very lucky to be in high school and college between 1993-2001 and was able to celebrate all of the greatest moments in my youth, but in the process became spoiled. Nothing else will ever compare. 

My son is a Junior at UNL. When he started, Frost was hired.  I told him, you have a chance to see something really special while you're at UNL and get to go to so many home games and experience college life on football Saturday.

Well...two 4 win seasons and this s#!t show later.......he's pretty frustrated.  He's still a fan, but it's frustrating that the first 3 years of Frost have gone like this.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm 30, got to love being in this group of husker fans. Brought up being taught Nebraska destroys anyone in our path. As soon as we start to understand football, comes the 20 years of frustration. 

I'm the same age and share the same woes :lol:.

I didn't really start to care about the Huskers until about 1997. I "cared" before that, but I remember playing with Hot Wheels during the '95 title game. I was 6 or 7. Attention span just wasn't there.

I worry more for anybody born basically around 2000 or even the late 90's. That's a group of young fans that have never personally shared in Nebraska success, but I'd actually love to hear more of their perspectives. On the surface it seems that a lot of them view Husker football as more of a social experience... more so than at any point in the last four or five decades. They don't appear to collectively have the same level of interest or passion as previous generations but I don't blame them at all for that.

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You're in the same age bracket as my nephew; old enough to be a fan, but young enough to have missed out on all the good stuff. 

And you're right; this is probably the most unified we've been as a program since 1997, with a small caveat to 2008. 

1999-2001 were pretty great times. Eric Crouch was the toast of the state and could get sandwiches in any diner from Omaha to Fort Robinson.

Going into the 2006 season after beating down Colorado and winning an exciting Alamo Bowl against Michigan, we had a chance to "Restore the Order" but blew it against USC, Texas, and Oklahoma.

2010 was similar to 2006 but with bigger aspirations as we were Top 5 and favored against an unranked Texas but the offense was wound so tight that we dropped ball after ball on our way to a disappointing season.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well...two 4 win seasons and this s#!t show later.......he's pretty frustrated.  He's still a fan, but it's frustrating that the first 3 years of Frost have gone like this.

Hey now, we won 5 last year.

xaBLSr.gif

In all seriousness,  I get it more than most what he's experiencing.  My freshman year was 2003, and then I got 3 years of Callahan. I hope your son gets at least one excellent season in his last two.

On 9/16/2020 at 5:53 PM, Branno said:

I really don't feel comfortable with this decision. We've already seen a player die from COVID (I know he didn't catch it on campus, but it's evidence that these players aren't as special as y'all thought), we've seen multiple games get postponed, we've seen entire units on teams go into quarantine.

Am I going to watch the games? Yeah, because I have a problem. But I really wish we just stayed strong. I think history is going to show the B1G was on the right side of this.

#KeepAustinWeird
giphy.gif

• Plus1 2

The general idea, imo, to delaying until spring was to do two basic things:

1.   Reduce risk of covid 19 infections until AFTER the epidemic subsided (immunity, vaccines, fewer cases,  etc) for players, students, fans, coaches, communities at large, etal. 

2.   Cut fiscal loss and risks to schools and Big Ten by playing when games could be rescheduled and played normally. 

Now, the plan is to delay 7 weeks from orig date, player fewer games, spend millions on testing and more medical stuff that likely is mostly useless, have no fans at all to cut revenues as much as possible, reduce home games for all Big Ten teams, scramble to find TV times and find a paying audience therefore. and minimize any post season opportunities and maximize chances of bad waether conditions, reduce or eliminate Big Ten recruiting abilities, and maximize the inconvenience and stress on all parties involved, and leave a very unfavorable impression on Big Ten, schools, players and athletics in general, and create potential Title 9 risks.  

Yes, I am praying for the team to play and do well.  But, no I am not optimistic.   

