Schedule

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not counting on NU playing until the opening kickoff on 10/24.

If they 100% wanted to play...they would start on the 17th and there would not be a 21 day isolation for players testing positive and built in bye weeks.

This situation is more like the old "Okay, Junior, you can go to the lake with your friends this weekend IF you get an A on your math test"

Meanwhile, Junior has a 32% in math.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If they 100% wanted to play...they would start on the 17th and there would not be a 21 day isolation for players testing positive and built in bye weeks.

This situation is more like the old "Okay, Junior, you can go to the lake with your friends this weekend IF you get an A on your math test"

Meanwhile, Junior has a 32% in math.

That’s exactly what it’s like. If they really wanted to give it a chance to work out they would’ve had it start on the 10th or 17th.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

That’s exactly what it’s like. If they really wanted to give it a chance to work out they would’ve had it start on the 10th or 17th.

Exactly. But they had to adopt some dumb rules and late timeline to get the no votes to yes to be unanimous. I would rather roll with the 9 who want to play and follow the other conference lead 

it doesn’t feel like the season is setup for success 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Ziebol said:

4-4 minimum with the bonus game at the end which will match us against one of the lower teams in the east. 

I predict that team will be a 4-4 Michigan team. All the NFL players have declared for the NFL and the projected starting QB, Dylan McCaffrey, just opted out to transfer, leaving a QB who was a project and another who was a last minute take because the higher ranked recruit was  declared medically unfit to play before he ever stepped on campus. See you fellas in the +1 game. :P

• Haha 2

So, I have no inside information on what the schedule is going to be, but there's two pieces of information that we can go from to extrapolate what it might be.

The first is that the Big Ten announced it would use the original schedule, minus one conference game, for the abbreviated 8-game season. 

The second is that Bill Moos as stated that he hopes the Big Ten will allow our Iowa game to be moved to Black Friday.

That tells us they're likely our opponent the weekend of 11/28, meaning the schedule likely looks like this:

10/24 - Purdue (Lincoln)
10/31 - Northwestern (Evanston)
11/7 - Illinois (Lincoln)
11/14 - Ohio State (Columbus)
11/21 - Penn State (Lincoln)
11/28 - Iowa (Lincoln) **11/27**
12/5 - Wisconsin (Madison)
12/12 - Minnesota (Lincoln)

This is the exact schedule we had originally, minus Rutgers. As discussed earlier in the thread, that would give us the most watchable games against the most compelling teams, with the intent of driving as many eyeballs to TVs as possible.

If this is the case, that means we start the season against two teams that finished with fewer than five wins, Purdue and Northwestern, who went 4-8 and 3-9 last year. Amazingly, one of those four wins for Purdue was against us, so hopefully that's some good motivation.

Next up would be Illinois, whom we beat last year but who made a bowl game (which they lost), finishing 6-7. But Lovie Smith has the Illini trending upward, and if you recall, they hit like a ton of bricks in that game last year. We had to mount a comeback after trailing 35-24 late in the third quarter. 

Then we would hit a gauntlet of five straight teams who won 10 or more games last year. Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, who finished last season a combined 55-12. Nebraska played four of these teams last year and went 0-4, losing by an average of 37-15. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So, I have no inside information on what the schedule is going to be, but there's two pieces of information that we can go from to extrapolate what it might be.

The first is that the Big Ten announced it would use the original schedule, minus one conference game, for the abbreviated 8-game season. 

The second is that Bill Moos as stated that he hopes the Big Ten will allow our Iowa game to be moved to Black Friday.

That tells us they're likely our opponent the weekend of 11/28, meaning the schedule likely looks like this:

10/24 - Purdue (Lincoln)

This is the exact schedule we had originally, minus Rutgers. As discussed earlier in the thread, that would give us the most watchable games against the most compelling teams, with the intent of driving as many eyeballs to TVs as possible.

If this is the case, that means we start the season against two teams that finished with fewer than five wins, Purdue and Northwestern, who went 4-8 and 3-9 last year. Amazingly, one of those four wins for Purdue was against us, so hopefully that's some good motivation.

Next up would be Illinois, whom we beat last year but who made a bowl game (which they lost), finishing 6-7. But Lovie Smith has the Illini trending upward, and if you recall, they hit like a ton of bricks in that game last year. We had to mount a comeback after trailing 35-24 late in the third quarter. 

Then we would hit a gauntlet of five straight teams who won 10 or more games last year. Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Minnesota, who finished last season a combined 55-12. Nebraska played four of these teams last year and went 0-4, losing by an average of 37-15. 

I tried to start piecing together the whole schedule for the conference but the only thing I found was this article from the Lafayette (IN) Journal & Courier claiming the schedule will be based on the pre-COVID conference schedule:

WHAT'S THE SCHEDULE?

As of now, it's an eight-game regular-season model — four home, four away at campus sites — starting the weekend of Oct. 23-24. The starting date allows Big Ten teams to play eight straight weeks, leading up to the Big Ten championship game on Dec. 19. 

The schedule will be based on the original nine-game Big Ten schedule — pre-COVID-19. That means Purdue should have home games against Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and one team from the East Division. The Boilermakers are expected to play at Nebraska, Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana. The Old Oaken Bucket matchup should be a protected crossover game. 

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/2020/09/16/big-ten-football-returns-what-changed-how-purdues-schedule-look/5815658002/

I'm hoping they release them soon 

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

10/24 - Purdue (Lincoln)

So....yes...I understand and agree that we have to prove ourselves on the field before fans get too crazy....yada yada yada.

But, IF we are actually an improved team from last year, there's a chance we could be 3-0 going into the OSU game then PSU.  So...let's assume we lose both of those and are at 3-2.

We played Wisconsin very tough and very well could have won that game if we had an actual kicker that could make field goals and have kickoffs in the end zone.  We lost to Iowa by 3 points.  So, those two games seem at least winnable, but yes, we have to prove we can actually do it.

Minnesota is a wild card to me.  I think they are a program we can rise up and beat.  But, they absolutely killed us last year.

So...I see a good chance we go anywhere from 5-3 to 4-4.  And...wouldn't it be fun if we won our last 3 games and go 6-2?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

10/24 - Purdue (Lincoln)

I was feeling all excited until I read this and now I am just hoping we've improved a lot.