Schedule

When the Big Ten announced they were coming back to football in October, they said the schedule for each team would be based on the ORIGINAL Big Ten schedule. So, based on that NU was going to get Penn State at home, along with either Ohio State or Rutgers on the road. So, yes the Big Ten kinda “screwed us” with Ohio State, but it’s not surprising. It’s only a one game difference in the original Big Ten schedule.  That’s why I don’t get all the crying.

i guess there could be complaints about the order of the schedule, but I would rather get Ohio State out of the way early, and get Wisconsin with the best weather we can get.  Plus, assuming Martinez doesn’t get injured against Ohio State, he is going to be the healthiest early in the season. 

• Plus1 3
9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, agreed!

I suppose you could argue that NU is in a decent position for this game because there can be a few positives.

Obviously they win and it is a huge positive.

Also, they could lose close, 35-34 or something, that is a big positive

Or they could hold OSU to say, 17 points, that is a positive.

The only real negative is some 42-10 a$$ kicking.

I think OSU is going to be motivated to beat opponents by as much as possible, so they leave no doubt in the minds of the playoff committee. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Doesn't Ohio State often look kind of pedestrian early in the season?  I don't expect a W, but I also don't necessarily expect an a$$ whoopin'.  

I'm moreso looking forward to getting the Wisconsin money off our backs.

I think they come out swinging excited about football to come back and knowing they only have 9 games to make an impression to get into the playoff. I think an Ohio State blowout is the most likely outcome.

We play Wisconsin the week after a very physical game at Ohio State. That plus our record against them since joining the big ten 1-7? I think. I don't think this is the year we beat Wisconsin either. 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Doesn't Ohio State often look kind of pedestrian early in the season?  I don't expect a W, but I also don't necessarily expect an a$$ whoopin'.  

I'm moreso looking forward to getting the Wisconsin money off our backs.

This. If there’s any time we want tOSU, it’s at the beginning of the season. Wisky too. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Look, Nebraska will only improve by playing teams similar to them and by recruiting better. Building this takes baby steps.

I get the mentality of wanting to see where we are, but Ohio State is a team stocked full of NFL talent at nearly every position. Over our last several meetings, forcing Ohio State to even punt was a challenge. There is no growth to be had getting obliterated, they are out of our league. 

Every fan, coach, and player knows how this is going to shake out. You don't have to be a football genius to predict what happens when a team full of NFL talent plays a team without it.

I'm not delusional, I know this is in all likelihood a loss, and probably a bad one. But beating Maryland or Rutgers doesn't tell us any more or help pull us up a step. But a respectable showing against a ridiculously stacked tOSU would show us something and would infuse some much needed belief in the players. Flip side, a shellacking may harm it. But I really feel the fragile psyche of this team is behind it because of Frost. I guarantee you the coach and players aren't b!^@hing and whining about this schedule like some fans are.

I've said it before but IMO there is no difference between 4-4 or 6-2 unless and until we start competing with teams like tOSU, Wisconsin, Penn St etc. Beating patsies may feel good and look good on paper but it's an illusion. We need to get back to where this program was and belongs. We can't do that without having the opportunity to play the best teams. I won't be happy until we're winning division and conference titles. Anything less than that just doesn't matter to me. Go big (red) or go home.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'm not delusional, I know this is in all likelihood a loss, and probably a bad one. But beating Maryland or Rutgers doesn't tell us any more or help pull us up a step. But a respectable showing against a ridiculously stacked tOSU would show us something and would infuse some much needed belief in the players. Flip side, a shellacking may harm it. But I really feel the fragile psyche of this team is behind it because of Frost. I guarantee you the coach and players aren't b!^@hing and whining about this schedule like some fans are.

I've said it before but IMO there is no difference between 4-4 or 6-2 unless and until we start competing with teams like tOSU, Wisconsin, Penn St etc. Beating patsies may feel good and look good on paper but it's an illusion. We need to get back to where this program was and belongs. We can't do that without having the opportunity to play the best teams. I won't be happy until we're winning division and conference titles. Anything less than that just doesn't matter to me. Go big (red) or go home.

Our AD has been publicly whining about the schedule all morning.

We just have different perspectives. I feel Nebraska is better served playing teams equal to them, making bowl games, and selling improvement to recruits.

I also feel differently about the psyche of the team. They've mentally imploded year after year and coach after coach. I don't feel like the sense of "the wheels are coming off the wagon" has improved under Frost. It happened last year at Minnesota, Colorado and Ohio State.

But we want the same thing, let's hope we get there.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Our AD has been publicly whining about the schedule all morning.

We just have different perspectives. I feel Nebraska is better served playing teams equal to them, making bowl games, and selling improvement to recruits.

I also feel differently about the psyche of the team. They've mentally imploded year after year and coach after coach. I don't feel like the sense of "the wheels are coming off the wagon" has improved under Frost. It happened last year at Minnesota, Colorado and Ohio State.

But we want the same thing, let's hope we get there.

We got to do things the hard way... no favors for us

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I am soo over this mentality. If you want respect, then go effin earn it. If you can't do that, you don't deserve it. How much of an easier schedule do you want? We play in the fricken B1G West division. So big deal, we got the toughest possible schedule we could've this season. I say good, bring it. We'll either turn the corner or it will just be another of 20 years where we piss and moan again.

This season already has a big ole asterisk on it no matter what happens. We win em all and Covid is to blame. We lose em all and it's just that we still suck. Nothing to lose and everything to gain, with the best possible matchups for us fans to watch along the way. Finishing 2nd or 3rd or 4th in the B1G doesn't mean jack sh#t this year. Win some games of substance or shut up.

I think getting OSU first is a blessing in disguise.  It will probably be the healthiest our team will be and the best chance for an upset.  If Nebraska pulls off an upset it could set the stage for a new mentality that they seem to be lacking.  

• Plus1 2

I have no expectations of winning at Ohio State.  But if you're going to play tOSU, why not do it when both teams are rusty and at a disadvantage?  You really wanna do it when they are a well oiled machine halfway down the stretch?  Catch em early, probably our best case scenario of having a shot.  The Big Ten isn't screwing us over, everyone has to play someone.  Get over it Karen's.  People complained and complained because no football, now complaining about opposition.  Go figure.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, Redux said:

I have no expectations of winning at Ohio State.  But if you're going to play tOSU, why not do it when both teams are rusty and at a disadvantage?  You really wanna do it when they are a well oiled machine halfway down the stretch?  Catch em early, probably our best case scenario of having a shot.  The Big Ten isn't screwing us over, everyone has to play someone.  Get over it Karen's.  People complained and complained because no football, now complaining about opposition.  Go figure.

Exactly.  It's the first game of the year so my thoughts are that their superior depth at least has a little less of an impact.  And if it's a sloppy game you never know what can happen, maybe they make a few mistakes and maybe the ball bounces are way a couple times.  We went toe to toe with them two years ago and could have won that game.  Get your nutz strapped and let's go.