Husker Football needs a good season (more than three or four games) that put us back in a positive competitive light nationally and players have fun doing it.  They are creating memories surely!  Hope things work out happily for them. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The general idea, imo, to delaying until spring was to do two basic things:

1.   Reduce risk of covid 19 infections until AFTER the epidemic subsided (immunity, vaccines, fewer cases,  etc) for players, students, fans, coaches, communities at large, etal. 

2.   Cut fiscal loss and risks to schools and Big Ten by playing when games could be rescheduled and played normally. 

Now, the plan is to delay 7 weeks from orig date, player fewer games, spend millions on testing and more medical stuff that likely is mostly useless, have no fans at all to cut revenues as much as possible, reduce home games for all Big Ten teams, scramble to find TV times and find a paying audience therefore. and minimize any post season opportunities and maximize chances of bad waether conditions, reduce or eliminate Big Ten recruiting abilities, and maximize the inconvenience and stress on all parties involved, and leave a very unfavorable impression on Big Ten, schools, players and athletics in general, and create potential Title 9 risks.  

Yes, I am praying for the team to play and do well.  But, no I am not optimistic.   

Husker Football needs a good season (more than three or four games) that put us back in a positive competitive light nationally and players have fun doing it.  They are creating memories surely!  Hope things work out happily for them. 

You do realize that this isn't about us fans anymore right? This is about doing the right thing for the KIDS(students) and their spiritual/mental well being. I don't care if we lose every single game by blowouts. I support Nebraska for the hard work they put in, not because they or the Big Ten owe me anything. If they KIDS get enjoyment while they play, that's all I care about at this point. To me, it's not about our fervent idolatry, in pursuit of the reclamation of our past glories; and the prominence therein. I care more about having the right administration officials at UNL. This was the formula and foundation of Husker Football that had been lacking for over 20 years.  Loyalty, continuity, and communication.  I think having our top university officials and coaches profess their solidarity to play football on a national stage, can only help erase the 20 years of our Husker program having a lack of IDENTITY and CULTURE regardless how the season goes.  I know with the right pieces in place, the return to glory is only a matter of time.  Watching it play out in real time, is better than a binge watching session of your favorite show. Knowing I will be alive when it happens, is like the night before Christmas happening every day until it does happen.
:3DN:
giphy.gif

• Fire 2
4 hours ago, Alamo City Husker said:

You do realize that this isn't about us fans anymore right? This is about doing the right thing for the KIDS(students) and their spiritual/mental well being. I don't care if we lose every single game by blowouts. I support Nebraska for the hard work they put in, not because they or the Big Ten owe me anything. If they KIDS get enjoyment while they play, that's all I care about at this point. To me, it's not about our fervent idolatry, in pursuit of the reclamation of our past glories; and the prominence therein. I care more about having the right administration officials at UNL. This was the formula and foundation of Husker Football that had been lacking for over 20 years.  Loyalty, continuity, and communication.  I think having our top university officials and coaches profess their solidarity to play football on a national stage, can only help erase the 20 years of our Husker program having a lack of IDENTITY and CULTURE regardless how the season goes.  I know with the right pieces in place, the return to glory is only a matter of time.  Watching it play out in real time, is better than a binge watching session of your favorite show. Knowing I will be alive when it happens, is like the night before Christmas happening every day until it does happen.
:3DN:
giphy.gif

Well stated, thank you for pointing this out.

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If we can play the majority of our nine games this will be a stepping stone season for a bunch of redshirt freshmen & sophomores to set us up for next season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 9/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, hskrfan4life said:

Yep, I vaguely remember the 1997 National championship game. But I remember the 2001 NC game/sCUm game...

Ha. You’re oldest memory almost exactly coincides with the same time I started wanting to not remember Nebraska football.  The date was November 23, 2001.....mid to late afternoon as I was sitting on the west side of Folsom field at about the north 20 yard line. :lol:  No, I wasn’t smiling or laughing at the time.

• Plus1 2