Schedule

Honestly i dont think ive seen a team this season that looks ready.  Lets hope frost can get the guys ready.  Im not a fair weathered fan so ill be rooting, ill be outside memorial stadium for the 1st home game if im allowed.  I wanted this, WE wanted this.  Lets prove we are the greatest fans in college football, let frost get the boys ready,

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

PSU and Ohio State were on our schedule for 2020, so they probably did not want to change much. Also, we get Wiscy at home again. I will take that over playing Purdue at home. 

With the OSU game, I hope we can at least be competitive a la 2018. Fields has a chance to have a Field day on us, but we all saw some Qbs-like Adrian- struggle in year two. Outside of OSU, we need to be competitive. Win one of Iowa, Wiscy, PSU. Iowa will not have as many fans on the road and the other two are at home. Do we finally beat the badgers? Does the team come ready to play and we beat Iowa? 

5 wins is what I want to see. We play 9- last opponent TBD-  but we need to get over the hump eventually by beating a team we shouldn't. 

• Plus1 2

Frost was fighting to have his team take the field against anyone..Well, he got his wish...I hope that he knows something we don’t. To be honest, I have no idea how we would fair this year but I sure am excited to see my beloved huskers play, win or lose. I just hope that we compete even if we lose and avoid any blow out losses. Other than that GO BIG RED! Let us hope this year is the year we turn this boat around. 

What in the hell are you guys complaining about? The BIG TEN just did us a huge favor! We have a stacked group of true and redshirt freshman, and a couple of stud transfers who get a free year of eligibility AND get to play the hardest competition the conference can throw at them. Trial by fire! These young men are going to learn what big time football is right away. Think about how that sets us up for the future. This is exactly what we need. If they win games they aren’t supposed to, their confidence is going to skyrocket.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ZMagers22 said:

What in the hell are you guys complaining about? The BIG TEN just did us a huge favor! We have a stacked group of true and redshirt freshman, and a couple of stud transfers who get a free year of eligibility AND get to play the hardest competition the conference can throw at them. Trial by fire! These young men are going to learn what big time football is right away. Think about how that sets us up for the future. This is exactly what we need. If they win games they aren’t supposed to, their confidence is going to skyrocket.

Maybe so.  But on the other hand, we go in and get manhandled out of the gates first couple games, it can be very hard to recover from blown confidence.  And we needed all the fall, winter, spring, summer, and now early fall football practices we could get.  We have not blocked or tackled or scrimmaged or executed live action, full speed and tempo, football (offense, defense and or spec teams) at all.  

Our new kicker is going to attempt his first ever kicks in American football in Ohio Stadium.   No fans so that could feel normal or not?  Probably just plain bizarre.  

What kind of attitude and effort and fire and energy can Frost get in a ‘private’ game setting?

Forget about the crowd support - there wont be any.  

All of these factors can cut both ways but OSU and WIS are the established gangs while we are the upstarts with everything to prove and no history.  It could be fun to watch but maybe it turns into a blood bath.  Lets hope and pray.  

On 9/19/2020 at 5:42 PM, knapplc said:

This schedule isn't punishment for anything. It's the same schedule, minus Rutgers, that we had before lawsuits and Frost saying we'd explore all options.

Instead of having it back-loaded to finish with a bunch of tough games, they front-loaded it. Why? Likely to have as much of a chance to have top teams play early as possible, to get as much TV revenue as possible.

It sounds like the conference didn't really even make the schedule. Sipple: "Although Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos was part of the Big Ten scheduling subcommittee, he obviously didn't have much influence on how the schedule came out. That makes sense considering the subcommittee hardly met. I'm told the conference schedule was largely determined by the league's television partners. TV rules the world."

Apparently conference payouts will likely end up being cut from around $55 million down to maybe $40 million. They're just trying to salvage as much TV revenue as they can this season. And what do you think is going to draw a bigger TV audience, Nebraska vs Penn State or Nebraska vs Rugters?

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Toe said:

It sounds like the conference didn't really even make the schedule. Sipple: "Although Nebraska athletic director Bill Moos was part of the Big Ten scheduling subcommittee, he obviously didn't have much influence on how the schedule came out. That makes sense considering the subcommittee hardly met. I'm told the conference schedule was largely determined by the league's television partners. TV rules the world."

They're trying to salvage as much TV revenue as they can this season. And what do you think is going to draw a bigger TV audience, Nebraska vs Penn State or Nebraska vs Rugters?

Exactly. They want the largest audiences they can get with the limited TV inventory they have.

It's really kind of easy to see how it's set up.  You play the division you're in - they have no control over that. All they have control over is the crossovers, and they've stacked them in such a way that they hope to get a Big Ten Championship featuring Ohio State and a team they think Ohio State can beat - Minnesota.

