Jump to content


It's Official. We're Back.


knapplc

Recommended Posts


16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

Most of the bowls that I think would cancel have less than 20,000 in attendance, and ticket prices are so low that most of those are locals just wanting to catch a game.

 

I don't think the Poulon Weed Eater Bowl brings in a lot of tourism dollars.


Yeah, I don’t know how some of those smaller bowls keep it going in good years. Has to be the TV dollars like you originally said. But I do think no attendance jeopardizes some of middle bowls. The New Years bowls prob make it on television alone but some in the Holiday bowl range I would think the lack of tourism would really hurt. IDK.

Link to comment
35 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:


Yeah, I don’t know how some of those smaller bowls keep it going in good years. Has to be the TV dollars like you originally said. But I do think no attendance jeopardizes some of middle bowls. The New Years bowls prob make it on television alone but some in the Holiday bowl range I would think the lack of tourism would really hurt. IDK.

ESPN Events own and operate 15-20 postseason bowl games, along with several opening season games. The sole reason these games exist is to provide ESPN programming after the end of the college regular season and the holiday season at the end of the calendar year.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_Events

 

The New Year’s Six and a few others probably make a good amount of revenue from ticket sales, but the majority of their $ is from the TV rights for those games. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

1 hour ago, Branno said:

I really don't feel comfortable with this decision. We've already seen a player die from COVID (I know he didn't catch it on campus, but it's evidence that these players aren't as special as y'all thought), we've seen multiple games get postponed, we've seen entire units on teams go into quarantine.

 

Am I going to watch the games? Yeah, because I have a problem. But I really wish we just stayed strong. I think history is going to show the B1G was on the right side of this.

I think the one positive is that the Big Ten sounds like they will be pretty strict with the immediate testing along with the 21 day mandatory exclusion period.  Obviously there is still a chance one or more players could get seriously ill or die due to COVID, but at least they seem to have mitigated the chaos of contact tracing, which seems almost impossible with a large population of college students.  In that respect the Big Ten is at least leading, since the other conferences are doing the slower test returns along with contact tracing.  I think the SEC/ACC/Big XII have to think about doing the immediate testing approach as well, otherwise, they could actually have a harder time finishing their seasons than the Big Ten will have.

 

I'm like you, I will watch, but part of me is concerned about what happens if a serious COVID related issue develops (beyond asymptomatic positives that simply cause postponement/cancellation, etc.)

 

 

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Branno said:

I really don't feel comfortable with this decision. We've already seen a player die from COVID (I know he didn't catch it on campus, but it's evidence that these players aren't as special as y'all thought), we've seen multiple games get postponed, we've seen entire units on teams go into quarantine.

 

Am I going to watch the games? Yeah, because I have a problem. But I really wish we just stayed strong. I think history is going to show the B1G was on the right side of this.

Interesting take

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Rochelobe said:

I think the one positive is that the Big Ten sounds like they will be pretty strict with the immediate testing along with the 21 day mandatory exclusion period.  Obviously there is still a chance one or more players could get seriously ill or die due to COVID, but at least they seem to have mitigated the chaos of contact tracing, which seems almost impossible with a large population of college students.  In that respect the Big Ten is at least leading, since the other conferences are doing the slower test returns along with contact tracing.  I think the SEC/ACC/Big XII have to think about doing the immediate testing approach as well, otherwise, they could actually have a harder time finishing their seasons than the Big Ten will have.

 

I'm like you, I will watch, but part of me is concerned about what happens if a serious COVID related issue develops (beyond asymptomatic positives that simply cause postponement/cancellation, etc.)

 

 

The B1G gating criteria seems much stricter than what I know (which isn't much) about the other conferences.  It is quite onerous for sure.  Makes me wonder if any team can make it to the season, let alone through the season.  But, hope springs eternal.  I felt bad watching the NFL last week, but I watched.  I worry about the health and safety of all involved.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

 

I have no idea where she was going with "Nebraska-ization."  Best guess from this context is that she thinks Nebraska is somehow harder core and more football obsessed than other Big 10 schools -- but then she implicates the other Big 10 schools.

 

Now that you mention it, it is a pretty cheap and stupid swipe. 

 

I don't either, but frankly I appreciate it. Relevance! I absolutely believe our fans, state, and school do care more about football (and sports in general) than many in this conference. We're much more like a top SEC school in this regard, and I embrace it. 

Link to comment

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

 

Every Pac-12 school will take a bigger hit.

 

Every MAC school.

 

Every MWC school. 

 

Every G5 conference.

 

The Big XII doesn't have the TV revenue, or the ticket sales, to cover their losses this year.

 

Neither does the ACC.

 

So, except for about 80%-85% of D1 football, I agree.

Geesh!  The whole reason we are playing is to NOT lose money while  doing it.   We could have played empty stadium fball since 9/1.  This plan likely fails.  The losses get worse, not better but we all go down with the Big Ten together!   

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Geesh!  The whole reason we are playing is to NOT lose money while  doing it.   We could have played empty stadium fball since 9/1.  This plan likely fails.  The losses get worse, not better but we all go down with the Big Ten together!   

 

I trust Coach Frost, Bill Moos, and the rest of the Admin at the school.

  • Plus1 4
Link to comment
10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2020/09/16/big-ten-football-decision-marks-darkest-day/5793238002/

 

This is the Nebraska-ization of the Big Ten. Who would have thought that when Nebraska and Ohio State and a few of the league’s other squeakiest wheels started whining about missing out on football, the Big Ten presidents would buckle rather than stand up to them?


 

 

 

Why would anyone get butt hurt over this (as many of you have)?  I mean, why spin it when it's a fact that THIS actually happened. 

Link to comment

The Big 10 is a solid conference that benefits the University of Nebraska in any number of ways. 

 

We aren't going anywhere else, nor should we.

 

There's a bit of butthurt for Nebraska's maverick moves, and more than a little admiration.

 

We won't be punished..The people who harbor anti-Nebraska conspiracy theories pre-date the Big 10.

 

We still need to beat the other Big 10 teams on the field.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...