Nebraska isn't their choice to play in the CCG. We got, by far, the hardest two crossover games. Our opponents went a combined 24-3 last year. So they hope we're out.

Michigan is next, followed by Iowa. Their crossovers went a combined 21-6 and 20-8 last year. About as tough as you can get.

Surprisingly, they don't seem to want Wisconsin in the CCG. They have the fourth-toughest crossover, with opponents who went a combined 17-9.  

They seem to want Minnesota, or maybe even Northwestern. Minny's crossover opponents were under .500 at 12-13, while NW's were a paltry 10-15. 

Ohio State doesn't have the easiest crossover schedule - they have the second easiest. Their opponents went 11-14, while they have to play Michigan and Penn State, they have it the easiest out of all the other East teams. 

If it works out the way they hope, Ohio State wins the east, and based on their relative ease of schedule either Minnesota or Northwestern wins the West. Ohio State beats that team and has a shot at the playoffs, where they'll get the conference even more TV money.

It's all about the Benjamins.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly. They want the largest audiences they can get with the limited TV inventory they have.

It's really kind of easy to see how it's set up.  You play the division you're in - they have no control over that. All they have control over is the crossovers, and they've stacked them in such a way that they hope to get a Big Ten Championship featuring Ohio State and a team they think Ohio State can beat - Minnesota.

Nebraska isn't their choice to play in the CCG. We got, by far, the hardest two crossover games. Our opponents went a combined 24-3 last year. So they hope we're out.

Michigan is next, followed by Iowa. Their crossovers went a combined 21-6 and 20-8 last year. About as tough as you can get.

Surprisingly, they don't seem to want Wisconsin in the CCG. They have the fourth-toughest crossover, with opponents who went a combined 17-9.  

They seem to want Minnesota, or maybe even Northwestern. Minny's crossover opponents were under .500 at 12-13, while NW's were a paltry 10-15. 

Ohio State doesn't have the easiest crossover schedule - they have the second easiest. Their opponents went 11-14, while they have to play Michigan and Penn State, they have it the easiest out of all the other East teams. 

If it works out the way they hope, Ohio State wins the east, and based on their relative ease of schedule either Minnesota or Northwestern wins the West. Ohio State beats that team and has a shot at the playoffs, where they'll get the conference even more TV money.

Did you expect otherwise?   The Big Ten, nonsensically, focused on Big Ten $ and didnt care about the several members’ individual income.  In fact, it did the opposite by ensuring the only revenues to be made were conference wide.  The conference is all about the group and not the interests of the membership at large.  

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Did you expect otherwise?   The Big Ten, nonsensically, focused on Big Ten $ and didnt care about the several members’ individual income.  In fact, it did the opposite by ensuring the only revenues to be made were conference wide.  The conference is all about the group and not the interests of the membership at large.  

This is how conferences work. Congratulations on achieving a basic understanding of how college football works. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Yep.  However, I don't think they even cared about the CCG.  They wanted key matchups for TV.  We should actually be happy.  They view us against OSU as a key matchup week 1.  

In the end, it really doesn't matter the records of the teams, look at the fan bases.  OSU and Nebraska fans are going to be going crazy that first week and every single one will be watching.  Plus, many National people will be watching OSU.  

It wouldn't be anywhere close to the same if OSU was playing Northwestern and Nebraska was playing Indiana.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

We have not blocked or tackled or scrimmaged or executed live action, full speed and tempo, football (offense, defense and or spec teams) at all.  

Our new kicker is going to attempt his first ever kicks in American football in Ohio Stadium.   No fans so that could feel normal or not?  Probably just plain bizarre.  

What kind of attitude and effort and fire and energy can Frost get in a ‘private’ game setting?

Forget about the crowd support - there wont be any.  

Everyone is going through this so this isn't a worthy excuse.

• Plus1 1

I don't really care about the way the schedule turned out. We play in the Big 10, which means we will have to play a Big 10 conference schedule every year. Sometimes, that means having to play multiple really tough teams week in and week out.

I also don't think this has anything to do with Frost 'knowing something we don't' or some five-win Nebraska team trying to puff out its chest. This is about playing football. It's about getting better. Does anybody (particularly the national pundits) think football players/coaches want to sit idly by and waste an entire year of their careers without any sort of actual football on the field? I don't think so.

I also think this season, regardless of the outcome, will forever have an asterisk next to it to some degree. So I'm not really too concerned about the outcome. Everybody will remember that some teams played more than others, didn't play at all, or that the coronavirus impacted certain teams more than others.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Frost was fighting to have his team take the field against anyone..Well, he got his wish...I hope that he knows something we don’t.

If we can make improvements on defense with our back seven...and it sounds like we have...and our WRs are as billed, well...you bottle that and you'll have something sweeter than Yoohoo. 

Bonus points if you get the reference and don't Munson it up.

• Plus1 2